• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Anyone tried the CUPS Warpin Archive yet?

Started by Pete, 2009.08.28, 16:42:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Pete on 2009.09.15, 02:41:32
"There seems to be problem with latest USB.EXE (4.7.2009 106252 bytes).
At least for me it did not work. Replaced it with an earlier one,
8.3.2009 91429 bytes, and my usb printer was correctly detected. "
There was a problem in the first zip file of 1.3.10 where the non-USB enabled build of usb.exe was included by accident.  When I realised the problem, I updated the zip file with the correct build of usb.exe.

Cheers,

Paul.

Pete

Hi Paul

I see that there is a later build of cups1311 than the build I included in eCUPS002.WPI...

Guess that is a prompt for an eCUPS003.WPI which will also have an updated install script that should resolve the few install problems brought to my attention.

A quick look on smedley.info reveals there is also a later ghostscript available. I guess if I include this update then I should modify the path entry in /cups/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster to point to this new version rather than just provide the user with instructions to do so.

I'll upload a copy of eCUPS003.WPI to netlabs sometime in the next day or 3.

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Pete

Hi

eCUPS003.WPI is currently at ftp.netlabs.org/incoming and will probably move to ftp.netlabs.org/pub/ecups at some point in the (near) future.

This archive requires Warpin 1.0.18 (or later)  ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/warpin/warpin-1-0-18.exe

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Thanks Pete. This version actually recognizes my PSC1210 and can set it up. Unfortunately, now I have to do the driver dance to see if one of the other supported PSCs will print with this.

I can no longer find the PSC1210xi PPD that linuxprinting used to host.

warpcafe

Hey Saijin-Naib,

if one of your schoolmates has a MacOS X Tiger or newer, check it out... according to HP the appropriate driver(s) and file(s) are contained in MacOS since "way back"... which means that -as one could suspect from it- you won't get them at the HP website. :) If that fails, you can still go to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html and check out if there's a way of getting the PPD out of the pack.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

warpcafe

Hi again!

Quote from: warpcafe on 2009.09.20, 00:43:51
If that fails, you can still (snip)

...use the attached one.  ;D
There's a PPD for "hpcups" and one for "hplip"... now, don't ask me WTF... I have no clue about that stuff, anyway, perhaps that helps? BTW: They were taken from the "hplipopensource" (as mentioned above) tar.

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

You guys are fantastic.
Thanks so much.
I'll give it a shot later tonight, I'm going bowling soon :D

Paul Smedley

Quote from: warpcafe on 2009.09.20, 00:52:43
Hi again!

Quote from: warpcafe on 2009.09.20, 00:43:51
If that fails, you can still (snip)

...use the attached one.  ;D
There's a PPD for "hpcups" and one for "hplip"... now, don't ask me WTF... I have no clue about that stuff, anyway, perhaps that helps? BTW: They were taken from the "hplipopensource" (as mentioned above) tar.

This won't work.... these ppd's will depend on the hp backend contained in the hplip archive.  Unfortunately, porting hplip is non-trivial....

warpcafe

Darn!

I knew there must have been a hidden catch with it: It would have been too easy. :)
Thanks Paul for clarifying...

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

Awh poop. I tried it last night but chalked it up to me not doing it right. eCUPS suggested the PSC 350 driver when i Auto detected the printer. perhaps I'll try that again.

melf

I'm also trying the ecups-wpi archive. But there is one thing I need some advice on. My printer is connected to a printer server (an old laptop running eCS 1.2). Internal IP is 192.168.0.142  and printer is connected to LPT1. What do I write in the URI-field? I wrote lpd://192.168.0.142/lpt1 but that doesnt work. It says the printer is busy (which it isn't). Someone who has a similar setup and knows the right way to write it?
/Mikael

Saijin_Naib

Can eCups auto-detect it over the network? Try to do that instead.

melf

No it can't. But I feel quite stupid here, regarding how ecups detect network printers.

Shall I log on to my network via the ordinary LAN Logon or should I use evfs Samba or does ecups detect printers in some other way through my router?? And if the later is the case I guess it just can see directly connected network printers and not those conntected through servers?
/Mikael

warpcafe

Hi melf,

try "lp0" (l-p-zero) instead of "lpt1".
That's the way how my hardware "print server" calls it. I also think that's the unixish way of calling these /dev/... (? not sure...)
I can't tell how these things work if the server is an eCS machine... I guess my server has some kind of embedded Linux running in it.
If that still doesn't get you anywhere, I can provide some screenshots and info about how I set up the ports/drivers on my eCS machine.

BTW:
I bought that box some years ago to be able to access USB printers over the network and save me from fiddling with USB print support. Works great.
(If anyone is thinking about "why would someone use such a box for? :) )

Cheers, HTH,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy