• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Danis

Started by cyber, 2009.04.30, 16:41:54

Previous topic - Next topic

cyber

From http://blog.netlabs.org/?p=199

"As some of you might know, Daniela Engert also decided to stop development of her famous DANIS506 driver."

Is this true ?  :'(

rwklein

Quote from: cyber on 2009.04.30, 16:41:54
From http://blog.netlabs.org/?p=199

"As some of you might know, Daniela Engert also decided to stop development of her famous DANIS506 driver."

Is this true ?  :'(

I can confirm this. Daniela also said this to me in an email.  I posted this is as a comment on the website of Netlabs:

"Also the DANIS506.ADD driver we will continue to develop it. Right now the driver supports SATA and PATA controllers. Right now research is being done by a developer to get AHCI support on eComStation. The follow up of the SATA standard which is slowly coming in new machines. This will be for the release of eComStation past eComStation 2.0."

We is Mensys/Serenity Systems.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

cyber

Quote from: rwklein on 2009.04.30, 17:09:02
I can confirm this. Daniela also said this to me in an email.  I posted this is as a comment on the website of Netlabs:

"Also the DANIS506.ADD driver we will continue to develop it. Right now the driver supports SATA and PATA controllers. Right now research is being done by a developer to get AHCI support on eComStation. The follow up of the SATA standard which is slowly coming in new machines. This will be for the release of eComStation past eComStation 2.0."

OK. This is good reason to start panic.  :o

Daniela's work for comunity during many past years is/was IMHO most important to us, users of OS/2 and Your's eCS.   She was kind to confirm this by mail to me to.  :'(

RobertM

cyber:

I dont think it's as devastating a blow as you make it sound. Seems in that same post Roderick has let us know that Mensys/Serenity will be taking up the project. So, (1) big thanks to them, and (2) a very big thank you to Daniela for all the years of hard work and support! That is something that is probably long overdue on all our parts (Sorry Dani... I know I sent you a thank you note once... but it's been a while, and I have appreciated your work every day). Thanks to Dani's hard work, accessing IDE and SATA drives has been one of the few things we have not had to worry about. My best wishes to you Dani on your future endeavors!!!

Robert

PS: I owe many thanks to many other unsung heros as well... (in no particular order) Peter Moylan, Paul Smedley, Peter Weilbacher, Igor Pol, Mike Kaply, Eugene and the gang at Linking to this site is not permitted on our forums, Scott Garfinkle, Roderick and the rest of the gang at Mensys and Serenity, Cris W., everyone who's worked on Odin, EMX and GCC, and so many others over the years. Thank you all... mentioned and unmentioned in this post.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

chennecke

I tend to agree with cyber regarding the severity of that decision. Quite frankly, I doubt that Mensys will be able to find somebody with the skill set required for continuing development of that driver.

rwklein

Quote from: chennecke on 2009.05.02, 12:37:42
I tend to agree with cyber regarding the severity of that decision. Quite frankly, I doubt that Mensys will be able to find somebody with the skill set required for continuing development of that driver.

I would not make the statement unless I feel comfortable with the developer that is going todo the work.
Hence I would also not make statements about Flash 9/10 unless there is progress.

Of course the proof of pudding is publication of a binary :-)

I have talked to Daniela at Warpstock a couple of times and she is very highly skilled developer with in depth knowledge.
That is not to say that nobody can update the current drivers she made because the source code in in Netlabs SVN.
It will take a couple of months to get there.

Hence look at the Panorama driver. Everybody thought the stop of development of SNAP would be doom and glome. Now there are laptops like my T60 I'm typing this up that run just fine with Panorama and the graphics performance is quite nice.

But again proof of the pudding. The developer is there, the funding is there. And most likely (99% chance) the AHCI driver will be GPL code.

Daniela is very talented. But I guess nobody really ever cared to look at the Daniela driver because she always did the development and took it for granted. So thats why nobody developed it... So why say nobody can do the development ? :-)

Roderick Klein
Mensys

chennecke

I'm not saying that nobody can do the development. But judging from what I've seen over the past years, finding someone with the right skill set and the time and willingness to take over has become a huge problem, especially if drivers are concerned. If you have found such a person, I'm definitely all happy about that. That certainly takes a load of my mind. :)

rwklein

Quote from: chennecke on 2009.05.03, 13:21:10
I'm not saying that nobody can do the development. But judging from what I've seen over the past years, finding someone with the right skill set and the time and willingness to take over has become a huge problem, especially if drivers are concerned. If you have found such a person, I'm definitely all happy about that. That certainly takes a load of my mind. :)

I would not speak up in public unless I found confident I have found somebody that can do the job :-)

Roderick Klein
Mensys

Andi

I don't know why you  make a mystery about the name of the developer, but you will have your reasons. The list of developers isn't that long anyway and maybe you only want us keep in excitement :-)  Happy puzzling...

rwklein

Quote from: Andi on 2009.05.03, 20:07:34
I don't know why you  make a mystery about the name of the developer, but you will have your reasons. The list of developers isn't that long anyway and maybe you only want us keep in excitement :-)  Happy puzzling...

Some of the developers we have, like the one who is working on Flash I want to keep his name silent to some degree silent. I rather have most of our developers work in silence on projects. Most people also don't know who makes the Open Office port to OS/2/eComStation.
In the past some of the developers where washed with emails people asking if they could have the latest beta of something.
Over the years we have learned that its better if the developer can work on the project.

As with Flash its just the proof of the pudding so the eCS community can get binary to judge for them selves.

And yes I do have access to some developers not generally  known in the community.  Infact have access some of these people are ex IBM nobody knows even anymore or at least few people... People that worked in Boca Raton, Texas where OS/2 was partly developed.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

Robert Deed

I personally hope you do have a good driver to work on it, since the ability to actually perform a cold boot is very important to an operating system. 

As is, I am currently not running eComstation anymore at this moment because of lack of hardware in which to run it on. 

While panorama's performance may be tolerable to you, I found it horribly slow, bringing back memories of the Cirrus chip in my old Packard Bell running OS/2 2.11.   eComstation refuses to load at all on my T500 (mostly due to bios settings which make vista tolerable, and partially due to hardware options I chose such as TurboMemory)  and generally lack of any drivers from networking through sound and video. 

Now I'm looking forward to renewing my ecomstation subscription and getting my older desktop which has run it for years back in running order. 

Anyway.. Best of luck supporting Dani's driver.  I don't think it is as impossible a task as some of the people have made it out to be.. 

Quote from: rwklein on 2009.05.02, 16:07:17
Quote from: chennecke on 2009.05.02, 12:37:42

I would not make the statement unless I feel comfortable with the developer that is going todo the work.
Hence I would also not make statements about Flash 9/10 unless there is progress.

Of course the proof of pudding is publication of a binary :-)

I have talked to Daniela at Warpstock a couple of times and she is very highly skilled developer with in depth knowledge.
That is not to say that nobody can update the current drivers she made because the source code in in Netlabs SVN.
It will take a couple of months to get there.

Hence look at the Panorama driver. Everybody thought the stop of development of SNAP would be doom and glome. Now there are laptops like my T60 I'm typing this up that run just fine with Panorama and the graphics performance is quite nice.

But again proof of the pudding. The developer is there, the funding is there. And most likely (99% chance) the AHCI driver will be GPL code.

Daniela is very talented. But I guess nobody really ever cared to look at the Daniela driver because she always did the development and took it for granted. So thats why nobody developed it... So why say nobody can do the development ? :-)

Roderick Klein
Mensys

cyber

To Roderick: will this project include only new DANIS506 driver, or is it posible to we see updating of LVM and DASD manager ?  I'm not a programer, just an AIHU, but look's to me that existing DASD and LVM are deficient ?  There is also starting point; DASD manager writen by Daniela, but for non-LVM systems only. It support more partitions than LVM system, and make more easy using external memory devices, like flash disks ?

rwklein

Quote from: cyber on 2009.05.04, 10:06:43
To Roderick: will this project include only new DANIS506 driver, or is it posible to we see updating of LVM and DASD manager ?  I'm not a programer, just an AIHU, but look's to me that existing DASD and LVM are deficient ?  There is also starting point; DASD manager writen by Daniela, but for non-LVM systems only. It support more partitions than LVM system, and make more easy using external memory devices, like flash disks ?

Right now the danis506 driver. This is past eCS 2.0 as I mentioned before. The DASD stuff is also on the list to be done but this is after AHCI support.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

cyber

I agreed; primary is to got eCS 2.0 finalised. Also updating DemoCD. Do You plane some comercials and ads when eCS 2.0 finaly is done ? Any campaign on medias ? Give free copy of OS to magazines to test ?

It is nice for me to see that DASD finaly include in to-do list. :)  Some users doesn't care, but for me is important that I can import data on main machine from wide range of flash disks wich isn't mine, and can't be prepared for eCS. There is no way to convince anyone how good OS You use while shutingdown and boot diferent OS to just read content of flash wich can be read everywhere else. :(

Saijin_Naib

^ Agree cyber. USB MSC and MTP/PTP devices really should be supported seamlessly. They are far too prevalent and important today.