• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

PMMail/2 version 3.0 beta 1

Started by kim, 2007.06.06, 00:32:28

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14512/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Monday, 04 June 2007

VOICE purcha. .. .

Well, was quite some time since there has been any kind of news regarding this little software that I used for so many years, but guess that quite a few of us migrated to Thunderbird.

What is the main improvements of this new version, does anyone know?

Ben

Greetings,

VOICE bought the source code, cleaned it up, (apparently it was quite a mess), and are fixing bugs and putting in new features and are getting close to a new release.

Purchase price is a membership, (or subscription... I'm not sure what they call it now), to VOICE ... sounds reasonable to me.

MR/2 ICE is going through a fixup/development spurt as well where access requires a donation to a specific animal shelter or some such.

I like seeing new life being breathed into such grand ol' software.

BTW, Kim, if you're reading this... "Preview" doesn't seem to be working.

kim

Ben; I'm reading  ;D and thanks for reporting this little flaw and it has been fixed as well now also.

hausmaus

The only problem I'm having with this "revival" in these packages and others is the idea of being forced to "give" to a charity that I personally don't want involvement in, such as MR/2 ICE and Pronews.  I prefer to donate money elsewhere or directly pay the author, which is why I'm hesitant to use any of this software, including PMMail.  I really don't want to belong to a user group that I'm not interested in and I don't feel it's right being forced to join when I would rather just pay someone and let them do what they want with their money.  I'd rather pay a person for the job they've done rather to further something that they believe in and I don't.

It's also why I don't use most of these programs or use older versions that don't require that subscription model.  I'm glad that the programs are being revived, but I disagree on how to pay for them.  But honestly, I think most people have gone to Thunderbird or SeaMonkey by now.  It may be too little, too late for most of these programs.

Just my two cents' worth.

--Sean

Ben

Quote from: Sean Dennis on 2007.06.06, 12:33:31
The only problem I'm having with this "revival" in these packages and others is the idea of being forced to "give" to a charity that I personally don't want involvement in, such as MR/2 ICE and Pronews.  I prefer to donate money elsewhere or directly pay the author, which is why I'm hesitant to use any of this software, including PMMail.  I really don't want to belong to a user group that I'm not interested in and I don't feel it's right being forced to join when I would rather just pay someone and let them do what they want with their money.  I'd rather pay a person for the job they've done rather to further something that they believe in and I don't.

Hi, Sean.

I both hear, (read), and understand you.  :)

I have a few additions to my comments.

While i find both of these payment schemes unusual and I wouldn't otherwise go those routes, I can't say that either will stop me should I want the upgrades, but both have all ready slowed me down.

Quote from: Sean Dennis on 2007.06.06, 12:33:31It's also why I don't use most of these programs or use older versions that don't require that subscription model.  I'm glad that the programs are being revived, but I disagree on how to pay for them.  But honestly, I think most people have gone to Thunderbird or SeaMonkey by now.  It may be too little, too late for most of these programs.

I used Thunderbird for about a year and got sick of it eating my E-mail. I get over 100 messages a day and it simply couldn't handle it, (though I liked the built-in HTML viewers... sorta).

Now I've used PMMail/2 for about nine months and I've used MR/2 ICE for ten years or more, and neither of those has ever cost me one message.

I have no doubt that the average users needs are less demanding than mine WRT this so I fully expect that  Thunderbird will do it for the majority of users.

Kim: Thanks & good choice of forum software.

I've ran many copies of SMF over the years, (as well as many other forums), and it has always worked well for me under OS/2, always had the main features, (and more), and has been properly maintained, IMO.
  8)

hausmaus

QuoteI both hear, (read), and understand you.  Smiley

I'm glad someone does...I usually get written off as a crackpot.  :D

QuoteWhile i find both of these payment schemes unusual and I wouldn't otherwise go those routes, I can't say that either will stop me should I want the upgrades, but both have all ready slowed me down.

Before I go any further, I want to say that supporting a charity that you believe in is great.  However, forcing other people to do so isn't and that's what my beef is.  I don't mind paying for a good program (and now that I have a good job and can afford to register programs, I fully intend on it) directly to the author who did the work.

QuoteI used Thunderbird for about a year and got sick of it eating my E-mail. I get over 100 messages a day and it simply couldn't handle it, (though I liked the built-in HTML viewers... sorta).

Now I've used PMMail/2 for about nine months and I've used MR/2 ICE for ten years or more, and neither of those has ever cost me one message.

I have no doubt that the average users needs are less demanding than mine WRT this so I fully expect that  Thunderbird will do it for the majority of users.

Thunderbird, to me, is very slow to load.  I guess it's because it's a ported program (can't explain otherwise as I tried it on a 1.8ghz machine with 1GB RAM).  I tried MR/2 and didn't like the UI, so I tried PMMail.  Except for a few quirks in the the program, I like it.  When I set up eCS here soon for my personal use, I'll start using that again.  I personally really like Post Road Mailer, but unfortunately, it's lacking in some features I find rather handy that PMMail has.

As for mail eating, my dad is having that same problem under XP and T-bird.  That's odd you should mention that as I've been talking to him about it...I'll have to look.

As you, I get a ton of email every day and when one message goes missing, that can be a bad thing, especially from when it comes from one of my beta testers (I write BBS doors).

But nevertheless, it's good to see some revival in OS/2 software.  I wish I had more time and will-I'd try to learn more and help.  But, I'm learning REXX and I'm armed with VX-REXX, so maybe one of these days I might grind out a useful little program. :)

--Sean

kim

Since there are Thunderbird issues mentioned; I've started a new thread to make it easier to follow the two topics.

But about pmMail I really liked it and loved they way one could make scripts to handle incoming e-mail; but since I also wanted make use of PGP I moved over to Thunderbird that had better support. So in my case I used a little perl script to convert the content in pmMail to Thunderbird. This old thread might be of interest. I've also attached the script to this posting as well.

onlineuser2

I experienced PMMAIL as a great program! Welcome back! I am waiting for.
BUT forthcoming release must have check spelling not only in English (as Thunderbird has). Otherwise there is no hope on getting large use.

chennecke

Quote from: Sean Dennis on 2007.06.06, 15:35:05
Before I go any further, I want to say that supporting a charity that you believe in is great.  However, forcing other people to do so isn't and that's what my beef is.  I don't mind paying for a good program (and now that I have a good job and can afford to register programs, I fully intend on it) directly to the author who did the work.

Well, the author chose to:

1. donate that very money to charity

2. save himself from the hassle of having to transfer the money he gets for the program in favor of being able to spend more time on programming

So what's the problem? Basically, you are denying the programs' authors the right to do with the money what they want.

obiwan

No Christian. This is not about a person doing what he wants with his money. This is publically associating a product with a charity, directing what other people do with their money, not his money. The association of the product with the charity means that consumers of the product become donors to the charity. We can call them consumer-donors. Now whether to give to the charity is part of the decision to purchase the product.

It is a bit like the red phones for AIDS in Africa. Consumers are invited to buy a red phone to contribute to the cause. The worthiness of the cause, and the visibility of the sign of the noble red phone for such donors, motivates people to buy the phone, increasing its sales. See how the economics are affected by the public association, whereas if the cell phone company gave quietly to the charity out of ordinary sales it would not have this effect. This can work negatively against the product as well if people do not like the charity or would be ashamed by the visibility of the sign of it.

To make the public association is to allow for how it will influence the decisions of people who might consider using the product. To accuse people who are influenced by it of violating his rights is simply wrong.