• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OpenGL ddk

Started by tj81, 2009.11.07, 18:17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is more important to you for OpenGL?

High precision rendering
4 (19%)
Sacrificing precision for render speed
6 (28.6%)
A balance between the two (IF possible)
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

demetrioussharpe

Sorry it's been awhile. I haven't been able to work on GL/2 because of a combination of preparing to move & medical issues. Development won't continue until after the 1st of August. This will give me time to settle into the new house & put my office back together. More to follow.
The difference between what COULD be achieved & what IS achieved
is directly relational to what you COULD be doing & what you ARE doing!

miturbide

I wish you all my best Demetrius !!
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

demetrioussharpe

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.07.18, 06:01:38
I wish you all my best Demetrius !!

Thanks a lot! I've registered for warpstock & I'll be giving a presentation over what exactly GL/2 is. There's nothing to show visually, though.

Mike

welcome back Demetrius  :)

Quote from: demetrioussharpe
Hardware driver (possibly ATI RS480M, dependent on my secondary laptop being operational)

i good choice, i would vote for it when it may also work for a mobile ATI HD5xxx/6xxx graphics device  ;)

Quote from: demetrioussharpe
Sorry it's been awhile. I haven't been able to work on GL/2 because of a combination of preparing to move & medical issues. Development won't continue until after the 1st of August. This will give me time to settle into the new house & put my office back together. More to follow.

we wish you the best, take your time and then later we will have the warpstock news and wait till the next post here  :)

demetrioussharpe

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've said anything & I feel that it's been quite long enough. There's no good way to say this, so I'll just say it. I'm getting a bit tired of certain aspects of GL/2. Working solo slows things down a bit & is wearing on me. There's only so much that one guy can do. Also, I see how many of the OS/2 community can be resistant to change. On top of all of this, the fact of the matter is that everyone is constrained by the limitations of the horribly aged OS/2 kernel. With that in mind, the following changes will be implemented:

1). I'm scrapping everything in GL/2 except the PGL layer.
2). I'm going to look at how the Mesa3d guys were able to get it to build under VisualStudio & apply that method to getting the same to work for OpenWatcom.
3). I'm going to write my AGP drivers to the specifications expected by the SNAP driver framework.
4). I'm going to dig through the source code to the WarpMesaGL port & try to understand how the author was able to tie Mesa3d to the GRADD API & try to do the same while attempting to shoe-horn Gallium3d into it all.
5). I'm going to graft my PGL layer on top of the SNAP mgl system (yes, I have the SNAP sdk/ddk).
6). I'm going to replace Mesa3d 4.1 that in the SNAP 3d ddk with a more modern version that used Gallium3d.

All of this should amount to a pretty modern & robust 3d stack that's achievable in a much shorter time-span than the roadmap that I was originally working towards. Couple that with the fact that Mensys now has the source to SNAP for OS/2 & you end up with a situation where everything ties into each other, because SNAP will be automatically included in eCS when they finish doing whatever they're going to do for integration purposes. It is very likely that I won't do much more in this area for this community after this work is complete. There's simply too few OS/2 developers & I really don't see a real reason to move to another big project without a real developer support system.

Just wanted to let everyone know what's going on & that I'm still at work. As time permits, I'll update the docs in the repo to reflect the changes.

melf

Hi demetrious,
it is nice to hear from you again. Your points 1 to 5 isn't really understandable to me but your statement
"All of this should amount to a pretty modern & robust 3d stack that's achievable in a much shorter time-span than the roadmap that I was originally working towards" sounds as a very good development to me.

Allthough working alone (in any business) gives you freedom to decide, it also, as you say, wears on you. Can't offer any help with your work though, but please get in touch if you need help with e.g. testing things or so. Good luck with your work.
/Mikael

gap

Hello,
I have not done graphics driver programming and not developed in C for some time.

Also I don't have the SNAP ddk. 

If this is not a problem then I might be able to help.

All my current work is in Java which I do for a living.