• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Need help choosing eCS Compatible Hardware

Started by OSExplorer, 2009.06.08, 01:17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

OSExplorer

Hmmm I don't speak Delphish :) I can only understand C++ and C/C++ like languages such as Java, D, JavaScript and even PHP.
Pascal syntax is too different when compared to C++. Btw, I also understand (it was what it truly started me off).

Pete

Hi

Quote from: OSExplorer on 2009.06.09, 12:27:34
Hmmm I don't speak Delphish :) I can only understand C++ and C/C++ like languages such as Java, D, JavaScript and even PHP.
Pascal syntax is too different when compared to C++. Btw, I also understand (it was what it truly started me off).

Hmmm...

The main difference seems to be the start and end of code blocks ie:-

Begin  {

End     }

If you can code in a "c" variant you can certainly pick up pascal quickly. Of course you will soon spot other minor syntax variations  :-)

There are no WDSibyl publications but Delphi is so close that I would recommend "Mastering Delphi 2 for Windows 95/NT" by Marco Cantu, Sybex, ISBN 0-7821-1860-7 as a good "Reference/How To" book. You may be able to find a copy in your local public library or fairly cheap on ebay.

Regards

Pete

Andi

If you search for developer tools, start here -
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Developer_Tools_Section

CDRWSel

So I'm not alone looking for an I7 solution.
I did many searches and my solution will be base on (other board have unsupported shipset like lan etc..):

• Asus  P6T Deluxe V2 
  • possibly a SSD " G.Skill  Falcon 128 Go S-ATA II " as boot disk 
( both lan controler are supported "Marvell 88E8056" )
( I found that the audio shipset "ADI® AD2000B" should work according my finding )
( 3 x 1GB memory should be enough )
( for the video card, I choise an ATI solution which whould be well supported with the new video driver )

probably not working " VIA® VT6308 "

cytan

I'm also going to buy an intel i7 at some point. If you look at http://svn.netlabs.org/acpi/ticket/406, you'll see that I7 does kinda sorta work with the intel DX58SO under ECS 2.0rc6 with some limitations on number of processors which can be enabled.

Can you post your experiences with the ASUS when you get it?

cytan

Quote from: CDRWSel on 2009.06.11, 21:54:33
So I'm not alone looking for an I7 solution.
I did many searches and my solution will be base on (other board have unsupported shipset like lan etc..):

• Asus  P6T Deluxe V2 
  • possibly a SSD " G.Skill  Falcon 128 Go S-ATA II " as boot disk 
( both lan controler are supported "Marvell 88E8056" )
( I found that the audio shipset "ADI® AD2000B" should work according my finding )
( 3 x 1GB memory should be enough )
( for the video card, I choise an ATI solution which whould be well supported with the new video driver )

probably not working " VIA® VT6308 "

CDRWSel

Thanks for the info, I read it but I'm surprised about the use of 8 processors.
The I7 only has 4 real processors (the 4 extra processors aren't real processors)
Today, I'm running with a dual core (which needs some special attention for programs like firefox) and sure, as soon I install my planned configuration, I let you know about the installation and its working + compatibility.

My first test will be the SSD I'm waiting for next week (internaly this SDD, raid is used but this is hardware raid and it should be transparent). For the test, I will use my existing system and just change the boot disk with the new SSD and do a new install. If all is ok, next step will be main board + processor change.

I took the latest suggested ACPI build but I will check again at install time.

Thanks
Remy   

Saijin_Naib

Why would you be surprised about the use of 8 processors? eCS has no idea what HT is so it treats each HT instance as a real physical CPU much like Win2k did instead of a virtual CPU or HT CPU. It really should still work though :\

CDRWSel

Thanks for the info, i'll check it at install time.
About the open ticket, it look that problem occurs with firefox but I had the same problem under the current installed eCs with my dual core processor. the problem was resolved using :
set NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1
(this is just a supposition due I use this option to have it working and not hung or unwanted results)
I hope receive the SSD tomorrow...

osw

Hi all!
cdrwsel wrote:
(...)for the video card, I choise an ATI solution which whould be well supported with the new video driver (...)

Yeah, really? Could you explain which one?
Which card with which "new driver"?
Running super fast core i7, ssd, ddr3 and so - with PANORAMA VESA acceleration...... wich is no acceleration compared to snap - what's the point. 
I think that's the problem for now.
No decent video driver with acceleration - no multimedia. And in terms of performance - without snap supported gpu - any upgrade will turn out to be a downgrade.
So my advice is to decide what are you expecting from new system. If you want to have system capable of playing full hd videos for instance (like me) - you might be very dissapointed with results. Frankly, all video operations will be disaster while using VESA acceleration.
Don't get me wrong here. I'm considering upgrade too. And I'm very curiuos what results with core i7 will be.
But I see no point in building new machine with worse video performance.
I think that attitude of Panorama developers (VESA mode) makes any upgrade pointless. It's no option, it's failure. 

just my 2 cents

cytan

I was wondering exactly the same thing. I think that one possibility is the X850 card which is accelerated and PCI-E  and supported by SNAP. See:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1261666&sku=V261-3044&srkey=radeon%20x850

and for SNAP supported cards:

http://www.scitechsoft.com/chiplist/snap_os2_chiplist.html

The reviews are pretty good too.

What do you guys think?

cytan
Quote from: osw on 2009.06.12, 13:25:53

Hi all!
cdrwsel wrote:
(...)for the video card, I choise an ATI solution which whould be well supported with the new video driver (...)

Yeah, really? Could you explain which one?
Which card with which "new driver"?
Running super fast core i7, ssd, ddr3 and so - with PANORAMA VESA acceleration...... wich is no acceleration compared to snap - what's the point. 
I think that's the problem for now.
No decent video driver with acceleration - no multimedia. And in terms of performance - without snap supported gpu - any upgrade will turn out to be a downgrade.
So my advice is to decide what are you expecting from new system. If you want to have system capable of playing full hd videos for instance (like me) - you might be very dissapointed with results. Frankly, all video operations will be disaster while using VESA acceleration.
Don't get me wrong here. I'm considering upgrade too. And I'm very curiuos what results with core i7 will be.
But I see no point in building new machine with worse video performance.
I think that attitude of Panorama developers (VESA mode) makes any upgrade pointless. It's no option, it's failure. 

just my 2 cents

CDRWSel

Hi!
Currently I have a X850 ATI card and it works nice. I plan to test a newer ATI (hdcp support) card into my new config and if it didn't give expected result, I'll go back to X850. I don't have games and the HD AVI files I tested  worked ok.   
But, I agree that a better work should be done on supported video card to have same features as under SNAP driver.
RD   

Saijin_Naib

I personally prefer the Nvidia line of cards (6600/6600GT) as they typically get better OpenGL performance but the X850 is a great card as well.

OSExplorer

Well, in my case I can't even go beyond the splash screen with the 1.x version of the live CD.

CDRWSel

I think you have a dual core processor (SMP).
With the CD 1.2 SMP, I already had some install issue on an AMD dual core CPU resolved after ACPI parameter change at end of first install step one and before reboot.

CDRWSel