• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

QT Fun - Games

Started by Pete, 2009.10.02, 22:19:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/19324/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Friday, 02 October 2009

A. .. .

Hi All

Thought I'd give these games a try so downloaded and unzipped the files.

A quick read of README.OS2 later and I seem to have found the problem why neither game works
here:-

"... can only use one font at the moment,
     C:\PSFONTS\HELV.PFB. Make sure this file exists.If it does not exist a crash will happen."

Oh dear!

I presume the above is the reason why neither game starts at all; the game icon gets the "cross hatched effect" and then reverts to normal.

Shame I do not have a C: drive...

Hopefully the C: drive restriction will disappear in the very near future.

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

diver (Silvan?) already said that the hardcoded path to C:\PSFONTS\ is a current limitation of the Qt4 framework beta.

This implies (but does not state) that this restriction will be removed in the final version.

diver

we are not sure if we remove this restriction already with the coming beta3, but in the final version it's gone for sure. we will then also support more fonts.

regards
Silvan aka _diver

osw

Pete wrote:
(...)Shame I do not have a C: drive...(...)

Why so? What is wrong with having c: partition - even if it's occupied by windoze on ntfs ? Then resolving this issue is just a matter of logistics... I mean adding ntfs.ifs and creating psfonts dir on c: with one file in it. It did the trick for me. And I'm playing  blubbels (very addictive game).

Pete

Hi osw

Quote from: osw on 2009.10.03, 00:25:53

Pete wrote:
(...)Shame I do not have a C: drive...(...)

Why so? What is wrong with having c: partition - even if it's occupied by windoze on ntfs ? Then resolving this issue is just a matter of logistics... I mean adding ntfs.ifs and creating psfonts dir on c: with one file in it. It did the trick for me. And I'm playing  blubbels (very addictive game).

Well, I do have a C: drive in fact.

It currently contains a knackered installation of Windows2000.

The reason that installation is knackered is because I used the Windows Update tool to update the installation; now that system does not boot successfully. An email to M$ reveals they will fix the problem for a 1 off fee of about £150. Typical M$... I will not bother repeating what I told them to do.

I have no interest in repairing/replacing the Windows installation.

I certainly would not use ntfs.ifs to access any "Windows data" - unless someone has recently written a new driver that actually works and is prepared to rectify any damage that use of said driver may cause (usually the readme or other doc will offer a Disclaimer).

I'll wait until these apps are "grown up" and capable of finding the current boot drive with the \PSFONTS directory - or not.

Regards

Pete

Blonde Guy

Very interesting pair of games. QT4 looks great. I have no sound for Blubbels, though.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Saijin_Naib

What update did you install? Did you change any BIOS options hence? did you change the drive letters?

diver

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2009.10.03, 04:19:11
Very interesting pair of games. QT4 looks great. I have no sound for Blubbels, though.

That is normal :) as the current beta has no sound support.

If such features ever will see the light depends heavily on sponsor units.

fbakan

Quote from: Pete on 2009.10.03, 02:40:35
I certainly would not use ntfs.ifs to access any "Windows data" - unless someone has recently written a new driver that actually works and is prepared to rectify any damage that use of said driver may cause (usually the readme or other doc will offer a Disclaimer).

I'll wait until these apps are "grown up" and capable of finding the current boot drive with the \PSFONTS directory - or not.

Or take a HEX-editor, and change C:\PSFONTS\ in QtGui4.dll to something more accurate for your system ...

diver

we will provide new releases of the games, as since Beta3 of Qt4 we have native font support and a hack is not needed anymore. so stay tuned till we release them

see http://svn.netlabs.org/qt4 for more infos.

regards
Silvan