• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

A decent / better 3270 mainframe client

Started by halgorithm, 2009.04.04, 00:05:58

Previous topic - Next topic

halgorithm

Currently using the old ibm personal communicator 4.2 and it's not rendering some of our mainframe screens properly (some of the lines or dashes appear as SSSS symbols) and I'm looking at other solutions.  I went through hobbes and I didn't find one I really liked that was gui operated.

Anyone have any other opinions / thoughts?  Thanks!

RobertM

Try ZOC by EmTec (was ZappoCom) - runs under Windows and OS/2.

http://www.emtec.com/zoc/features.html

On the downloads page you will find:
ftp://ftp.us.emtec.com/zoc

Select the zoc\zoc4 directory to find v4.15 for OS/2.

Also check out the REXX tools if you want to use it for something more fancy than just a dumb client.

Rob

Note: Just fixed typo - I incorrectly typed "zov\zoc4" instead of "zoc\zoc4" - sorry.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

warpcafe

Hi,

I have to fully second Rob on the suggestion to give a try to Zoc.
Since I discovered it on the OS/2 platform about almost a decade ago, I'm still using it (today on a daily basis on Windows) to connect to any kind of Unix machine and mainframe, by tunnelled connections, whatever. I found it to be superior over Putty in almost any regard (not to mention the built-in rexx-based scripting support across platforms) and it even has more than nice features when plugging it to the big irons...

The "lifetime subscription" was one of the best investments I ever made.
I only wish they would come up with a v6-like thing for OS/2, supporting the tabbed-sessions. But I can live without that for sure... :)

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Glenn

Quote from: warpcafe on 2009.04.06, 11:14:32
I only wish they would come up with a v6-like thing for OS/2, supporting the tabbed-sessions. But I can live without that for sure... :)

I emailed them sometime ago, and they have stopped development for OS/2 and will not be making new versions of ZOC. I also loved this piece of software, but unless someone has a real daily need for it, I would advise not to invest in a new license. Except if we can push them into upgrading the OS/2 version by showing a significant number of people who would like to buy a new license or who would be willing to pay an upgrade fee. However, I remember that I tried doing that for the APSoft PC Card driver and there were so many conditions from people who would have been interested, and even so few people interested that I could never reach the quota they required for a driver upgrade. Therefore, I am not optimistic either on the outcome of such a request for ZOC, although updating a piece of software to match its Windows counterpart is certainly easier than updating drivers.

rudi

Quote from: warpcafe on 2009.04.06, 11:14:32

I heard the same note from another guy. IFAIK, the "lifetime subscription" he
purchased for OS/2 a long time ago is even valid for Mac version he is using now...

warpcafe

Quote from: rudi on 2009.04.08, 08:39:15
IFAIK, the "lifetime subscription" he purchased for OS/2 a long time ago is even valid for Mac version he is using now...

Yes, the license is so-called valid "cross-platform".
Although I would like to see a continuity of the development of the OS/2 version, I understand what the implications are and am more than happy that Emtec at least still keeps the downloadables available. ;)

Before someone starts a discussion on open-sourcing so-called abandonware:
I suppose open-sourcing the OS/2 version only is not possible and also believe that it wouldn't even make sense, since without access to the other plaforms source codes there's no chance to incorporate their improvements - besides rewriting them "from scratch"...

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy