• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Need to reboot to eCS command prompt with just base os with no gui/wps.

Started by NNYITGuy, 2009.04.27, 02:25:59

Previous topic - Next topic

NNYITGuy

Hi there,

I need to reboot from a full eCS WPS to a base eCS command prompt so then a cmd script can be run.  I am not looking for just a command prompt from the desktop...

I think the base OS eCS installer might have this capability  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you,
Todd Simpson
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

Pete

Hi Todd

You want to boot to a fullscreen command line?

If you have Boot Manager installed then select to boot that eCS volume, press Enter and *immediately* press Alt-F1; at the next menu select F2 which should get you to the command prompt.

Be aware this uses a config.sys file based on the install - [BootDrive]:\os2\boot\config.x - rather than the config.sys file you would normally use so any extra bits added into the config.sys since install may need adding to this file.

If you do not have Boot Manager installed I guess the "workaround" would be to backup the existing config.sys file and then copy [BootDrive]:\os2\boot\config.x to [BootDrive]:\config.sys

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Hi Todd,

Pete's suggestion should work even without bootmanager installed. Simply wait for the white eCS BootBlob and then hit ALT-F1 to get to the recovery menu - then select F2

This will be on the top left of the screen (except of course, the text and block will be white on black - not black on white):

____ eCS

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

NNYITGuy

Thanks Pete and Robert.  My whole goal is to have the process under program control. So I will try the rename of rename of config.sys to *.wrk and ren config.x *.sys to boot in full screen command prompt.

In the mean time, What can I add to the config.x to run another cmd script?

Thank you!
Todd

cyber

Quote from: NNYITGuy on 2009.04.27, 15:19:24
Thanks Pete and Robert.  My whole goal is to have the process under program control. So I will try the rename of rename of config.sys to *.wrk and ren config.x *.sys to boot in full screen command prompt.

In the mean time, What can I add to the config.x to run another cmd script?

Thank you!
Todd

Depend on what this script should do, atleast You may need REXX is required ?  Another way is that use different approach; just REM original line in config.sys 'SET RUNWORKPLACE=pmshell.exe' and add 'SET RUNWORKPLACE=any_thirdparty_shell_replacement' such as AT SHELL, and You can got fully funtional system with all drivers (include graphics, network) but without GUI and WPS. You can for example manage to start some security program, and when finished and exit, automaticly start PMSHELL.EXE.

NNYITGuy

Thank you everyone.  Hope to got on this later in the week.  My schedule is now crushed...

Todd