• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eMachines eTower 633ids

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2009.07.22, 01:42:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Problem:
Can not start eCS 2.0 RC6a installer on this machine.

Steps:
Insert CD in Secondary Master/Slave (Master: Acer 16x DVD / Slave: HP Burner 9100)
Allow computer to boot from CD
MemBoot will launch, show the first screen. Cursor will automatically select "Boot from eCS CD"
Press Enter
MeMboot displays the next page (Boot with default values / Choose own Values).
This page is non-functional, computer is locked. This page is also not completely drawn.

SysInfo:
1.13ghz P3 Celeron
256mb SDRAM
40gb WDD HDD
Legacy USB Off (I use PS/2 keyboard, USB Mouse)
Large Disk Access Mode (DOS - BIOS too old to address the drive if I use Other)

Help?

sXwamp

Trying move your sound card or nic to different slots first. If that didn't work for the install, then take them all out if and try to install. I had one box with 2Gb of memory and I had to take out 1Gb for the install the work.  The computer that I'm using now would just not install eCom 2.0rc6a no matter what I did. I had to use eCS 2rc5, then I would have tried eCs 1.2.1

Greggory

ivan

Another possible reason - though I don't have eCS to try it out - is that there isn't enough memory for the memdisk and what ever the install program is.  Therefore the hang and incomplete screen draw.

I've had this type of problem with a CD created with UPDCD using a memdisk boot and small memory.  I was able to get it working with careful editing of what went on to the memdisk but I doubt that option is open to you.

Saijin_Naib

eCS install CD is certified to boot with a minimum of 64mb of RAM (and I've tested this before on an old Compaq Laptop).

There is no sound-card, only on-board. NIC and Graphics are in 2/3 slots on the board.

David McKenna

Try removing one of the CD drives.... I've seen reports of problems installing when two are attached....

Dave McKenna

Saijin_Naib

Alright, I'll have to give it a shot. I guess I can add all the hardware in after the fact, right? No HAL to worry about.

Saijin_Naib

Right, pulled the NIC (Realtek 8139c PCI) and the Graphics Card (MX 420 PCI) [both supported by eCS] and the Secondary IDE Slave (HP 9100 burner). This time the boot allowed me to get to the second page of MemBoot (boot with default / selected values) and would go to the third page where it begins to allocate memory and do the graphical RAM filling thing. Stopped right at the top text. I tried many times. Same spot.

Could I have bad DIMMs or DIMMs that eCS is picky about? I know they are low-density 128mb Mushkin PC100 modules.

cyber

If You suspect on memory, try to use lowest memory timing settings in BIOS.  If this help, You can try faster setup later.
Is CPU maybe overclocked ?

Saijin_Naib

Can't adjust anything in the BIOS, it is a very locked-down BIOS version.

I subscribed to eSupport.com BIOSAgent (said they can make updated BIOS) but it turned out to be bullshit. So I guess no chance of a new BIOS saving this rig.

CPU is at stock speeds (1.13ghz), I will try WMD (Windows Memory Diagnostics) or memtest86, whichever floppy I find. Don't know where I put either :C

David McKenna

You could try re-seating the RAM, or swapping positions. MemTest86 is a good idea too....

Are you trying to use ACPI? Try not..... Also, does DANIS have the /!BIOS switch? If yes, remove it. If no, add it. Also might be worth trying the IBM IDE driver.

I have also had trouble with the most recent USBUHCD drivers on certain hardware - any chance you could try with a PS/2 mouse (somebody you know probably has one of those PS/2 to USB adapters all mice used to come with)? For grins I would also try turning 'Legacy USB' on...

Dave McKenna

Saijin_Naib

ACPI is enabled in the BIOS, but god knows what level of ACPI support the thing has (BIOS date of 2001 if I am correct).

I can't even get far enough to choose what IDE driver to choose :C

I'll have to try memtest tonight. The computer has always been stable so I doubt it is a bad DIMM but maybe I'm wrong. I hope not, legacy memory is costly.

Saijin_Naib

Disabled ACPI: Same behavior.

RAM checks out as OK.

Any other thoughts? Could it simply just be incompatible?

cyber

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.07.24, 08:22:10
Disabled ACPI: Same behavior.

RAM checks out as OK.

Any other thoughts? Could it simply just be incompatible?

It should not be for PIII Celeron, but can You try boot eCS 1.2 or bootable Warp 4? 
It also can be some weird stuff related to CD connecting. I will try to set HDD primary master and CD primary slave (not forgot to check jumpers on back side !).

David McKenna

The only other thing I would try is the other CD drive.... could you try eCS 1.2.5?

Dave McKenna

Saijin_Naib

Well, eCS 2.0RC7 installs and works brilliantly.

Thanks guys!

However, my Realtek 8139C PCI Network adapter will not get power. It gives a message when booting that the BIOS has not assigned an address. It then says to use PCIConf.SNP to autoconfigure it.

How do I do that? I'd like to have network working on it so I can use it as a back-up.