• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SearchPlus 1.7

Started by melf, 2009.11.11, 18:05:26

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/19423/2/
QuotePosted by Administrator - Wednesday, 11 November 2009

As of t. .. .
I've tried Search Plus before and now again. I just made two simple tests: 1) searching for a document with known full file name on two drives.  2) searching for a text string on one drive.
I hate to say this but in both cases the old PMSeek searched through the drives in nearly half the time and found the same files as Search Plus. Case one: 9s against 15s, case two: 25s against 40s. Am I missing something? Are searchplus better for more complex searches?
/Mikael

Andi

Did you even compare to http://dataseeker.netlabs.org/en/site/index.xml ? Would be very interesting for me.

Can't check by myself cause I've installed an older SearchPlus version long time ago and now the shareware do not work anymore....

melf

Hi, Andy
Now I've tried ACdataseeker also and overall I have to revise my results. I don't know why but sometimes and that seems to involve all three programs you get a longer searchtime than most of the other times, even if conditions seems to be the same. That means that my previous results was more bad luck for SearchPlus and could equally had happened to PMSeek. So in my new timings I've tried several times on each programs. That test showed in fact no real time differences at all:

One file, with known file name on two drives:

PMseek: 9 s
ACDataS: 11 s
SearchP: 10 s

Another file with known file name on two drives:

PMseek: 9 s
ACDataS: 10 s
SearchP: 10 s

Textstring on one directory (C:\DIR\*.*):

PMseek: 64 s - 12 files found
ACDataS: 82 s - 12 files found
SearchP: 63 s - 12 files found

Another textstring on one directory (C:\DIR\*.*):

PMseek: 167 s - 7 files found
ACDataS: 169 s - 5 files found
SearchP: 168 s - 8 files found

/Mikael

Andi

Thanks for the comparision. What's really strange is the difference in found files. It should never happen that one utility finds more files than the other. Please be so kind and post which version of ACDataseeker you've used. I suppose it's not the last 0.52, is it? (Help - Product Information)

melf

Its 0.52b. First time I got 3 hits, next time and next 5 and there I stopped. I don't know what's affecting this. 
/Mikael

Andi

Quote from: melf on 2009.11.15, 13:16:11
Its 0.52b. First time I got 3 hits, next time and next 5 and there I stopped. I don't know what's affecting this. 
That's a weird bug. If you can reproduce it, it would be fine if you can fill in a bug report at http://svn.netlabs.org/dataseeker or drop me a email. For reproduction I would need the files in which you search. But this will be a problem if they contain private data.

Is your C: drive HPFS386?

One problem with the 0.52b version I'm aware of is, multiple searches combined with the or operator ( | ) do work only for the first 2 defined criterias. You usually encounter this when selecting more than 2 drives in the drives dialog. Although stated in the .inf file, even I did discover this after releasing 052b. This problem will be solved in 053. But that's not the case with your scenario.

Most effect on search speed I saw is disk cache of course. As no one really knows what the cache currently holds or wiped out, for comparision I usually try the same search multiple times while try to not allow any other disk IO in between. This reduces effects of different cache contents. But unfortunatly this says nothing about the real speed the user gets cause the same thing is rarely searched again and again in real world scenarious.

Regarding to Keiths presentation at Warpstock, SearchPlus should be faster if you search on more than 1 physical disk at the same time. But I do not know if this is still true when the partitions on the different drives uses the same ifs, cause as I understand the f.i. JFS cache is the same for all partitions regardless if they are on different drives or not. Would be a good question to Keith I think. SearchPlus should be faster on long text strings too. But I nerver tested this.

Beside others, I major drawback of pmseek is, it slows down your WPS dramatically. Many times you can hardly work with the WPS (f.e. moving a window) during a search. DataSeeker and SerachPlus do not have this problem.

Thomas

As it was said on Warpstock 2009 there could be some trouble when using netdrive. In case it is so you should contact the author of the program.

Thomas

melf

Andi,
I have mailed you my data.
/Mikael