• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How to set up monitor refresh rate

Started by slafran, 2009.05.19, 15:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

slafran

Hello,

I have installed OS2 WARP4 on a computer with a Cirrus ISA video card. The video drivers are included into OS2, the installation is OK, it works pretty fine with a CRT monitor but if I want to use a LCD monitor it does not work. LCD monitor display a message like "refresh rate out of range". Actualy if I use the OSD of my CRT screen I can see that refresh rate is set to 90Hz with is to much for LCD.

So my question is : How to change the refresh rate of the monitor in OS2 Warp4 ?

Seb

cyber

RMB anywhere on desktop and select System setup, then  Screen icon.
It may vary, depending on graphic drivers installed. But Screen properties should be right place.

slafran

Thanks for your reply,

I fact I have no display utility under configuration folder. The only thing I can change is the resolution using "system" icon. I read in a readme.txt driver to Install Using Display Adapter Utility Program... I'm gona try

ivan

Since you are using the old Cirrus drivers there is not much you can do in the way of changing the video.  If my memory is correct - I had one of those cards long, long ago - trying to run a LCD with the origional driver is just about impossible.

I would suggest you get OS2MT http://www.os2mt.tk/ and use it to bring uour system up to date.  That way you can use the SciTech SNAP Graphics driver which will allow many more options.

BTW the Screen icon cyber is referring to is from SNAP.

cyber

Ahh, 10 or more years on Snap, I've totally forgot how is without.
slafran: If You have problems to find latest free version of Snap, I can send You by mail.

slafran

Thank you Ivan for helping an OS2 Novice. I guess "SciTech SNAP Graphics driver" is a kind of generic driver allowing to use new graphic adapter with OS2 ? 

I will try it ! Keep you aware.

cyber : If you can send me the latest snap version it would be very nice from you. My email : slafran@gmail.com

slafran

Could someone send me the latest snap version please : slafran@gmail.com

ivan

slafran, go to http://os2site.com/sw/drivers/video/scitech/snap/index.html and get snap-os2-3.1.8.exe and the snap-os2-3.1.8.free-reg-code.txt.

Saijin_Naib

SNAP is much better than a generic driver. It actually provides hardware acceleration for many, many chipsets under OS/2 up until the ATI X300 or so and the Nvidia GeForce 6600.

slafran

I have install Fix pack 15 and snap sriver. I was trying to configure my video adapter and I've done something wrong (select advance setup in snap driver and LCD monitor) witch made my system to hang. I have now a black screen. problem is, each time I reboot, OS2 launch again the advance setup and my computer hang again. Is there any way to prevent OS2 to launch the previous loaded task ?

ivan

When the computer boots you should see the 'boot blob' at the top left corner - a white square with OS/2 beside it - which stays for a few seconds.  While it is on the screen hold down alt and then press F1 - this will bring up the emergency screen from which you can select either to go to your original install configuration or to just revert to VGA which will allow you to boot and re-install snap.

One thing I forgot to say.  With your setup you don't need to use advanced to set up your monitor with SNAP.  The first page of the system object is the screen page, click on the + sign in the right top corner - by the folded over corner - this gives you the monitor page where you can select your monitor.

cyber

There is more than one way this can be fixed, but Scitech recomended this:

---------->8---------->8---------->8---------->8---------->8---------->8---------->8
From snapos2.pdf:

Restoring Your System in Case of Failure

If SciTech SNAP Graphics does not correctly boot on your system, you
can easily switch back to the GENGRADD drivers to boot your system to
a workable state again. To revert to GENGRADD, do the following:

1. Boot to an Alt-F1/F2 command prompt mode

2. Edit CONFIG.SYS file and change

C1=SDDGRADD
to
C1=GENGRADD

3. Delete or rename the x:\os2\svgadata.pmi file

4. Reboot your system.

If that fails you will need to revert to VGA mode and reinstall your
prior display drivers (Alt-F1/F3 for Warp 4 and later systems during
bootup).

Note: Even if you use GENGRADD, you should still be able to run the
SciTech SNAP Graphics command line utilities, provided that you didn't
remove any of the SciTech SNAP Graphics files or the
DEVICE=X:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS line from your CONFIG.SYS.
---------->8---------->8---------->8---------->8---------->8---------->8---------->8

Also, You might try fastest way of reset to 640x480 without going to VGA by wiping your settings in \os2\drivers\snap\config.  Smart way is that You backup 'em first (copy to new name, then delete).

Also I presume that You have default statement in config.sys SET RESTARTOBJECTS=YES, this can cause similar problems in future: I recomend that You change this to SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY.  This way, only programs that are in startup folder will automaticly start when boot.

cyber

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.05.20, 17:02:21
SNAP is much better than a generic driver. It actually provides hardware acceleration for many, many chipsets under OS/2 up until the ATI X300 or so and the Nvidia GeForce 6600.

Yes. Even some generic drivers work double faster than Snap driver (NeoMagic, MagicGraph) there is lack off support for SDL apps and for all video players.

slafran

Thank you every body for your great support. I finally succeed to install snap driver and it works very well with my LCD screen... For information I finally give up with my Cirrus logic, in fact I use the mother board embedded video card (S3 Savage pro 4).