• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 Warp 3 : HD access time faster with an old PC !!!

Started by twister12, 2009.09.08, 13:05:10

Previous topic - Next topic

twister12

Hello Everybody,

we are using OS2/2 Warp 3 and we have a faster Hard Disk transfer rate with an OLD PC 800Mhz :
(Intel Celeron / 850 MHz
Base Memory 640 K
Extented Memory 523264 K
Cache Memory 128 K
Primary Master : LBA, UDMA 33,33822 MB

compared to a new one Petium 4 :
(Intel Petium 4  / 2.86 GHz
Base Memory 640K
Extented Memory 514048K
Cache Memory 512K
Primary Master : LBA, ATA 100,33822 MB)

As maybe anybody an idea, why the OLD PC is faster than the new one concerning the HD file copy, access ???
about 50% faster than the new PC !!!

Thank you

regards

twister

Saijin_Naib

Old PC has UDMA enabled which is a much faster transfer than presumably PIO on the P4 machine. Put UDMA on for the p4 machine.

twister12

Thanks for the answer,

In the BIOS of the P4, I activated the following settings :
IDE Primary Master PIO          [auto]       -> I can change to : auto,mode0,mode1,mode2,mode3,mode4
IDE Primary Slave PIO            [auto]       -> I can change to : auto,mode0,mode1,mode2,mode3,mode4
IDE Primary Master UDMA       [auto]       -> I can change to : disabled,enabled
IDE Primary Slave UDMA         [auto]       -> I can change to : disabled,enabled

I tryed to change the PIO setting to mode0, mode1, mode4, but at the startup I always see : LBA, ATA 100,.. never UDMA.... I can't really disabled PIO !

How to force UDMA ?

thanks

twister

Fahrvenugen

Hi,

Sounds like one of 3 things:

1.  You're using a 40 pin IDE cable on the P4.  Try putting an 80 pin IDE cable

2.  The hard disk you're using in the P4 may not support UDMA, in which case PIO might be the best you can get (check the specs on the HDD)

3.  There's something going on with the auto-detect in the system BIOS on your P4 machine causing it to see the drive as a non-UDMA drive, and it defaults to PIO mode.  See if the computer manufacturer has a BIOS update

Also, if you're running the danis506.add driver I think last time I read through the documentation on that driver there might have been something about a switch to use to try and force it to UDMA mode.  I know there are switches to force various PIO modes.  I honestly can't recall off the top of my head (it was about 2 years ago that I last read through those docs).  Check out the documentation on that driver and see if there is such a switch, give it a try (make sure you've got a boot disk / cd / maintenance partition / etc in case it doesn't work).

twister12

Thanks for the help,

1) It's a 80 pin IDE cable
2) The HD supports UDMA, we installed the same HD into an another PC and UDMA is activated
3) To be checked.

We installed the danis506.add driver, added the line into the config.sys :

BASEDEV=DaniS506.ADD / ......

We see a lot of possible options. Has anybody an idea how to force UDMA ? Which parameters ?
For the time being, we tryed different options, but no improvement with HD acess time

thanks

Andi

Is the harddisk is the only device on that channel? If not, many(all?) CD/DVD Drives forces bus speed to PIOx

Another question, you wrote -
old   Primary Master : LBA, UDMA 33,33822 MB
new Primary Master : LBA, ATA 100,33822 MB
so new one is 3 times fasten anyway. puzzling...

What are the real transfere ratios (f.e. mesured for one big file)?

twister12

Thanks,

That's correct, I have :
OLD PC :   Primary Master : LBA, UDMA 33,33822 MB
NEW PC :  Primary Master : LBA, ATA 100,33822 MB

The HD is the only one device connected to the Primary Master.

When I just copy one file (size : 4 Mbytes) from C:\tmp to C:\tmp1 into an OS/2 window, it takes between 3 and 4 seconds with the NEW PC, and about 1 second with the OLD one...

Radek

Please run

copy IBMS506$ somefile.txt
diskinfo v >>    somefile.txt
diskinfo c >>    somefile.txt

and post the results. This will make clear what mode is using your disk actually and what can be a problem.

twister12

The somefile.txt in case of NEW PC and in case of OLD PC.

In that situation the HD C:\ is not the same type between the new and the old PC, but we also tested with 2 same WD800 HD into the NEW and the OLD PC (Ghost image) and the result was always the same :

The OLD PC has an HD file access and transfer rate much faster than the NEW PC...

Thanks

warpcafe

Hi,

just my 2 cents:
Could it be that -for some reason- the new PC is operating its controllers with a bad IRQ or something...?

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Radek

Let us start here: the HD in the new machine IS NOT a busmaster. How come? UDMA HD must be a busmaster. Try

BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /A:0 /U:0 /BM /V

and other busmaster options (/GBM, /FORCEGBM). Note that you are risking hangup during boot, you need some rescue tool. If you have eCS CD, then you can use it (it does not matter that your system is W3, HPFS is the same). You can also archive the desktop before patching CONFIG.SYS and try to start from the archive when you get your machine hanged. Also, the driver is a bit dated (version 1.2). You can try a newer version - newer versions will know more HDs. If you succeed in making the HD a busmaster, post the listing again.

twister12

:) Thank YOU "Radek", Now the NEW PC is faster than the OLD one.... :) :) IT WORKS  8) 8)

Andi

Wonder if you have updated Danisxxx to the latest one and if you still need the arguments for it.