• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

NetDrive NTFS write performance

Started by chennecke, 2009.09.21, 17:36:33

Previous topic - Next topic

chennecke

Hi,

I've been using the NTFS plugin for NetDrive to access my Windows XP partition for a while now. No cases of data loss and the read performance is acceptable. However, the write performance is abysmal. I started copying a 750 MB file to the NTFS drive almost 2 hours ago and it's still running, causing 10 to 40% CPU load on an Athlon 64 XP 3500+ single core CPU. Does anybody know any way to improve the performance?

warpcafe

Hi,

ouch. Not sure, but the CPU usage indicators -for me- smell like it's using I/O and/or IRQ excessively. (?)
The only difference between read and write that I am aware of are the write validation and - oh, yes, the access rights handling perhaps. I can't tell what the NTFS driver is doing in that regards and how to speed it up... perhaps change some buffer/cache settings? Turn off validation? Turn on "double-buffer" ? :)

I know it doesn't help... but I have stopped using such things. I prefer having a thumb drive if the target machine is locally accessible, otherwise I use FTP (filezilla server on remote windows machine). That works a lot faster than most of the "non-OS2-native" file system drivers (including FATs for thumb drives).

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

chennecke

It's not IRQ load as the respective line in the XCenter widget remains flat, and I am not aware of any parameters for the plugin.

Well, the problem is that I only have one machine and need to exchange the data between the OSes. Using a thumb drive would mean writing to FAT32 under OS/2 which is less than stellar too. Most of the time, I just copy things to my HPFS boot drive and access that from Windows using the PINBALL.SYS driver which is pretty fast. But that driver does not work correctly with partitions over 4 GB. Argh!

Saijin_Naib

(I apologize if this response is not very helpful, but I would like to field it anyway)
I feel your pain Christian. Steer quite clear of the NTFS.IFS beta for write. It is rather miserable.
Would you be behind petitioning for a NTFS.IFS based upon the NTFS-3G Project?

When I had Xp/eCS on one machine I would flashdrive anything from eCS to XP. I keep all my valuable data on my NTFS drive so I just read-only mount the XP drive under eCS to get my pictures/movies/music/documents, etc.

I had tried the HPFS eCS volume but I found the overall performance impact on eCS was too much.

Right now I have 3 boxes on my router and I FTP back and forth. I've tried to get Samba to work on eCS and my Xbox but eCS Samba can be spotty and the Samba client is broken in the current build of XBMC.

I have been looking for a FTP.IFS but I can't find one. There does seem to be a Netdrive plugin available (payware :'( ) but I don't have netdrive (just EVFS) and I don't want to shell out the cash to test it.

It may be a good solution for you if you can hack together a simple storage box or find a NAS device.
Along those lines, I have a computer (my current eCS box) that I don't really want/need but I can't bring myself to throw it out because it works just fine. PM me if you want further details.

warpcafe

Hi,

okay.
This is perhaps "too damn simple" to work, but... I wonder if this thing here
http://www.free-av.de/de/tools/11/avira_ntfs4dos_personal.html
works in a DOS shell of OS/2|eCS...

...and if so, what the performance (especially in write) is like.
I didn't try it because I don't install DOS / WIn16 support any longer since a couple of years.
Perhaps you still have DOS support and check it out.

If the DOS shell is able to run this... whoo-hoo... wouldn't that really break the mould in matters of "a better DOS than DOS"? :)

'nite,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

I'll try it Thomas. I'll get back to you. Gotta switch machines.

NNYITGuy

Hello everyone,

I have had similar issues with NTFS with eCS.  I have a dual boot eCS / XPPro system for cross platform tech support. This is what I have completed successfully. 

- Installed NTFS support for eCS 1.2R or v2.0rcX is ReadOnly mode. 

- FAT32 partition formatted and eCS recognizable (See docs from DFSee).  FAT32 is recognized used by both eCS and XPPro.

- Use the FAT32 partition as the transfer meduim between the OSes.
   (I also use the eCS NTFS (ReadOnly) to mount possible corrupted NTFS drives with a drive bay.  This allow me to bypass the NTFS security and get to the meat of the failed NTFS file system.  I then transfer the recovered files/data to the FAT32 drive to then boot XPPro and then copy the files out to another NTFS based drive or partition in a drive bay.)

I hope some of this might help...

Best regards,
Todd (NNYITGuy)
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

CDRWSel

For performence raison, I prefer use NTFS which is faster on my system as FAT32. Of course, fat32 supports write operations but this one is very long (nearly 1 hour for a cd iso image) !
I use the very latest build of fat32 but this is the only supported cross-system ifs and for USB keys  :( 

Andi

I can write on an external USB FAT32 HD with  4,0MByte/s and read with 9,0MByte/s. That's only about 1/5 the write perfomance compared to JFS on the same disk. But it's reasonable fast for me.

For internal data exchange I had setup a FAT32 partition too. But I've not booted Win here for such a long time and never measured read/write perfomance. I suppose internal speed is similar.

Quotehttp://www.free-av.de/de/tools/11/avira_ntfs4dos_personal.html
As a DOS tool it will have the 8.3 naming convention drawback. So probably for most people not very useful.

warpcafe

Hi,

Quote from: Andi on 2009.09.22, 13:31:12
As a DOS tool it will have the 8.3 naming convention drawback. So probably for most people not very useful.

ehh,... did you check it?

Regards,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

Nah, I dont see a problem there... dfSee is DOS based, as are various NTFS disk recovery tools.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Andi

Quote from: warpcafe on 2009.09.22, 15:54:18
Hi,

ehh,... did you check it?

Regards,
Thomas
No. That's why I wrote "will/probably".

But I read a little in the documentation before writing. It needs DOS drivers and on most motherboards it's using slow PIO instead the faster DMA Mode to access the disk. I've the impression they make a low level harddisk access what is absolutly okay with a DOS Boot floppy like a disk partitioning tool or a virus scanner running from a floppy. But I find it way dangerous running whithin a multi tasking OS.

Maybe I'm completly wrong, but even if the drivers will work in a DOS box I do not see a chance to get files with long names via Warp-DOS to OS/2. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Partition/NTFS repair is a different thing. But I thought the thread is about getting NTFS (Win) files to Warp/eCS.