• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

USB 3G EVDO Modem

Started by cytan, 2009.07.03, 06:16:02

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

cytan congratulations.

As you say the next task is getting the unit talking to the world.  The question is, how does the windows or the MAC talk to it?  Looking at how they do it should show the the way OS/2 can talk to it.  Unfortunately I'm unable to find a copy of the bundled software so have no idea as to what type of comms software is used.

EugeneGorbunoff

ok :)

1) All usb applications should be compatible with USBRESMG.SYS + USBCALLS.DLL distributed with USB Dock (BETAZONE),

2)
Can you publish this utility? Many users were interested in such switcher.

cytan

Quote from: EugeneGorbunoff on 2009.07.08, 15:15:37
ok :)

1) All usb applications should be compatible with USBRESMG.SYS + USBCALLS.DLL distributed with USB Dock (BETAZONE),

2)
Can you publish this utility? Many users were interested in such switcher.

Once I get it documented I will upload it to hobbes.

cytan

cytan

Quote from: ivan on 2009.07.08, 14:42:47
cytan congratulations.

As you say the next task is getting the unit talking to the world.  The question is, how does the windows or the MAC talk to it?  Looking at how they do it should show the the way OS/2 can talk to it.  Unfortunately I'm unable to find a copy of the bundled software so have no idea as to what type of comms software is used.

There is software which came with the modem that was installed the first time the modem was plugged in. However, it seems the LINUX guys have figured out what to set in the ppp dialer which I will try tonight.

cytan

P.S. this forum bug is really annoying me, even doing what was mentioned at on the front page of os2world does not allow me to see page 1! :(

ivan

QuoteHowever, it seems the LINUX guys have figured out what to set in the ppp dialer which I will try tonight.

Ah, that was what I would expect to find in the supplied software.  Good luck.

Saijin_Naib

This should come in eCS if it works to supplement the eCom Dialer.

ivan

There is no 'should' about it.  If cytan wants to make it available it should be in a place accessible to all OS/2 users, after all the modeswitch program is available under the GPL as is libusb.  This does not preclude it being put into eCS but it shouldn't be hidden away on some pay to use server.

cytan

Unbelievable, I'm positing this from my Cricket 3G usb modem!!!!!! I'm using injoy dialer rather than slippm because
(1) I'm following the instructions from www.os2voice.org/vnl/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_1.html
(2)  the max speed in slippm seems to be 38400bps, while in Injoy it's up to 345600bps.

BUT according to the LINUX guys, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=928957, it should be 460800bps. Is there a way to increase the bps in Injoy?

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me. I'll be documenting all this and will upload usb_modeswitch.exe as soon as I can.

cytan

cytan

Uggghhh, I'm getting disconnected and lose my connection after about 5 minutes. Question is whether a login is required every few minutes ... So my 3G kinda works but not quite yet. It is clearly slower than on my Mac. It's probably due to the slower speed but there's a possibility that the buffer sizes of usbcom.sys must be increased.

cytan

OK ... after changing the injoy ppp option from :FASTEST to DEFAULT, everything seems to work and I'm not dropping out att least for the last 30 min  ;D . I'm declaring that this works, but I'd really like to squeeze out the last possible bit of speed though, so any ideas as to how to get it to 460800bps?

cytan

Saijin_Naib

You may also look at modifying the USB driver to boost priority. It is somewhere in the ecomstation.ru docs. Our USB stack is... passive at best with resources and as such, is slow as hell.

cytan

I've uploaded usb_modeswitch to hobbes/incoming.

cytan

RobertM

cytan,

Nice work!!!!  :)

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

cytan

First, let me thank everyone, especially ivan for helping me get my modem working.

Now, I'm again back to the OS/2 community to try to figure out something weird:

(1) First connection using Injoy works great.
(2) Disconnect by hanging up in Injoy. Reconnect again with Injoy, I can connect to the web for a few times and then nothing can be found. Example:
   ftp hobbes.nmsu.edu

works the first time and then trying to ftp again fails to find hobbes.
Injoy dialer shows no errors.It looks like there's no route to hobbes ...

The only way to get back to good web connection is to reboot.

Any pointers?

cytan

melf

First of all : great work!

I've earlier used my mobilephone, LGU8130 (usb-connection) to surf the web. It worked excellnt first connection. Disconnecting and reconnecting gave me the same phenomena as for you. I had to reboot the phone but not the computer to make it work again. That time I used Ecsconet as dialer. I don't know why but hope it says something to you.

/Mikael
/Mikael

ivan

cytan, so far I've not been able to find the technical information on what chip set the device uses so the following is based on guess work.

Because the device requires a special setup string to activate it there is a possibility it also requires a special string to shut it down.  If that is the case then there is not much chance of it working a second time without being hard reset.

I once had a USB modem that appeared as a comm device and would work with OS/2 the first time it was plugged in but not again unless it was unplugged and re-plugged.  Looking at the communication stream sent to it by the supplied software -windows- I found it needed extra characters at shut down.  I was able to add them to the hangup string and had no more problems.

If that is not the problem and you have to reboot OS/2 then I suspect problems with the USBRESMG.SYS and/or USBCALLS.DLL in which case we need to find out where the failure is.