• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Home/personal/family and reference software for OS/2?

Started by BookWorm, 2009.07.19, 07:04:30

Previous topic - Next topic

BookWorm

I know about IBM Works, Lotus SmartSuite, and all that Windows 3.1 stuff, but is there anything for OS/2 like Broderund's Family Tree Maker, or pretty much any of the programs for windows by Expert software, Broderund, Sierra Home, etc, or Microsoft Home, including the MultiMedia Music series, Encarta, Map Point, or any other brands of maps, encyclopedias, cook books, home/garden/landscape designers, flower or vegtable garden planners, etc. etc. etc...?

It's this kind of thing that makes Windows (even ME) worth using. And I am beginning to hate Windows. >:( Even 2000.

What's this "Hobbes" thing I keep hearing about?

IBManners

Hobbes archive located at :-

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/

Also check out ftp.netlabs.org

You can also get some useful fixpacks etc from ftp.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/

Cheers
I am the computer, it is me.

BookWorm

Thanks, it looks like some of what I'm looking for.

Phil

Hi:  Bookworm

re.  Family Tree Maker, Yes there is a program "GenealogyJ" written in java and ver 2.4.4 works fine under OS2/eComstation.  Ver 2.4.5 does not work (requires  jre 1.5 and any java jre over 1.4.9 not available in os2/ecomstation), unless you do a work around using AROS2 from Acrobatreader and java 1.5.0_07, creating a pgm object with file and path name populated with X:\Acrobatreader\aros2,  param box with x:\jre 1.5,0_7 -run jar.jar, working directory populated with x:\genJ_app-2.4.5.

re Serria home:  try Bluecad from cadwaresoft.com.  os2 version in no longer in production and is free  Good 2D drafting program 

Hope This helps

Regards  Phil

cyber

Hi all, Bookworm pointed right; we need more such software if we ever plane to got more new users; encyclopedias, map software, eBook readers and so on.  Only usable now is html based (without flash) solutions. :(
I'm personaly interested in map software, but if red-eye reduction is such hard to got in PMView, how should be gotting some inf files support (coordinates, names) ?  :'(

BookWorm

> ...we need more such software

You mean there isn't any?

So *that's* how MicroSoft stayed in business after 1995!

> Only usable now is html based (without flash) solutions.

Please don't tell me we don't even have flash... :o

Blonde Guy

I see you got some good answers. If you didn't get all you want already, try asking again, but ask for what you want exactly, not "software like this Windows software". I don't use Windows, so I don't know what you are asking for.

As an eCS user, I am going to take advantage of the many web apps out there. Some are pretty good. I get a lot done on eCS, and I think many other OS/2 World readers do too.

Good luck.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation