Author Topic: Looking for a printer  (Read 2979 times)

Tommy in Scotland

• View Profile
Looking for a printer
« on: 2009.04.03, 10:54:50 »
I must buy a new printer. It must be able to print from OS/2 over a LAN (it will be set up on a Windows 2000 PC). What make and model would you recommend? Are the drivers easily obtained?

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a printer
« Reply #1 on: 2009.04.03, 11:22:59 »
Hi Tommy,

I must buy a new printer. It must be able to print from OS/2 over a LAN (it will be set up on a Windows 2000 PC). What make and model would you recommend? Are the drivers easily obtained?

Look for a printer supported by Gutenprint - and use eCUPS (http://svn.netlabs.org/ecups)

EugeneGorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009.04.03, 11:45:23 »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009.04.03, 13:19:30 »
Hi Tommy

When looking for a new printer I suggest you go for 1 that is postscript capable as you could then simply add the PPD file to the OS/2 Postscript printer. Well, "simply add the PPD file" may not be completely accurate as it may be a bit "fiddly" but you will end up with a fully working printer.

If you decide on a non-postscript printer then you need 1 that is supported by the CUPS package - see Pauls post - as "native" OS/2 printer driver support is now old and discontinued; although you may find a driver for an earlier model works but without fully supporting the printer ie some features may not exist and print quality could suffer.

If you fancy taking a chance on an older printer that definitely works well with Windows2000 and OS/2 systems I have a HP Business Inkjet 2250 that I was going to put up on ebay. This is a postscript capable printer and is in good working order. It will need a new set of cartridges though as it has been doing nothing for about a year - will also need a parallel printer lead. I think the cost of post would be around £20 but I'd only want £10 for the printer - need the space it is occupying. If this is of interest contact me directly losepete@ntlworld.com

Pete - in Oldham, England

Tommy in Scotland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009.04.04, 17:49:35 »
Hi Pete, that sounds interesting. Does it plug into a parallel port? Does it use 4 separate cartridges?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009.04.04, 19:42:29 »
Hi Tommy

Well, I did mention that it would need a parallel lead so the answer to "Does it plug into a parallel port?" is Yes  :-)

Yes to the "4 cartridges" question.

I can supply a manual on CD in PDF format - or by email - but do not have any spec sheets on the printer.

The OS/2 (Warp4 on) Postscript driver already has support for this printer built in.

I think I downloaded a "latest" driver for Windows2000 from HP... Sorry to be vague but rarely use W2K and last used the printer with W2K over a year ago.

You may want to have a look at the various HP docs for yourself  http://search.hp.com/query.html?charset=iso-8859-1&lk=1&la=en&nh=10&st=1&rf=0&qs=&hpvc=sitewide&uf=1&qt=HP+Business+Inkjet+2250+Printer&ocoldqt=2250&oc=21436

I do not have the original box but would make sure the printer is well protected against courier/parcel post tendencies to see if a parcel rattles after being dropped/kicked/thrown against the wall.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • A.I.BuiltPC - using OS/2 Warp Server & eComStation for Custom Web and Database Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 2009.04.04, 20:52:36 »
If you want color, and you want laser, virtually any HP with PS support will work fine under OS/2. They come in tabloid and standard letter/legal variants... duplex, and non-duplex. Networked, and non-networked (which can then usually have an HP JetDirect card/adapter attached to them).

Pretty happy with the CLJ4600 I am using. And looking at one of the 5000 Series (forget exact model at the moment) which supports the larger tabloid (11x17) sized sheets.

Robert
|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

halgorithm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009.04.06, 21:24:38 »
I've had very good luck with the HP Laserjet 4 PS drivers to pretty much any new HP printer (color or not).  My trick is to not print through a print server, but directly to the printer via LPRPORTD service using the IP address.  It works pretty snazy and it's pretty fast.

Tommy in Scotland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009.04.09, 09:51:55 »
Hi Pete, I'm happy to go ahead with the purchase. Is there a driver CD included?

If dealing is not allowed on this website I'll send you my E-mail address later today, I'm just off to work.  :D

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009.04.09, 15:19:21 »
Hi Tommy

I should be able to burn a driver CD if needed for Windows2000 if needed - might be easier to download yourself via the url posted previously.

The OS/2 postscript driver already has support for this printer.

Regards

Pete