• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eMachines eTower 633ids

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2009.07.22, 01:42:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

I've tried to track down a PCIConf.SNP and it looks like it was, at one point, hosted/built by Veit Kannegieser (http://ewiki.ecomstation.nl/pciconf) but both the Binary and Source links appear to be down.

Hobbes is similarly empty.

I'll try and attach a screenshot of the NIC setup page in MPTS later. I really need this computer ready to be used as a backup before I head back to school. My primary desktop motherboard is on its last leg (for the 4th time) and I think it may finally bite the dust permanently.

warpcafe

Hey,

I'm only guessing on this... but could it be that this snooper is already somewhere on the distro media or even installed already?
If not, perhaps this one can help?
http://hobbes2.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/misc/pciutils_2.2.3_os2_dos.zip

Did he (Veit) perhaps move te stuff over to Netlabs? Or Mensys directly? I have no idea...

Is there some way to make the BIOS force assign resources (aka legacy mode) for the card?

Oh yes - make sure you check if that message is actually correct:
Veit's excellent sniffer package will show what resources the NIC was *really* assigned.
http://hobbes2.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/misc/pci104vka.zip

(That reminds me... perhaps fiddling with the protocol.ini key/value pairs for the NIC can help too...?)

Good luck!!
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

Searched the CD and the OS for all *.SNP files. PCIConf.snp is not on either.

I can't force the BIOS to assign any IRQs as far as I know. It just has a PnP Aware OS option of Yes or No (currently set to Yes).

I've used the PCI104 file, it doesn't even find my Network card. It does complain about some values not matching however.

The only other PCI NIC I have is a Linksys LNE100TX which I don't believe is supported by OS/2.

What does your last suggestion mean?

Saijin_Naib

Problem solved:

Turned Disk access from DOS to Other, Legacy USB to OFF, and PnP Aware OS to "No".

Willing to bet I only needed to change the PnP setting. Glad to be posting this from eCS 2.0RC7 on my eMachines. Now to get me some softwares...

warpcafe

Hi,

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.09.03, 00:36:00
Willing to bet I only needed to change the PnP setting.

Yep, I think too. ;)
However, perhaps only a PnP "refresh" (rediscover all devices) would have been enough, who knows. Sadly I don't recall what that option is called in the BIOS and unfortunately not all BIOSes have it (well, Award surely has it).

Glad it works for you. My last suggestion (for the sake of completeness) was about manually editing OS/2's "protocol.ini" file. There are sections for each NIC that *could* allow to manually override some of the configuration parameters.
But since I now know what the cause was, I doubt this would have made any difference...

Cheers,
Thomas

Oh, BTW: Can we expect some sort of "review" on RC7...? :)
(Just trying to make people give some feedback, regardless if that is a positive or negative one)
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

Sure, I will write an impression/mini-review of 2.0RC7 in a little. I'm just about to move back to school to start my grad work so things are a bit hectic.

More notes:
ACPI must be on to install.
PnP must be set to "off"
Legacy USB must be set to ON to install. Does not matter after install.
----> If legacy USB is off, then installer will not get past the "Boot from Hard disk" or "Boot from CD-ROM" page.

I will be posting this to the ecomstation.ru hardware database.

Thanks all for the help!

Saijin_Naib

Hey guys. This computer is just sitting around now because I isolated the issue on my primary computer (secondary IDE channel on mobo is flaky).
Therefore, this computer no longer has a purpose.

It is a good eCS computer and will install and run eCS if you follow the notes above.

I would like to sell it to someone here.
Hard drive options are: 8gb, 40gb, none.

Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Saijin_Naib

Some preliminary pricing to get things going?

I'm thinking about 30$ + shipping for the computer with no HDD.

Maybe 35$ + shipping for the computer with the 8gb HDD.

Maybe 50$ + shipping for the computer with the 40gb HDD?

Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib

Nobody? Works decently as for Haiku and eCS.

Saijin_Naib