• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Third IDE card

Started by sdennis, 2009.02.09, 06:55:42

Previous topic - Next topic

sdennis

Hi, everyone-

I'm needing to install a third IDE card for my main OS/2 box (runs my servers).  Any recommendations?

I was looking at getting this one:

http://www.microbarn.com/details.aspx?rid=100213&source=pricewatch

Thanks,
Sean
OS/2: Shuts gates, opens windows.

cyber

Good luck  :D, I've have mobo with 2 separate controlers (up to 8 IDE devices) and have no problems ever under OS/2 4.52 with Daniela drivers, while for example XP wont run, W98SE and Knopix works fine.

sdennis

Quote from: cyber on 2009.02.10, 08:59:44
Good luck  :D, I've have mobo with 2 separate controlers (up to 8 IDE devices) and have no problems ever under OS/2 4.52 with Daniela drivers, while for example XP wont run, W98SE and Knopix works fine.

Actually, that's what I was wanting to hear!  8)  I'll get one of those and make sure I put Dani's drivers in first.

Thanks for the advice!

--Sean
OS/2: Shuts gates, opens windows.

cyber

Under both OS/2 or eCS with Daniela drivers there is not much to say about this. In my machine with builtin ATA33 + ATA66 there is no combination wich does not work !, it is only significiant speedup if controlers have exlusive (not shared) IRQs. On the other side... the Dark side... it work until I put rest of cards inside mobo - AWE32, Realtek network and TV tuner.

cyber

Is it work for You to ? :)

RobertM

This should work without problem - it has worked since Warp v3. I've run four IDE controllers in a system. All I had to do was specify the base addresses of each in the config.sys file. The only thing to ensure is of course no resource conflicts.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

cyber

By four You mean 4x2x2 devices ??? I wasn't do anything with base addresses, both Danis and IBMS drivers can see and use all connected devices (4HDD, CD, DVD was maximum connected) by default settings, only some issues with DVD burner, doesn't want to work while on second controler.

RobertM

Quote from: cyber on 2009.04.10, 16:01:06
By four You mean 4x2x2 devices ??? I wasn't do anything with base addresses, both Danis and IBMS drivers can see and use all connected devices (4HDD, CD, DVD was maximum connected) by default settings, only some issues with DVD burner, doesn't want to work while on second controler.

Hi,

No, I mean 4 controllers, by 2 drives = 8 drives. Not 4 controller cards by 2 ports (per card) by 2 drives. Sorry for the confusion. Though, I dont see why that scenario would not work as well - assuming you had the resources available (IRQs and address space). I kind of suspect that the IRQs may end up being an issue though (unless the machine was very bare bones).

I most definitely had issues where there were shared IRQs (with the IDE controllers). On a side note, I think I tried this around Warp 3 - and using the original IBM drivers. I am not sure if specifying the resources on the driver line in the config.sys using Dani's drivers is necessary (though I suspect it may be).

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

cyber

Ahaa, I have right now at home 2 controllers, each one with two separate "port" so it is 2x2x2 devices. Address space should not be problem, but You may easy have lack of free IRQ's. Even then, when using shared IRQ's for disk controler OS/2 and eCS can use all drives with speed sometimes much lower and CPU usage is offten much higher than on exclusive IRQ's.  On for example ctGUI/Valknut usage You will not notice any problem even when both controler share same IRQ, but on video capture performace may be much reduced or even been useless.  Recomendation is that controler should not share IRQ with other controler, but with any other cards. And while Windows systems try to manage resource independent from BIOS, it is good to manage BIOS to have not conflict and if possible shared resources before booting OS/2 or eCS. Then, using Dani's drivers isn't necessary to specify anything.