• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

RSYNC for eCS... Compatible with other platform RSYNC?

Started by NNYITGuy, 2009.06.03, 23:03:50

Previous topic - Next topic

NNYITGuy

Hi Everyone,

Does our RSYNC tool for eCS have any restrictions that would prohibit the use of RSYNC from other platforms?

Thank you,
Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

abwillis

In theory it should work fine... YMMV as I don't know how well tested RSYNC is on OS/2 (originally Paul built it on request but didn't really use it himself, the current version though has a "bunch of patches from Steve Levine" so I am guessing it received testing and subsequent patches so should be reasonably solid).

Blonde Guy

If I have rsync, and I want to sync two OS/2 drives d: and f:, I'd want to use

rsync -a -r d:\ f:\

but that doesn't work -- rsync complains that relative directory with drive letter not supported f:\ util.c(1097)

Instead it copies all of d:\ to the current directory.

This looks like a great backup utility.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Paul Smedley

Quote from: NNYITGuy on 2009.06.03, 23:03:50
Hi Everyone,

Does our RSYNC tool for eCS have any restrictions that would prohibit the use of RSYNC from other platforms?

I have the rsync daemon running on an eCS box, and use the rsync client on our Macbook to backup data and it works fine.

Cheers,

Paul.

NNYITGuy

Thank you for the input.  I want to build a hosted solution on eCS for other client OS systems to back to.  I needed to find out general info before I built my w32 solution for my clients.  I have an existing solution based on dsync pulls the entire modified file set over the broadband link.  So the evolution is to next use a differencing technology like RSYNC...

Thanks again and wish me luck!

Todd

warpcafe

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

NNYITGuy

Hello All,

I am revisiting this again.  I have had really good luck in the past with the eCS to eCS transfers.  I tried to use various cygwin and other windows rsync clients.  I found out back then that the v3.05 (I know we have v3.07 now) for eCS always worked as like something like a 29 revision of the rsync protocol (I know my memory is a little foggy on the specifics). But does anyone have a working win to eCS rsync transfer solution? If so what version are you using and then if you would share some of the tricks aka parameters used...

TIA,
-Todd

NNYITGuy

Hello All,

Boy oh boy! I wish I could answer my own questions all of the time! But here we go... LOL I was having protocol issues with our compiled RSync, well though I thought! Not! I was having issues with me really knowing the RSync tool as it is. Reading into my RSync session txt I found that along with what seamed to be a protocol error there was a Read Only Error.

Well, like we all pretty much know that the complete error is what we normally troubleshoot with and we should troubleshoot with the top down approach, right? Well not me, dummy head, yes that is me, LOL. Normally yes I do, but this protocol issue jumped out at me and I ran with it. Researching the protocol part and gave so little weight to the Read Only Error.  Yes top down, well in order of appearance, well as the errors came to be in that same sequence. Yeah you all get the idea...

So, after some time, considerable time, well way to much time spent on chasing down the wrong part of the error. I found that the Module, the description of the Folder / Directory for the daemon to work with, also happens to have more attributes that can be assigned. Just like working with multiple domains definitions in Apache and like so many other technologies we work with. So, I set up a "Read Only = No" under my "test-rsync" module in my RSync daemon config file and WaLaa! The W32 RSync client took off like a rocket!! Well, I had to restart the daemon and sign back into the client too. Well you get the picture! Yehaa!!!

OK, I am very over tired. Need to get some sleep so I can do this thing I love all over again! Live and Breath Technology and Their Solutions in Modern Business! Wow, I am tired...

Goodnight Everyone,
:-)Todd