• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Smartsuite

Started by doodad, 2009.04.28, 16:01:27

Previous topic - Next topic

doodad

looking for Smartsuite for OS/2 Warp 4 v1.7 + fp3 for cheap. Stucking using 16bit office suites for now.  :(

Thomas

Hello doodad,

I suggest to contact Mensys. Not long time ago I did buy it from them.
They offered a download as they did not have a CD-Version anymore. That was okay for me.

Thomas

doodad

I checked with them and the price was 320  :o was hoping they'd have some educational discount, but they don't. I haven't seen any copies on ebay either.  :'(

osw

Quote from: doodad on 2009.04.29, 12:34:40
I checked with them and the price was 320  :o was hoping they'd have some educational discount, but they don't. I haven't seen any copies on ebay either.  :'(

What!!!!!!
320 of what?!!!! Euros, dollars, cents ;).....?!!!!
Well, actually it's more than 320 euros to pay for dead suite....
Are they nut? Do they think os/2 users are retarded? Unless you have lot of data depending on lotus suite formats it makes no sense for individual user to buy it - given the fact it doesn't follow any modern file formats and won't be developed any more.
Don't be silly and forget lotus smart suite (buying it isn't smart at all) .... better to pay for openoffice/2 (much cheaper, modern and still developed...)   
Btw  I did grab a copy of smartsuite few years ago - "just for educational purposes, you know..." and have found it pretty obsolete and almost useless for any serious work... so I stop bother. You shouldn't bother also... it's old piece of crap not worth paying for it anymore...

But if you still want to try it, look for one on torrentz...

just my 2 cents....

lpino

Quote from: osw on 2009.04.29, 14:11:51
Quote from: doodad on 2009.04.29, 12:34:40

What!!!!!!
320 of what?!!!! Euros, dollars, cents ;).....?!!!!
Well, actually it's more than 320 euros to pay for dead suite....
Are they nut? Do they think os/2 users are retarded? Unless you have lot of data depending on lotus suite formats it makes no sense for individual user to buy it - given the fact it doesn't follow any modern file formats and won't be developed any more.
Don't be silly and forget lotus smart suite (buying it isn't smart at all) .... better to pay for openoffice/2 (much cheaper, modern and still developed...)   
Btw  I did grab a copy of smartsuite few years ago - "just for educational purposes, you know..." and have found it pretty obsolete and almost useless for any serious work... so I stop bother. You shouldn't bother also... it's old piece of crap not worth paying for it anymore...

But if you still want to try it, look for one on torrentz...

just my 2 cents....

Well 320 for a dead software is crazy. Still I disagree with the opinion that it's useless. In fact I find it very usefull, FAST!!! and complete enough for 99% of my needs. I love WordPro and I still find it far superior to Word (only office word 2007 is getting closer).

The only real nag is the quality of fonts display. Doesn't work very well with Innotek font engine so it looks bad compare to newer word processors, but if you are patient and configure it right, you can make it look fairly well.

Regards

cyber

Quote from: lpino on 2009.04.29, 16:07:20
Quote from: osw on 2009.04.29, 14:11:51

Well 320 for a dead software is crazy. Still I disagree with the opinion that it's useless. In fact I find it very usefull, FAST!!! and complete enough for 99% of my needs. I love WordPro and I still find it far superior to Word (only office word 2007 is getting closer).

The only real nag is the quality of fonts display. Doesn't work very well with Innotek font engine so it looks bad compare to newer word processors, but if you are patient and configure it right, you can make it look fairly well.

Regards

I do not know for Lotus Suite, as I newer use it, but Star Office 5.0 can do 100% of what I need (except for newer  formats), it is FAST even on old good 200 MHz PI, and best of all: it is free. Also SO 5.0 formats are readable on all new OOo without problems.

jep

Hi,

well, not exactly what you asked about, but still interesting, especially now that I've pointed Paul to LWP Filter that seem to handle Lotus SmartSuite WordPro files.

//Jan-Erik

Andi

.... Also SO 5.0 formats are readable on all new OOo without problems.
I do have here a few socalc (5.1) files with diagramms. But one of them do not work correct on every OO version I tried. It was told to me, that some things are broken even for importing SO51 files in favor of being more compatible to excel :-(

cyber

Quote from: Andi on 2009.04.30, 12:46:25
.... Also SO 5.0 formats are readable on all new OOo without problems.
I do have here a few socalc (5.1) files with diagramms. But one of them do not work correct on every OO version I tried. It was told to me, that some things are broken even for importing SO51 files in favor of being more compatible to excel :-(

I wasn't use diagramms... but I presume that there is possibility to got `em in OOo;

1. use export in Office (xls) format under SOcalc and load this in to OOo.
2. transfer just data table and make diagram funtions under OOo.

I've till now found incompatibility only in oposite way; exporting calc documents with OOo in to SO 5.x formats mostly does not work, but exporting `em in to 'dark side' format and then load with SO work great.

Hope this little trick (1.) will work for You.

MitchellT

There is a SmartSuite box on eBay right now.  11 hours left on it.

doodad

Quote from: MitchellT on 2009.04.30, 18:38:49
There is a SmartSuite box on eBay right now.  11 hours left on it.
unless I'm mistaken, it was for smartsuite 96 for os/2, which is quite old.

oli

Another option is to get hold of a used copy of ecomstation on ebay etc. All versions come with fairly recent version of Smartsuite, it is not tied to ecs in any way except license wise

And why not Openoffice ?

it is not that expencive

Does in not work on Warp 4?

Saijin_Naib

Where is SmartSuite for eCS? Is that a disk 2 program?

lewhoo

Well, SmartSuite was superior to OpenOffice in many ways. In some ways (like importing MSOffice documents) it was not. But still, I would prefer to make a presentation in Freelance than in Impress. If I were not using latex&beamer :)

miturbide

uhm... the IBM site doesn't say anything about getting SmartSuite for OS/2 Price.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/products/smartsuite/os2.html

I'm not sure if buying "   IBM Lotus SmartSuite User License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D5CTSLL) " from IBM will entitle you to use the OS/2 version.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/products/smartsuite/
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com