• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Virtual machines

Started by Highlander, 2007.06.07, 23:17:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

I need to run eCS, any version, under either Virtual PC or VirtualBox under Windows XP. I had been using OS/2 then eCS for 15 years, but could not wait for hardware support for some new work. However, I still want to use eCS, but the install routine for either 1.2 or 2.0beta4 will not run - it crashes almost immediately after selecting the installation menu items I want. A minimal system will do, so USB and sound are not necessary. I have tried both with and without ACPI - same difference. Any help would be appreciated.

magog

Quote from: Highlander on 2007.06.07, 23:17:16
I need to run eCS, any version, under either Virtual PC or VirtualBox under Windows XP. I had been using OS/2 then eCS for 15 years, but could not wait for hardware support for some new work. However, I still want to use eCS, but the install routine for either 1.2 or 2.0beta4 will not run - it crashes almost immediately after selecting the installation menu items I want.

Was it a crash or did it just hang? The error message might also help.
Last time I tried to install eCS in Virtual PC 2007 it did work (eCS 2.0b4). I just fired it up to check the eCS version.

I use VMware WS6 now but that doesn't support OS/2 nor eCS. Virtual PC always starts the Windows Media Player when I startup eCS in the VM and I don't know why.

My system:
Windows XP x64 (SP2)
Intel Core2Duo E6600 (VT-Support...enabled in VPC)
ATI X850 XT PE
3 GB RAM

Regards,
Juergen
*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de/

Radek

I am running eCS 1.1 in VPC (Innotek VPC, not winblows VPC) under XP without any problems for a long time. IIRC, I have selected "default PC", "OS/2", 256 MB memory, 2GB HD formatted HPFS, and the installation passed. Then I installed additions and enabled a shared folder. Then I added another HD and formatted it from the VPC. Also, I have access to the web from the virtual machine. The virtual machine works without any flaws and it does not start the media player.

Highlander

I do have an old copy of Virtual PC, but only the OS/2 version. The current version just collapses. If I try Virtual Box, it stops with an exception 000E in RESOURCE. I cannot fnd anu way around that.

ChrisR

It runs perfect in VPC, even in XP and even in the M$ versions..
(can be found on edonkey, irc.. ect..  (sthhhh) ).. :)

kdxensen

"Parallels" supports os/2 and eCS as guest OSes and is current sw. Cheaper than vmware which does not support os/2. Also not MS!!

Blonde Guy

I have to agree with others that it's possible to run eCS on VPC. I've got eCS 1.2, 1.2 R and 2.0 RC 1 running on VPC, either on Connectix version 5.1 in Windows XP, or MS Virtual Server on Windows 2003 server.

I have sound and network. USB is not possible in VPC. Sound is disabled in MS Virtual Server, but ought to work in MS Virtual PC.

Shared folders is criminally slow. Windows 2000 running on Windows VPC is much more stable than Windows 2000 running on an eCS VPC. Others have found the MS VPC to be very slow for graphics. MS has it's own version of the OS/2 additions.

For the Windows 2003 Virtual Server, I gave the eCS CD to a system administrator, and I told him to install it. He said he picked "easy install" and all the defaults, and it just installed.

Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Radek

There is one problem with VPC running under eXtreme Problems, which I have found recently: XP can decide to set PAE for some unknown reason (a machine with 2 GB RAM). If it does then you are out of luck. VPC will install but it won't start. You get a message that VPC is incompatible with PAE and that you need to switch it off - which you cannot.