• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

131GB free space on 250GB hard disk in LVM

Started by b402, 2009.07.17, 22:50:57

Previous topic - Next topic

b402

i recently installed a WD 250 GB hard disk on an Asus A7V with outdated bios, that did not recognize drives greater than 137GB

i updated the bios and installed the drive on the integrated Promise ata/100  ide controller.
Now the promise bios detects 232GB for the hard drive, but LVM still shows 131 GB of free space

i installed Danis506.ADD and updated LVM to revision 14.105 from the ecs costumer download page.

i unplugged the drive rebooted, replugged the drive and rebooted to no avail.

is there a LVM command or a utility (other than DFsee) that i can use to reset the free space on this hard drive to the 232GB limit?

Thank-you  for your help.

Salutations.

Pete

Hi b402

Sounds like an older version of eCS is in use? - which leads on to me suggesting that you probably need to apply the IBM IDE updates that include the latest OS2DASD.DMD driver.

Regards

Pete

b402

You are correct; my version of eCs is 1.0.
i applied the idedasd updates you suggested, but to no avail.

Thank you for your help none the less.

If you or anyone else has any further suggestions, i will try them.

Salutations
b402

Blonde Guy

I never tried to do this, but I think once the partition information is on the disk that LVM and OS2DASD will just use it. You have to erase that. I'm not sure what other OS/2 utility can do that, but DFSee should be able to clean that stuff out. If you don't want to use DFSee, then try all the OS/2 utilities to wipe the partitions and MBR info.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2009.07.19, 00:51:13
I never tried to do this, but I think once the partition information is on the disk that LVM and OS2DASD will just use it. You have to erase that. I'm not sure what other OS/2 utility can do that, but DFSee should be able to clean that stuff out. If you don't want to use DFSee, then try all the OS/2 utilities to wipe the partitions and MBR info.

lvm /newmbr might do it.....

b402

i have done 2 wipe passes of the hard disk using killdisk for dos on a bootable disk,
and i have applied lvm /newmbr before and after wiping the disk clean.

LVM and QTparted both still show no more than 131GB free space.

If The Blond guy and Mr. Smedley, can't get this hard drive to work properly,
i guess i am out of luck ! :-)

I have only been using OS/2 since version 2.0. I guess if i keep working at it
for another 18 years, i will probably get this OS to work properly soon enough !

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Salutations

ivan

Just a WAG because I have a WD 320 GB disk and can see all of it with OS/2.  Does your WD have a jumper to set it to a smaller size because some bios can't cope with the larger size?

The other thing, what version of disk drivers are you using?  I have the latest DaniS506.ADD.  As you have an old version of eCS I'm sure it didn't have that driver.

All else failing get a copy of DFSee and use it to reset the LVM information on the disk.

RobertM

b402:

The problem is the LBA addressing mode of your BIOS. You either have an old computer, or a computer with an ancient BIOS.

Your options are as follows:
(1) After following Ivan's suggestion re: dfSee to reset the LVM info, see if there is a BIOS update that supports larger disks and the new LBA mode. The older LBA mode (28 bit I believe) limits the drive to 128GiB - hence your 131GB figure.

(2) After following Ivan's suggestion re: dfSee to reset the LVM info, try the Dani Drivers, which may (should?) circumvent that limitation by using it's own addressing scheme (and ensure you have a newer version of LVM).

Those are the options I can think of right now off the top of my head - there may be others.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|