• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 GA released

Started by melf, 2009.10.20, 02:11:35

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/19351/1/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Monday, 19 October 2009

Effe. .. .

Downloaded the 3.1.1 release this night. Just a fast try..but first impression is that this GA is much better than the 2.4 release and a lot faster than the 3.0 beta. In fact it feels quite good and easy to work with. I'm positively surprised! One thing I still miss though is a drag-text feature which is very valuable I think.
/Mikael

Saijin_Naib

Wait a minute. I thought the GA of OpenOffice would be extended to me because the Beta was in development while I had SS and OpenOffice subscriptions.

I have no downloads now other than 1.2MR and no OpenOffice. I can't even get access to the older versions. What is this?

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.10.20, 04:13:58
Wait a minute. I thought the GA of OpenOffice would be extended to me because the Beta was in development while I had SS and OpenOffice subscriptions.

I have no downloads now other than 1.2MR and no OpenOffice. I can't even get access to the older versions. What is this?

Your software subscription expired?

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Yes, that as well as my OO subscription. I thought I would at least have access to the archived/old SS content but I have access to nothing now. Just 1.2mr and not even OO 1.whatever.

That is mighty unfair if you ask me. If I had access before, I should still have access. Granted, not to any new content but surely the content I could access before.

chennecke

Looks like a flaw in the authentification system to me. Just contact Mensys and point out the situation.

warpcafe

Hey,

did you double-check you entered at Mensys via the correct way?
AFAIK, there's 2 ways of logging in there... if you go via ecomstation.com and access your stuff, you'll only see pre-2.0 things for eC S and no OOO anyway. For that to work, you must go via ( heck, I don't recall ) something that reads "mendist" in the URL... at least that's how it works for me here.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Joachim

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.10.20, 04:13:58

This is unfortunately correct. Currently, if the subscription expires, so does the access to older downloads. We're redesigning the download system, but right now there is no access. The fact that your subscription was active during the beta doesn't grant you the right to the GA version... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Best regards,

Joachim Benjamins - Mensys BV

Saijin_Naib

Well then. I'm done. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I will have to evaluate purchasing SS and OO SS at a later date because it is just not financially smart to do so right now.

Glenn

Isn't it wonderful that you have supported the OO development through your subscription and now can't benefit? That's a wonderful way to keep your customers happy and supplying you more money. In a world of bittorent, you would think software vendors would do everything they could to make subscriptions more inviting instead of less.

Also, I wonder often if the LGPL is being violated (even slightly) in this project.

Saijin_Naib

I am a bit pissed, but I understand that they have a very small dev team and that OS/2 is a rather niche target. It makes sense that our build is not going to be free, even if it does kind of annoy me.

My issue is that I have lost access to EVERYTHING except 1.2mr, not just things that come out after my SS expires.

Oh well, at least they honor your SS by giving you eCS 2.0 GA (whenever that comes out), which will be useless to me because I won't have an office suite and I refuse to use Google Docs (although it does work in our Firefox suite which is very nice, thank you Firefox maintainers :) )

I will purchase it again but I would like to have the OpenOffice SS work the same way that the eComstation one does. If you pay the SS for the beta, you get the real version even if your SS expires. That seems fair to me.

Hell, charge me 20$ or something and then send me professionally burnt/packaged media. I'd rather have that than an SS that makes me download/burn my own media.

dljone9

Quote from: Glenn on 2009.10.21, 15:54:02
Isn't it wonderful that you have supported the OO development through your subscription and now can't benefit? That's a wonderful way to keep your customers happy and supplying you more money. In a world of bittorent, you would think software vendors would do everything they could to make subscriptions more inviting instead of less.

Also, I wonder often if the LGPL is being violated (even slightly) in this project.

agreed - similar to how one might have felt about having paid for the Serenity Virtual Station product
that never even made it to GA. it's a business model that i find distasteful, and makes me leery of
making future purchases from Serenity.

RobertM

Folks, why in the world would purchasing the support agreement for a specific period of time entitle you to something after that time has ended? Nowhere in the support agreement does it say "well, if something new - a whole new version number no less - is released, we'll just give that to you for free as well"

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

It doesn't. However, it should also not remove my access to everything released PRIOR to the expiration of the support agreement. They gain nothing from this. What is stopping me from archiving every old file before my SS runs out?

RobertM

Not trying to be critical, but just trying to understand what you are saying and put it into real world perspective...

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.10.22, 03:17:09
It doesn't. However, it should also not remove my access to everything released PRIOR to the expiration of the support agreement. They gain nothing from this. What is stopping me from archiving every old file before my SS runs out?

Absolutely nothing. Apparently you failed to do so. I, on the other hand, did not; hence I have the updated drivers I needed for eCS for the machines I run it on, and a CD burned with OOo.

As for it not removing access to things released prior:
(1) To do so on FTP or HTTP requires a rather large user access list - which will slow down the server quite noticeably... but let's skip that and go on to real world examples

(2) When people purchased IBM's Software Choice, IBM disabled all access to it when their subscriptions ran out - because, like your purchase with Serenity, your access is granted for the period you purchased, and access is ended when that period ends.

(2a) When people purchase Norton, and refuse to let it do automatic updating, when their subscription runs out, they do not retain access to the older files... like IBM's and Serenity's software subscriptions, access is entirely cut off.

(2b through 2 innumerable) When people purchase ______ and their subscription runs out, chances are, like the ones I referenced above, they also lose all access to the files that they purchased access to for a time.

This is nothing new. This is nothing out of the ordinary. This is standard, accepted, business practice by some of the largest corporations out there - and spelled out in the package that you bought.

Wanna hear something radical? I bet you that if you emailed Mensys or Serenity and said "Gee guys, I forgot to make an archive of OOo (or whatever) before my subscription ran out. Could you guys provide me access to it one more time so I can burn it to CD or something in the event I need to reinstall it?" that they'd probably say yes (providing you could prove you had purchased such).

Really, we can all keep rehashing how "Gee, I forgot to make copies to my local system of the stuff I needed before my online subscription ran out - but I want to blame Serenity because I forgot or didnt understand what I bought"

OR

We could return to the topic at hand, which is discussing the release of OOo 3.1.1 GA.

Best,
Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

chennecke

Quote from: Glenn on 2009.10.21, 15:54:02

As far as I know the source code for OOo for OS/2 is always submitted to the OOo code repository. Feel free to download it and try to build it yourself. What is not included is the WPS integration package which is an add-on and not part of the original product.

BTW, I can tell you officially that Mensys does not make money with this. All income from the subscription has been used to fund development and building so far.