• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

HaikuOS R1/Alpha Now Live

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2009.09.17, 00:31:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Installed it in hardware on my P3 Celeron machine.
It is a very fast OS, very clean and simple UI. I'm back in love. I can't get a non-VESA driver going yet though so webpage rendering is absurdly slow. Also, some quirks are inherent in this build. I can't get beAIM to run because of a missing symbol for one.

EugeneGorbunoff

Hey, it's OS/2 forum!

Yes, I confirm that eComStation developers are monitoring Zeta/Haiku progress. We were learning the experience of Zeta. eComStation is better than BeOS!:)

btw, it's necessary replace the icon here: http://ecomstation.ru/temp/200910/network.png

Saijin_Naib

I don't know if Zeta is better than Haiku. Haiku atleast has a future, Zeta is dead.

Is eComstation better? It certainly doesn't look better, that is for sure. Also, Haiku has better filesystem support right now as well. No issues with FAT16 (LFN) and FAT32 and even NTFS.

What have you guys learned so far from the Zeta/Haiku project?
Can you take note that they currently have atleast a graphics driver that supports a lot of modern Nvidia hardware with some 3d accel and almost complete 2d accel?

Pete

Hi All

Just to pull this thread back more into the eCS-OS/2 world:

I've tried installing Haiku in VPC/2 and VBox/2 without any joy. It gets as far as the startup Splash screen with the last 2 icons greyed out and then simply sits there.

Any thoughts on why it cannot install?

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

I don't think that is necessary or any of your business Pete. I posted this in off topic to talk about another alternative operating system I quite like and has successfully overcome it's "dead" status.

Continuing your comment however, do you have a CPU with Hardware Virtualization Support? Does our VBOX port even support that yet?

So if I get you right, you have this last icon highlighted:
Chip       Loading CPU specific modules.

And these are grayed:
Folder       Final initialization of subsystems.
Rocket       Boot script starting the system.

Try this:
http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/bootloader.html

What that says to me is that something with the CPU is not right. Whether this is an ACPI/APM issue or the need for Hardware Virtualization is not something I know.

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

My apologies - I just jumped in quick and did not check what forum it was being posted in   :-)

I should also have mentioned that whatever is meant to happen when the spacebar is pressed during boot doesn't happen.

Reading through the Install notes I suspect I need to fiddle around preparing the virtual disk before starting an install. Not being that "up" on *nix means the attempt to install stops here. Maybe I'll try the next release...

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

No problem.

You sure your keyboard stroke is registered properly? The window for that keystroke is almost as finicky as our alt+f1 one, maybe even more so.

Does Virtualbox show if there is any keyboard input registered? You may have to adjust the "bios" of the virtual machine to change legacy USB support or something.

Also, its not a *nix base although it can use GRUB :P So don't get discouraged there.

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

As I said I'm not that up on *nix stuff and GRUB means nothing to me.

I simply would not know what/where to start so I'll give this a miss. Maybe I'll try the next release - if it is capable of preparing it's own disk.

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Haha, fair enough. GRUB can be a bit of a pain in the arse, but its getting a big overhaul for the next Linux release so I think they are improving it.

I've bought myself a VIA powered laptop so I can finally answer the question of "can eCS install on a VIA CPU/Chipset". It wouldn't boot on my netbook, that is for sure. This should be easier with a DVD-Rom attached via SATA or IDE instead of external USB.

Kinda very excited to see what hardware can get supported.