• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

New old topic--portable printer

Started by rcrmonte3, 2007.05.22, 21:35:38

Previous topic - Next topic

rcrmonte3

Hi

My portable printer is a Canon USB PIXMA iP90 photo printer. It is attached to my eCS 1.2 notebook via USB cable. I have the printer installed as a Canon i950 using Omni.drv. I have paper in the printer and the printer is turned on. When I try to print a report, I get the following message:

JobID 3 on Canon i950
   Your printer is not responding and may be offline

The printer is NOT offline as far as I can tell. When I installed the printer in eCS, did I tell the driver the wrong printer? The iP90 is not listed on the Canon install list. Should I be usint the Postscript driver? Should I use the Laserprint(I think thats what it is) driver? Should I tell the install that it's a different printer? If so, which printer should I tell it to emulate?

I probably have more questions that I haven't thought of, but any answers you can give to the above questions will be more than helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Dennis

rcrmonte3

Sorry--i meant Laserjet.drv, not Laserprint.....

rcrmonte3

Here's another oops--I forgot: the printer is plugged into a USB port, but is installed on LPT1. Is that a problem? If so, how do I install the printer to a USB port?

RobertM

Quote from: rcrmonte3 on 2007.05.22, 21:45:58
Here's another oops--I forgot: the printer is plugged into a USB port, but is installed on LPT1. Is that a problem? If so, how do I install the printer to a USB port?

Therein lies the problem - make sure the USBPrnt driver is installed and re-select the port. That should do it (or at least something... )  ;)

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

rcrmonte3

Robert
Hardware Manager shows USB Printer Driver as a parallel device. Am I looking at the right thing? If not, how do I determine if the USBPrnt driver is installed? How do I re-select the port? The only ports I show are either parallel (LPT) or COM

BigWarpGuy

In the printer properties, does it show an USB port in the ports section? If not, it could be that the USBprinter driver is not installed(?).

rcrmonte3

Here is what is in the Printer Properties Output Port section:

LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, COM1, COM2, \PIPE\LPD0  There is NO USB port shown.

I have no clue as to what the last one is.

I have eCS 1.2 installed. I thought it would install the USP printer drivers when I installed eCS. Did I do something wrong when I installed eCS? How do I solve the problem?

RobertM

Quote from: rcrmonte3 on 2007.05.22, 23:37:55
Here is what is in the Printer Properties Output Port section:

LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, COM1, COM2, \PIPE\LPD0  There is NO USB port shown.

I have no clue as to what the last one is.

I have eCS 1.2 installed. I thought it would install the USP printer drivers when I installed eCS. Did I do something wrong when I installed eCS? How do I solve the problem?

Look in the config.sys and try to find USBPRNT.SYS or USBPRINT.SYS (dont remember which) and see if it is remmed out.

Alternately, somewhere in the help files are instructions to get USB Print support installed - at which time, you should see a USB option in the Ports window somewhere after the LPT and/or PIPE ports.

If you cant get it to work or show up, let me know and I will check out an eCS machine and see what I can dig up for you (currently working on a Warp Server 4.52 machine with limited USB support installed).

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

rcrmonte3

Thanks, Robert

The line in config.sys reads Device=C:\OS2\Boot\usbprt.sys, and it is not remmed out. That is the on ly line in config.sys that comes close to usbprnt/print.

Couldn't locate install instructions in usbprt.hlp or install.hlp.

Too bad the printer doesn't have a parallel port. It would be working...

Dennis

BigWarpGuy

rcrmonte3

Hi, All!

Just a note to say Thank You for all your help in getting my printer working.  Using all your tips and a bit of extra cussing, swearing, and "adjusting" on my part, my portable printer now works.

Thank you again!

Dennis