• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Simple Firefox Tab Tip

Started by RobertM, 2009.04.28, 02:10:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hey all,

Very interesting and simple Firefox tip. I've got the "Tab Mix Plus" extension loaded in my FF installation, but I dont think it is necessary for this tip to work.

Anyway, I find that if I have a lot of tabs open and try to navigate through them via the left or right arrows on the tab bar, that FF sometimes (well, often for me) becomes unresponsive - sometimes triggering OS/2 to take focus away from FF. That generally takes a few seconds for FF to become responsive at that point.

I've found that using the scroll wheel on my mouse (or similar functionality programmed into other pointing devices), that putting the mouse over the tab row, and then using the scroll wheel has (to date anyway) never made FF unresponsive. For me, "wheel up/forward" moves the tabs to the right, and the reverse action obviously moves them left.

This action (just like using the left/right buttons on the tab bar) does not change the page that you are on - it just moves tabs on and off the screen, allowing you to select tabs that were otherwise hidden.

The slower the system, the more beneficial this probably is. And if your system is blazingly fast, this tip may be a moot point.
;)

Idiotic tip, very simple - but for me, it makes FF much more usable.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Rob Claessen

I have done that a bit different. I've added the following to the userchrome.css file:
/* Give the tabbar a scrollbar ********************************************************************/

.tabbrowser-strip /* .tabs-frame*/ {
display: block;
height: 56px !important ;
overflow: scroll !important;
overflow-y: hidden !important;
margin-left: -0.03em;}
.tabs-bottom-spacer {
display: none !important;}
.scrollbutton-up, .scrollbutton-down {
display: none !important;}

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

This gives the tabbar a scrollbar which I can move right and left very easy. This is for FF version 2.x, I believe it does work for FF 3.x too, but I haven't tried it yet.
I too have "Tab Mix Plus" installed, but I can't remember if it's necessary for it to work.
Rob Claessen