• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Forcedeth ethernet port

Started by kim, 2007.06.12, 23:36:15

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

kim

There was some suggestions made regarding this port that it should be expanded to involvde Nvidia chipset for all NICs; due to our weekly disk problems; we lost 24 hours of data... So it would be great if we just could take this once more?

warpcafe

Hi all,

here's the ramp-up on what was posted in the meanwhile before the data loss:

- Paul suggested to turn the bounty into "driver for nForce built-in NICs" instead of "port of forcedeth". He said that HOW it's done doesn't matter as long as we get a driver for the NICs

- I (Thomas) had replied that I agree and that we need the driver because we won't have MoBos with "enough" PCI slots in the long term that give us the chance to plug in PCI NICs and deactivate the onboard ones

- Cris has agreed and already paid money to the bounty. He suggested the port because he thought that it was the only option to go in order to get adriver

Conclusion:
Yes, turn the bounty from "port of forcedeth" into "driver for nForce chipset NICs".
I will add money to the bounty as well (nForce is my preferred chipset and I would welcome a driver for the NICs)

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Criguada

Hi Kim,
basically the request was to modify the bounty in this way: do not request a port of focedeth, instead request a way to enable the NIC of the nForce chipset under OS/2, whichever this way is.
The forcedeth port can remain as a suggestion (useful for those who don't know about this driver or as a starting point), but the bounty should not discriminate among solutions.
I agree with the suggestion (made by Paul Smedley). We want the NIC to work, we don't want to force a particular development path.

Thankyou!
Bye
Cris

kim

Excellent! I'll update the bounty task either today or during the weekend. But, I agree with the idea (I did read the earlier posting from Thomas and Paul) and support this change of the bounty.

Criguada

Kim,
are you going to update the bounty? I see nobody is adding money to it, probably waiting for it to be updated...

Thank you
Bye
Cris

kim

Sorry for the delay, but been away for couple of days. But, I've changed the bounty name to Pauls recommendation and I think that the rest of the text works out.

Also, when it comes to update the bounty text, I'm actually think that it might be an good idea to set the person who suggested the bounty as owner of the article. In this case it's Cris and that would make sure that the suggester and as well the other staff can assist in updating material. An idea to aprove?

warpcafe

Hi Kim,

good idea! Would that be feasible for the other (past but still open) bounties as well?
That would give me the chance to add more descriptive text for example.

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

kim

Quote from: warpcafe on 2007.06.21, 14:48:17
good idea! Would that be feasible for the other (past but still open) bounties as well?
That would give me the chance to add more descriptive text for example.

To keep this thread clean I've posted splitted the topic and follow-up can be found here.

obiwan

If I had time to look at this, the first thing I would look into is whether there is already any network driver ported from Linux, because its source could be used as a basis. If not, I would then look for any open source network driver.

The answer would probably be useful to anyone who might want to try. Does anyone know?

Criguada

Hi,
there already is a driver in development by a Russian developer (nickk).
He does not have the hardware, so he is relying on beta testers to debug the driver.
If you have a COM port, another computer, and a null modem cable, you can participate in testing (he is routing debug messages through the COM port). I am testing it already.

Bye
Cris

obiwan

I don't have this hardware. My intent was to offer a bit of advice because I am interested in seeing a long-term solution for porting such drivers now and in the future, not just one driver for one device.

miturbide

Hi all

nickk had made a claim request for this bounty.

Please, sponsors and people that have the hardware, try the driver at:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/incoming/nveth-0.0.1.zip

(soon to be moved to http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/drivers/network/nveth-0.0.1.zip )

Regards.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

miturbide

My only observation, since I don't have that hardware, is that the driver source code should be also uploaded to hobbes.

martin.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

kim