• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Looking for a printer

Started by Tommy in Scotland, 2009.04.03, 11:54:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy in Scotland

I must buy a new printer. It must be able to print from OS/2 over a LAN (it will be set up on a Windows 2000 PC). What make and model would you recommend? Are the drivers easily obtained?

Paul Smedley

Hi Tommy,

Quote from: Tommy in Scotland on 2009.04.03, 11:54:50
I must buy a new printer. It must be able to print from OS/2 over a LAN (it will be set up on a Windows 2000 PC). What make and model would you recommend? Are the drivers easily obtained?

Look for a printer supported by Gutenprint - and use eCUPS (http://svn.netlabs.org/ecups)

Pete

Hi Tommy

When looking for a new printer I suggest you go for 1 that is postscript capable as you could then simply add the PPD file to the OS/2 Postscript printer. Well, "simply add the PPD file" may not be completely accurate as it may be a bit "fiddly" but you will end up with a fully working printer.

If you decide on a non-postscript printer then you need 1 that is supported by the CUPS package - see Pauls post - as "native" OS/2 printer driver support is now old and discontinued; although you may find a driver for an earlier model works but without fully supporting the printer ie some features may not exist and print quality could suffer.

If you fancy taking a chance on an older printer that definitely works well with Windows2000 and OS/2 systems I have a HP Business Inkjet 2250 that I was going to put up on ebay. This is a postscript capable printer and is in good working order. It will need a new set of cartridges though as it has been doing nothing for about a year - will also need a parallel printer lead. I think the cost of post would be around £20 but I'd only want £10 for the printer - need the space it is occupying. If this is of interest contact me directly losepete@ntlworld.com

Pete - in Oldham, England

Tommy in Scotland

Hi Pete, that sounds interesting. Does it plug into a parallel port? Does it use 4 separate cartridges?

Pete

Hi Tommy

Well, I did mention that it would need a parallel lead so the answer to "Does it plug into a parallel port?" is Yes  :-)

Yes to the "4 cartridges" question.

I can supply a manual on CD in PDF format - or by email - but do not have any spec sheets on the printer.

The OS/2 (Warp4 on) Postscript driver already has support for this printer built in.

I think I downloaded a "latest" driver for Windows2000 from HP... Sorry to be vague but rarely use W2K and last used the printer with W2K over a year ago.

You may want to have a look at the various HP docs for yourself  http://search.hp.com/query.html?charset=iso-8859-1&lk=1&la=en&nh=10&st=1&rf=0&qs=&hpvc=sitewide&uf=1&qt=HP+Business+Inkjet+2250+Printer&ocoldqt=2250&oc=21436

I do not have the original box but would make sure the printer is well protected against courier/parcel post tendencies to see if a parcel rattles after being dropped/kicked/thrown against the wall.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

If you want color, and you want laser, virtually any HP with PS support will work fine under OS/2. They come in tabloid and standard letter/legal variants... duplex, and non-duplex. Networked, and non-networked (which can then usually have an HP JetDirect card/adapter attached to them).

Pretty happy with the CLJ4600 I am using. And looking at one of the 5000 Series (forget exact model at the moment) which supports the larger tabloid (11x17) sized sheets.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

halgorithm

I've had very good luck with the HP Laserjet 4 PS drivers to pretty much any new HP printer (color or not).  My trick is to not print through a print server, but directly to the printer via LPRPORTD service using the IP address.  It works pretty snazy and it's pretty fast.

Tommy in Scotland

Hi Pete, I'm happy to go ahead with the purchase. Is there a driver CD included?

If dealing is not allowed on this website I'll send you my E-mail address later today, I'm just off to work.  :D

Pete

Hi Tommy

I should be able to burn a driver CD if needed for Windows2000 if needed - might be easier to download yourself via the url posted previously.

The OS/2 postscript driver already has support for this printer.

Regards

Pete