• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OSFree

Started by cytan, 2009.09.03, 19:36:01

Previous topic - Next topic

cytan

Hi,
  I'm amazed that OSFree is alive! It is interesting to have people working on the next generation OS/2. Since OSFree is really an L4 microkernel hosting an OS/2 personality, and Voyager is supposed to OS neutral (I think ...), perhaps the two can be the next generation OS/2.

I'm also surprised that there is a FreePM that is being written too.

cytan

lpino

These are great news... ;D I can´t help to get jealous when I see Haiku going Alpha.. maybe one day we'll have a free OS/2 going Alpha and then we will have the chance to improve the system fixing things that where left abandoned and taking great technologies like MMPM (without bugs) SOM and others to the next level.

Thanks to the developers

cytan

Quote from: lpino on 2009.09.03, 20:16:40
These are great news... ;D I can´t help to get jealous when I see Haiku going Alpha.. maybe one day we'll have a free OS/2 going Alpha and then we will have the chance to improve the system fixing things that where left abandoned and taking great technologies like MMPM (without bugs) SOM and others to the next level.

Thanks to the developers

Not wanting to throw cold water on the OSFree project  :'( If we can use ReactOS development time as a guide as to how long it will take OSFree to get to alpha, I think we are at least 5 years away and that's being optimistic!  Background: ReactOS was started in 1996 and it is now at version 0.3 and it will take a while to get to 1.0.

lpino

I'm very aware of the time frame for these kind of efforts(at least 5 years). But it took 7 to decide the kernel to use in it, so to see actual work and not just words it's an even bigger issue, taking into account that we are a very "special" community.

miturbide

Leo, I'm also very jealous of Haiku  ;D

I think this is the kind of efforts that are going to give a future for this platform in the long term.

(Note to Everybody: If you remember the operating System BeOS, Haiku is an open source project to replicate it, and it is very advanced, since they have VMWare Images available of the OS running)
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

warpcafe

Hi,

yep, put my name on the list of jealous people too.
However - just not to miss on it: Their (Haiku's) situation is a completely different one... they had at least some kind of access to the stuff (when Zeta/YellowTab "died") and Microsoft was not holding IP rights on parts that noone could exactly name... while we all know what the situation with OS/2 is like. ;)

P.S.: I'm having Haiku running in VirtualBox ...out of curiosity. I like it. Waiting to see REXX being ready to rumble (there was a REXX for BeOS IIRC...)

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

I loved Zeta and I love Haiku. I am eagerly awaiting an installable ISO image.

I would love to see OSFREE succeed in this manner. An open OS/2 that can use hardware drivers for Graphics displays even? mmmm...