• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Anyone tried the CUPS Warpin Archive yet?

Started by Pete, 2009.08.28, 16:42:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Hi All

Just trying to publicise the release of this Warpin Archive and get some feedback as to how installation went, what could be improved etc.

This Warpin Archive will, hopefully, make it much easier for people to get their "1st time CUPS install" right on the 1st attempt.

As to why we need CUPS: Support for *recent/current* printers. However, people should check that their printer is on the supported printers list - see http://svn.netlabs.org/ecups/wiki/CupsPort - or be able to provide a PPD file for an unsupported printer.

Extracts from the readme:-

CUPS for eCS
============

This Warpin package includes all current software packages
required to achieve printing using CUPS for eCS.
Installation Instructions
=========================

Make sure printer is connected and Powered on.

Select the appropriate packages for installation:

- both cups and ghostscript packages are required

- gutenprint package is required to support most printers

- Splix package is required to support some Samsung and Xerox printers

NOTE: cups requires installation to the root of a drive and needs
     ghostscript and gutenprint installed to the root of the same drive
     If you already have ghostscript installed then set the cups install
     drive to the drive with ghostscript installed
     Splix installs into the cups directory tree

- ecups-driver package is required in order to create an OS/2 Desktop
          Printer Object to work with CUPS

NOTE: if you run OpenOffice for Windows 115 using ar5os2.exe select
          the gutenprt driver package instead of the ecups-driver package in
          order to print from OO115 in Colour.

ecups-driver and gutenprt installs create their own directories under
     \os2\dll

- cupsportdriver package is required to link the OS/2 Printer created with
          either ecups-driver or gutenprt to the CUPS printing system and installs
     the files \os2\dll\cups.pdr and \tcpip\bin\cupslpr.exe

- libc-0.6.3-csd3 package contains the libc06?.dll support files; Install
          if your system does not have these. The files are installed to \ecs\dll

- gcc342 package contains gcc342.dll, a support file required by Splix;
          Install only if installing Splix package.
     The files are installed to \ecs\dll

- Documentation, a readme and How To. These files are installed to
     \ecs\book\eCUPS.INF and \ecs\DOC\CUPS\ecups_readme.txt (this file)

Install the packages.

A program object called CUPS Daemon ( \cups\sbin\cupsd.exe ) will be placed in the
Startup folder and started Detached - check Process List to ensure it is running.

The "How To" will be displayed in the Help Viewer

The CUPS web based administration interface will be started in a browser window

You then need to follow the instructions in the above "How To" carefully in order
to create and test a CUPS printer then create and test an OS/2 (CUPS) printer

For those people wanting to give this a try the archive is available from http://svn.netlabs.org/ecups/wiki/CupsPort

Regards

Pete
Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

No, but I will try that if/when they release 2.0 RC7 to Software Subscription holders :|

Thanks for the heads up. Manually installing eCUPS is what prevented me from even trying it. It was a pain and I was never sure I had done everything correctly.

Matthew Walsh

I highly recommend the current CUPS system.  Using it I have been able to use a USB Canon iP4500 inkjet and my Konica Minolta 5430 DL laser with great results.  Neither had a specific OS/2 - eCS driver and neither used Post Script or HPL.  This is a great system for printers that need different drivers and we should all thank the guys and gals working on it.  And thanks to Pete Brown for the warpin archive install test.
Matt W.

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.08.28, 19:46:52
No, but I will try that if/when they release 2.0 RC7 to Software Subscription holders :|

Time to get downloading then  :-)

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Hah, that's new. I checked early yesterday. Thanks for the heads up again :)

Saijin_Naib

eCUPS Warp-in worked great. Threw an error about the LIBC dll, but otherwise seems to have installed just fine.

I can't however, get CUPS to see my USB attached HP PSC1210xi. The USB.EXE file is in the CUPS backend folder but I guess I'm doing something wrong again -_-

The Linuxprinting.org site only lists HPLIP as supporting the PSC 1210xi, but they at one point had a .PPD for this printer.

Oh well, at least I have CUPS running this time. That is surely a step in the right direction.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.09.03, 03:41:11
eCUPS Warp-in worked great. Threw an error about the LIBC dll, but otherwise seems to have installed just fine.

I can't however, get CUPS to see my USB attached HP PSC1210xi. The USB.EXE file is in the CUPS backend folder but I guess I'm doing something wrong again -_-

The Linuxprinting.org site only lists HPLIP as supporting the PSC 1210xi, but they at one point had a .PPD for this printer.

Oh well, at least I have CUPS running this time. That is surely a step in the right direction.

Try running usb.exe from \cups\lib\cups\backend and check the output....

HPLIP isn't currently working - and looks like a nightmare to get working (heavy reliance on python scripts to do all sorts of things), but it's likely that one of the HP printers supported by Gutenprint would work with the 1210xi

Cheers,

Paul

warpcafe

Sorry, this is OT, but given the occasion...

Hi Paul!
Finally got your ADSL hooked up in the new home? :)

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

Thanks Paul.

When I run the usb.exe in the CUPS backend directory it just returns null. Nothing happens. If I run it with -h it does output an example string so I know it at least is running properly.

I am going to re-install and install LIBC ahead of time to be sure that that error was not a show-stopper. Even so, I can't auto-discover using the CUPS web interface and USB is not an option when I try to add one manually.

Saijin_Naib

Fresh install of eCS 2.0 RC7 and CUPs warp-in. This time it did not throw any errors and everything went along smoothly.

Attached my PSC and it was recognized by USBdock and the USB widget for eCenter.

Ran USB.exe and it still returns null?

Tried to discover attached printers and that failed. Adding one manually didn't have USB as an option.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: warpcafe on 2009.09.03, 10:23:00
Sorry, this is OT, but given the occasion...

Finally got your ADSL hooked up in the new home? :)

Yes :) Nice 21mbit sync speed too :)

Paul Smedley

Hi,

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.09.13, 21:11:34
Fresh install of eCS 2.0 RC7 and CUPs warp-in. This time it did not throw any errors and everything went along smoothly.

Attached my PSC and it was recognized by USBdock and the USB widget for eCenter.

Ran USB.exe and it still returns null?

Tried to discover attached printers and that failed. Adding one manually didn't have USB as an option.

Sounds like usb.exe doesn't think your printer is a printer :)

Does USB dock allow you to generate a report on the device showing all its details? Can you send me a copy of that report offline?

I'll also try and rebuild usb.exe using the latest CUPS 1.4.1 source code.  Perhaps there have been some issues fixed in the CUPS code.

IIRC there is also an option for verbose output - try running 'usb.exe -v'

Saijin_Naib

I guess because it is a Printer/Scanner/Copier combo it could be slightly different than a straight-up printer.

However, it does not have a card reader slot so I don't think its identifying as Mass Storage.

Anyway, I will try USB.exe with the -v switch and I will get you that device report.

Sorry to be such a pain >_<

RobertM

It is possible that the card reader sans slots is in the machine. (ie: the circuitry but not the requisite hardware to actually stick a card in). I've seen some HP laptops where they've done exactly that.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Paul

I had an email from someone called Paavo about a couple of problems with this WPI package. He also claimed that there was a problem with the included usb.exe:-

"There seems to be problem with latest USB.EXE (4.7.2009 106252 bytes).
At least for me it did not work. Replaced it with an earlier one,
8.3.2009 91429 bytes, and my usb printer was correctly detected. "

Looks like there was some sort of regression vis usb.exe...

Regards

Pete