• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OpenGL ddk

Started by tj81, 2009.11.07, 18:17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is more important to you for OpenGL?

High precision rendering
4 (19%)
Sacrificing precision for render speed
6 (28.6%)
A balance between the two (IF possible)
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Vincenzo

Hello Demetriuos, thank you for your explanations, now i have understand the difference about IBM OpenGL and GL/2. I will stay tuned, because i'm very interesting about how to write a GL/2 driver.

Vincenzo

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: demetrioussharpe on 2011.02.24, 01:41:48
After evaluating the codebase, I can find no actual ATi R200 driver implementation, the folder that was supposed to contain it is actually empty. Also, while looking at the GL glue API's, I found code for OS/2 versions of GLX & WGL. What I did not find, however, was an implementation of PGL. I can understand wanting to bring over these APIs from other OSes for compatibility reasons, but it really seems like everyone wants to abandon the original OS/2 APIs even when there's no need to. I'm all for extending our APIs & upgrading them, but we really shouldn't just abandon them when there's no real reason to do so.

I was sent an older version of WarpMesaGL which did have the ATi R200 driver beginnings. I have not had a chance to properly look through the code, but I can say that there's code there. Also, the sender has an OS/2 OpenGL readme page that may be of interest. It's located at: ftp://alter.org.ua/incoming/gl_os2.htm. By using this page, I was able to avoid a potiential bug by using a simple header fix. I will know for sure if this bug has be fixed once I start the GLUT implementation. In any case, this whole experience has been pretty pleasant & has taught me a lot. More to follow!
The difference between what COULD be achieved & what IS achieved
is directly relational to what you COULD be doing & what you ARE doing!

demetrioussharpe

Well, March 4th is right around the corner & there haven't been any other submissions. Looks like we might be able to forgo any actual judging. I think we might have our logo!

demetrioussharpe

Looks like we no longer need the poll. Back when the polls were even, I decided to mostly use 64-bit floating point precision for values that could be submitted as one of multiple types. They're now converted to the correct value for their respective types. Thanks to all who've taken the time to vote in the poll & thanks for setting up the poll!

demetrioussharpe

Ok, it's the 5th of March & we have no other submissions, so I'll email Joachim the new image for the GL/2 page.

Ben

Any headway with OpenGL/2?

I haven't heard anything in a while so I was wondering...

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: Ben on 2011.03.19, 17:32:31
Any headway with OpenGL/2?

I haven't heard anything in a while so I was wondering...

Still working on the memory management layer. Taking a break this wk, though, in celebration of my birthday.  Don't worry, the project is still ongoing.

Ben

Quote from: demetrioussharpe on 2011.03.19, 20:48:34
Still working on the memory management layer.

*nods*

Still working on the memory management layer. Taking a break this wk, though, in celebration of my birthday.  Don't worry, the project is still ongoing.

Ah!

Well, here's wishing you a very Happy Birthday celebration!

:D

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: Ben on 2011.03.20, 13:57:04
Still working on the memory management layer.

*nods*

Still working on the memory management layer. Taking a break this wk, though, in celebration of my birthday.  Don't worry, the project is still ongoing.

Ah!

Well, here's wishing you a very Happy Birthday celebration!

:D

Thanks! We're driving back from Dallas within the next couple of hours. After we pick up the kids, things will get back to normal.

demetrioussharpe

It seems as though I've accidentally wrote a few lines of code that render in a similar fashion to how Direct3D renders. Instead of deleting the code, I've decided to pursue it a little. Since GL/2 has an architecture that's mildly modular, I should be able to add D3D support without disrupting the rest of the framework & with using the same hardware drivers. More to follow!

Joachim

Quote from: demetrioussharpe on 2011.04.01, 16:36:16
It seems as though I've accidentally wrote a few lines of code that render in a similar fashion to how Direct3D renders. Instead of deleting the code, I've decided to pursue it a little. Since GL/2 has an architecture that's mildly modular, I should be able to add D3D support without disrupting the rest of the framework & with using the same hardware drivers. More to follow!

Wow, that's accidentally very cool!

Joachim

Ben

Quote from: Joachim on 2011.04.01, 19:30:52
Wow, that's accidentally very cool!

Joachim

Yeah!

I second that...

... highly unexpected! :o

I thought such a task would be overly complex and thus, not doable save... where a team would be involved.

demetrioussharpe

Sorry mates, mind the date! lol

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: demetrioussharpe on 2011.04.02, 04:58:31
Sorry mates, mind the date! lol

I know, I was wrong! But it was too easy of an April Fool's joke, I couldn't resist! All isn't lost though, gents. The way my code is structured does give way to adding a D3D style rendering subsystem. It did happen kind of accidentally, but there's no such D3D rendering code in place. I just wanted to clear that up before April Fool's day ended (in my time zone!).

abwillis

You should consider porting GL/2 to REXX/OS.
http://rexxos.netlabs.org/en/site/index.xml