• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OpenGL ddk

Started by tj81, 2009.11.07, 18:17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is more important to you for OpenGL?

High precision rendering
4 (19%)
Sacrificing precision for render speed
6 (28.6%)
A balance between the two (IF possible)
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Ben

For my part Dee, I'd rather have precision. While my machines are far from current, they aren't ancient either.

Now I know some with ancient machines will rather go for speed; I'll leave that up to them to voice where my fingers will type my stance. So... give me precision.  8)

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: abwillis on 2010.12.23, 20:19:39
The glpipeline.dll will need to be renamed unless requiring the use of win32k.sys.  At some point a restriction in DLL names was put into place allowing only 8.3 naming (something to do with allowing a smaller memory usage).

As promised, I've changed the names of the pipeline & 3d driver dlls to fit the 8.3 format. The new names are GL2PIPE.DLL (GL/2 Pipeline) & GL2DFT3D.DLL (GL/2 Default 3D).

BTW, I just reached commit 100! WOO HOO!!! ;D
The difference between what COULD be achieved & what IS achieved
is directly relational to what you COULD be doing & what you ARE doing!

Joachim

Quote from: demetrioussharpe on 2011.01.05, 04:06:00
BTW, I just reached commit 100! WOO HOO!!! ;D

Hi Dee,

I notice you even reached commit 137 yesterday :)

Accesible to anyone now via Trac: http://svn.netlabs.org/gl2/timeline

Regards,

Joachim

miturbide

I took the liberty to change/update the main page of the project:
http://svn.netlabs.org/gl2/

Please let me know any corrections to be done there.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: Joachim on 2011.01.06, 18:52:40
I notice you even reached commit 137 yesterday :)

Accesible to anyone now via Trac: http://svn.netlabs.org/gl2/timeline

Hello Joachim,

Thanks for giving me the heads up, I didn't realize that trac setup yet. I've really been trying to push this code out as fast as I can. In many parts of the codebase, I started coding before having a clear idea of what the result should be!

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.01.06, 19:52:27
I took the liberty to change/update the main page of the project:
http://svn.netlabs.org/gl2/

Please let me know any corrections to be done there.

Thanks for your initiative. I really appreciate it! I made a few slight changes to the wording of one sentence & put my full name in the credits, but nothing major. Feel free to do what you think needs to be done. I'm completely out of my element when it comes to things like that.

demetrioussharpe

I've been looking at the structure of GRADD drivers. It looks as though it really wouldn't be relatively too difficult, structurally, to add GL support to current video cards. Though, I'd admit that drivers designed to rely on VESA support should be rewritten to include hardware acceleration. I'll research this more & see if I can come up with a rough plan of action.

warpcafe

Heyda,

sorry if this completely off topic, already discussed or doesn't fit in here at all.
On the occasion of the recent Haiku bounty for porting Gallium3D:

Gallium3D is a cross-platform video driver API, on which an increasing number of open-source Linux drivers are based.
Gallium drivers have no OS-specific code (OS-specific code goes into the "winsys/screen" modules) so they're portable to Linux, Windows and other operating systems.

Now... is that of any relevance... or help?
Is Gallium3D (whatever it is) perhaps a viable solution for eCS?
As I said: If that has nothing to do with the "OpenGL DDK" because I'm comparing apples to pears... sorry! Was just wondering...

Read more: http://haikuware.com/bounties/gallium

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: warpcafe on 2011.01.25, 22:44:03
Heyda,

sorry if this completely off topic, already discussed or doesn't fit in here at all.
On the occasion of the recent Haiku bounty for porting Gallium3D:

Gallium3D is a cross-platform video driver API, on which an increasing number of open-source Linux drivers are based.
Gallium drivers have no OS-specific code (OS-specific code goes into the "winsys/screen" modules) so they're portable to Linux, Windows and other operating systems.

Now... is that of any relevance... or help?
Is Gallium3D (whatever it is) perhaps a viable solution for eCS?
As I said: If that has nothing to do with the "OpenGL DDK" because I'm comparing apples to pears... sorry! Was just wondering...

Read more: http://haikuware.com/bounties/gallium

Cheers,
Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your interest in the GL/2 project. I've been keeping track of Mesa3D & their Gallium3D framework for quite some time now. While there's a very high chance that I will use their drivers to gain knowledge of how to access the 3D features of various video cards, there're 2 major issues that cause me to refrain from using their codebase directly:

1). I'm striving to create a framework that's usable with the standard OS/2-eCS development toolchain. I do not want to mix & match development tools into a "Frankenstein" styled development environment that's not standard on neither *nix nor OS/2-eCS environments. For this project, I'd prefer to keep the development environment simple & easily reproducible for other developers who may want to contribute.

2). Mesa3D's frameworks seem to be highly *nixed based, which is understandable. This gives me a very low chance for code reuse, considering the fact that we do not have available the types of frameworks that other OS's use to port the codebase. Even Windows seem to use their D3D API for hardware acceleration. There does not seem to be support for using Mesa3D's hw drivers with the Windows platform.

demetrioussharpe

Allow me to tighten up my response a bit. Gallium3D is largely OS-independent. However, in order to use most of the drivers included in Gallium3D, a port of DRI/DRM is required. There lies the rub. I've attempted to port DRI/DRM to a platform that's more POSIX than OS/2-eCS in the past. There's so much XWindows cruft in there that I realized that it would be more benefitial to just write a DRI/DRM layer from scratch. Unfortunately, I did not have that kind of time laying around & I really didn't need that kind of headache. I would never attempt to disquade someone else from porting DRI/DRM, but I also won't help. I don't need that headache again.

warpcafe

Hi Dee,

well, now I see the implications. And ind that context, I can perfectly understand what you said/wrote!
It would have also been sufficient to simply tell me "There is X in it" in order to make me roll my eyes and say "OK, naa, thanks then." :)

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: RobertM on 2011.01.27, 02:16:24
Added a poll

Thanks! I know for sure that Ben votes for precision. Is there a way to add his vote in or does he have to do it himself?

Ben

Too late!

For I have already done it! :D

Now, I am the single vote for Precision against 3 & 3 for the other choices... whatever they may be... I really can't think of them right now... my mind seems to have blanked... something to do with precision too I am sure! ;)

I'll just have to sit and wait for others to choose the obvious choice and then wait as Dee codes for precision.::)

Hehehe... the reality of it is that I'll be pleased to see the finished product in whichever direction it is balanced. For it's the having of the extra functionality that we all anticipate!

For it is not our OS, but a goal,
                               That is determined in a Poll.
                               It will serve the eyes and too our minds,
                               That we not be left far behind.
                               And if this code should be complete.
                               Then few will think of our defeat,
                               But of our struggle to survive,
                               And keep our OS/2 alive.

:o

StefanZ

Well,
would not it be possible to have BOTH - precision AND speed - as selectable driver configurations?