• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Netbind.exe

Started by Sigurd, 2009.03.13, 14:12:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurd

Hi,

another question: I try to get the Intel WLAN 5100 (8086:4237) to work with
GENMAC. I am now able to load the Driver in GENMAC unsupported mode but the boot
process hangs at "netbind.exe".

Where should I take a look at now? In protocol.ini everything seems to be OK, I
replaced NO and NO with ALL and UNSUPPORTED.

Any help appreciated.

Sigurd

ivan

Sorry but I don't have an answer to your problem but I would just like to ask anyone in the 'know' to write a 'how to' on using GENMAC in unsupported mode. 

warpcafe

Hi all,

regarding the how-to... perhaps this helps (a little at least)?
http://wse2008.warpevents.eu/uploads/tx_wseevents/wse2008_lan02_using_unsupported_nics_with_genmac.pdf

Then, for the netbind problem:
I had the exact same issue with eCS 2.0rc3 in end 2007 on my Thinkpad T42. I had an Atheros [something] that *should* have even be supported by GenMac back in this time. But... it always hung at netbind.exe... no resolution, even fiddeling around with the/alternate windows driver didn't help. I should have contacted Thorolf Godawa and dig into the stuff but I wasn't motivated enough I guess... I gave up on it, bought an Intel 2200BG MiniPCI for about 20 Euro on eBay and saw it working like a charm out of the box. Sorry to say.
OTOH, I don't think it is THAT complicated to work things out. However, there is always a risk of the device NEVER working which was a price I wasn't wiling to pay or invest time into.

Keeping fingers crossed for you though. ;)
Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

EugeneGorbunoff

btw,

if using bootable jfs then try chkdsk x: /f after hard traps

DougB

I have a similar problem, with an Intel 8086:4222 WLan. If I try to use ACPI, both of my NICs try to use IRQ0, which is not correct, and the system hangs solid, as soon as something tries to use either one.

If I don't use ACPI, I can get the wired NIC to work in GENMAC Unsupported mode, but the, supposedly supported, 8086:4222 just hangs on boot. It initially stops at NETBIND.EXE (sometimes traps), but if I leave it long enough, it will, very slowly proceed. After leaving it for a weekend, it actually got to the point where the SNAP picture was displayed. That would indicate, that it is actually some sort of tight loop that it gets itself into, which doesn't allow other things very many cycles. It has been more than a year now, and nobody has suggested any way to fix either problem.

This is in an Acer Aspire 4720 laptop, with Intel core duo processor. I use it, without ACPI (I use the older OS2ACPI.PSD to get it to run both processors), and I use the wired NIC (Broadcom 14E4:1693), in Unsupported mode with GENMAC (I can use that with WiFi, when I connect my Asus WL-330g device). Of course, it all works in VISTA, and, It all seems to work when I boot an Ubuntu CD (I haven't done enough with that to be sure). I am tempted to give up on this thing, and get something else.