• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

An Inquirer article gave eComstation a run for it

Started by RobertM, 2007.05.22, 20:54:15

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14433/2/
QuotePosted by Kim Haverblad - Thursday, 17 May 2007

Bar Wenc. .. .

In response, I sent the author this...

QuoteIt's a shame that you couldnt try the full version of eCS instead of just the demo CD. I've rarely had problems with eCS on any Thinkpad (old or new). There is driver support for the sound and network that would have taken very little effort (far less than you expended on *nix) to install to have a fully functional eCS install on the Thinkpad in question. And, having run (still running) Warp and eCS on ThinkPads as old as the venerable 10+ year old Thinkpad 600 and newer T23, T60 and others, I can tell you eCS and Warp fly on those machines. As yours fits between my TP600 (which came with a 233MHz CPU) and the T series, I'd say that eCS should have been blazingly fast on yours (as it is very snappy on my 600 which has less memory and far less CPU power).

And yes, eCS (like any OS) doesnt include every driver for every hardware configuration - especially the Demo CD which sacrifices room for other apps and doesnt have the most recent OS/2 drivers on the disk.

Also, as for your memory issues, try updating the BIOS to the most recent version and see if that resolves the BIOS confusion.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

obiwan

I thought the story in a way was rather frivolous. The eComStation demo wasn't the only option he investigated only cursorily. He concluded that the hardware was incompatible with Linux after a particular version of the kernel, which is unlikely, considering the way the Linux kernel is developed. More likely, the distros he tried simply left out the support to keep it light, but it could have been made to work with a custom compile.

In fairness, though, it is pretty clear the exercise was not for the purpose of exploring the best option, but only to quickly find out what could install easily and work. He did not want to spend much time, and wrote about it to spare others who might have the same desire. In the end, he is not even very satisfied with the option he chose, and declined to recommend it.

It is a good lesson in the fact that sometimes how easily something installs makes the difference between whether anything else about it is even considered.

MikeG

If I had given up on installing Warp 3 on an old 486 I wouldn't be using OS/2-eCS today. That was a pain in the...

Mike

blandreth

Running with the latest eCS v2b4 on a dual core system and it running really nice - I agree that it's a shame that they didn't have the opportunity to test out the latest eCS available. But, then again if IBM was bad on marketing Serenity have been to the same school and does it as piss poor IBM did it....