• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Forcedeth ethernet port

Started by kim, 2007.06.12, 23:36:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Criguada

Hi all,
the driver is working beautifully for me, so I am in favor of awarding the bounty to nickk.
Since driver development is a difficult process, it would be nice if a public warning about the impending closure of the bounty was issued, like it was done with Paul Smedley's Gnash bounty claim, so that the bounty amount is (hopefully) increased and nickk is well rewarded for his work (I did a lot of testing with him, and at times he was sending me more than a build per day).

One thing people need to be aware of: the latest ACPI builds include by default an experimental implementation of OEMHLP functions. This experimental functions substitute IBM's original implementation, but due to bugs they make the driver fail. There is a documented way to re-enable IBM's original implementation, but on my system it DISABLES ACPI. So I am now forced to choose among having ACPI or having a functional NIC.
I have notified the ACPI developers about the problem, but still haven't had a reply (please see http://forum.ecomstation.ru/viewtopic.php?t=6200 and ask for a fix if you have the problem too).

Bye
Cris

obiwan

If this is based on Forcedeth it is GPL and must have the source available.

Blonde Guy

I love that bounties are being awarded, and I think Nickk is deserving.

I have one network device driver test that is worth posting, and I hope that someone with the hardware can do this one.

Connect via NetBIOS both ways, sharing and connecting. Copy a files adding up to 10 GB from one machine to another. There are four possibilities, depending on pushing and pulling from each machine.

If the driver is faulty (and many current OS/2 drivers are), then you will hit a kernel trap. You will possibly see the trap in NetBIOS, but that is wrong -- it's the fault of the device driver. I don't know the reason for the trap, but somewhere along the line, wrong source code was distributed, and that's why many drivers have the trap.

Good luck nickk!
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Cristiano Guadagnino on 2007.07.23, 13:42:22
One thing people need to be aware of: the latest ACPI builds include by default an experimental implementation of OEMHLP functions. This experimental functions substitute IBM's original implementation, but due to bugs they make the driver fail. There is a documented way to re-enable IBM's original implementation, but on my system it DISABLES ACPI. So I am now forced to choose among having ACPI or having a functional NIC.
I have notified the ACPI developers about the problem, but still haven't had a reply (please see http://forum.ecomstation.ru/viewtopic.php?t=6200 and ask for a fix if you have the problem too).

I wonder if this is why the driver didn't work for me.  It loaded OK but TCPIP couldn't bind to it.......

rudi

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.07.23, 23:57:50

I wonder if this is why the driver didn't work for me.  It loaded OK but TCPIP couldn't bind to it.......

If you have an nforce1 (PCI 10de:01c3) then it's a bug in the driver itself. Nickk sent me
a fix that I will test this afternoon.

Also I'm not fully convinced, that Cristiano's statement about the internal OEMHLP$ is correct.
Once the driver loads on my machine, I will have a look at it...

Criguada

Paul, rudi,
I had the same symptoms: the driver loaded OK but it didn't work.
It was nickk who pointed me to the ACPI problem, and that solved it for me (although the procedure described in the ACPI package to disable the internal OEMHLP$ doesn't work as advertised: it disables ACPI on my hw).
Please see ACPI FAQ Q.64 for a little how-to.

Hope this helps...
Bye
Cris

rudi

Hi Cris and Paul,

The updated version Nickk sent me this morning is working for 10de:01c3 devices.
I can now reproduce the ACPI problem and I do have an idea, what it might be. If
my assumption turns out to be true, it's discussable if it's considered to be a bug in
ACPI or in the network driver. However, it will be easy to fix...

fho

Hi
I just downloaded nveth-0.0.1.zip and installed it on an ASUS A7N8X-E Motherboard. This has 2 NICs: the upper is an MCT-T from the nForce 2 chipset  (10DE:0066), the lower is an Marwell 88E001 Gigabit NIC (11AB:4320).

Both are working with GenMac 2.0. The nForce 2 also works fine with the nveth-0.0.1. As soon as possible I'll test on an new ASUS M2N-E board with an nForce 570 chipset.

Fritz

rudi

Quote from: Cristiano Guadagnino on 2007.07.24, 10:50:53
It was nickk who pointed me to the ACPI problem,

I think, I've fixed the problem in ACPI's OEMHLP. I also suggested a workaround to Nickk,
so this will be solved in the upcomming versions of both ACPI and NVETH.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: rudi on 2007.07.28, 11:02:19
Quote from: Cristiano Guadagnino on 2007.07.24, 10:50:53
It was nickk who pointed me to the ACPI problem,

I think, I've fixed the problem in ACPI's OEMHLP. I also suggested a workaround to Nickk,
so this will be solved in the upcomming versions of both ACPI and NVETH.

I can confirm that the latest ACPI (not publically available yet) fixed my problems with nveth - so I'm also in favour of awarding the bounty to Nickk.

magog

Ok, I removed my last message as it is now working perfectly.
It seems the debug version killed itself when to much data hat to be transfered over the COM port.

The non debug version works perfectly!
Regards,
Juergen
*** Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de/

gamba

Quote from: fho on 2007.07.25, 17:47:35
Hi
I just downloaded nveth-0.0.1.zip and installed it on an ASUS A7N8X-E Motherboard. This has 2 NICs: the upper is an MCT-T from the nForce 2 chipset  (10DE:0066), the lower is an Marwell 88E001 Gigabit NIC (11AB:4320).

Both are working with GenMac 2.0. The nForce 2 also works fine with the nveth-0.0.1. As soon as possible I'll test on an new ASUS M2N-E board with an nForce 570 chipset.

Hi all,

has anybody tested the driver with a nForce 570 chipset (10DE:0373)?  I tried to install the driver from Hobbes, but I get this error in LANTRAN.LOG:

PRO0021: A general failure occurred when the program tried to bind TCPIP_NIF to NVETH_NIF.

and this seems to me an hardware error.

Bye and thanks
Gabriele

nickk

NVETH 0.0.2 version on hobbes. Sources included

miturbide

Any comments about version 0.0.2 ?
The source code is now included on the driver.

Let us know that is working to close the bounty.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Paul Smedley

Quote from: miturbide on 2007.08.10, 05:20:54

Any comments about version 0.0.2 ?
The source code is now included on the driver.

Let us know that is working to close the bounty.

Works great for me!