• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Discussion about future of eComStation

Started by Sigurd, 2009.07.16, 09:35:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurd

Hi all,

this is to let you know that there is a lively open discussion about this with special proposals. It is called "Plan B" and today I started the second step of it.

First step, a few days ago: http://de.os2.org/forum/diskussion/?list=122374

Brand new today:  http://de.os2.org/forum/diskussion/?id=122485

While written in German please use google or something else to translate!

Suggestions, Opinions, Participation PRO / CONTRA highly welcome! For sure, you can write in english if you like!

Cheers

miturbide

Hi Sigurd

I was reading the os2.org threads but the translation with google kind of sucks (and I'm so lazy to read all the threads).

What I had read for the moment seems good ideas for the short term, like supporting new hardware, ACPI, AHCI, etc.

But thinking in the long term I think there should also be an strategy to open source OS/2 to remove any kind of future depency from IBM or Serenity. Sure, IBM will not open source it, but there is the idea to create an open source clone of it. I really envy how Haiku OS had open source BeOS and they now are offering some Virtual Machines to download the OS, sure it is not 100% usable/compatible yet, but at least they have the base to maintain BeOS in the future.

I really think we need to support the OSFree project and Voyager, think in the long term.

In the short term any kind of idea to get founding for hardware support and libraries like QT, GTK, SWT, JAVA ported will be great. But I really think that any new development should be open source, otherwise every slosed software development has the risk to became ABANDONWARE some day.

Martin
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Saijin_Naib

Agree. I can't wait for Haiku to have an ISO image. I miss BeOS/Zeta. I hope eCS takes this path.

kim

Quote from: Sigurd on 2009.07.16, 09:35:20For sure, you can write in english if you like!

If you seriously wants to get people involved; English should be the primary language and not German for this kind conversation....

cyber

Agreed, translating from German is very painfull, and lead to totall missunderstanidg.

cyber

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.07.17, 00:42:22
Agree. I can't wait for Haiku to have an ISO image. I miss BeOS/Zeta. I hope eCS takes this path.

This path is very interested, even with not finished OS yet, Quake I, II and III ports to Haiku are ready and waiting. 
Only hope for mankind is that Mensys will someday got control of Windozes maintenance and distribution.  :-\

warpcafe

Heyda,

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.07.17, 00:42:22

...ehh... I have the ISO here (guess from June it is IIRC) and am running it under VirtualBox on XP SP2... works great. ...as far as I have tested, which is perhaps not _that_ much.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy