• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Looping sound

Started by StefanZ, 2009.07.26, 23:14:09

Previous topic - Next topic

StefanZ

Hello everyone.

I'm experiencing lots of loop-sounds with any of the multimedia applications for the last months.
The applications affected are MPlayer, Z! and EmperoarTV.

Loops are occuring from time to time on mplayer without any specific reason. They are also occuring almost every time there is a high system load, caused by other applications.

This is sometimes getting very frustrating because sometimes it is impossible to watch video or listen to  music on background while doing other work.

Does anybody here has the same experience? ....and suggestions on how this can be dealt with? ???

RobertM

Sounds like an IRQ conflict... certain drivers and sound cards handle that poorly.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

As Robert says it is most probably an IRQ conflict.  Have you changed anything or added anything lately? If sound worked before what has changed in physical equipment or software?

StefanZ

Hmmm - interesting idea. Haven't thought about that.

I did not change anything on my hardware, since I'm using laptop (ThinkPad R51). The only thing that is really changing is software - various releases of eCS Betas and RCs with various versions of ACPI and kernels (moved to SMP kernel, on single core system). And potentially other diver's versions. Could the various plugged USB devices be the usual suspects here?

This is my rmview output:
RMVIEW: Physical view
  IRQ Level =  0  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    TIMER_CH_0
  IRQ Level =  1  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    KBD_0 Keyboard Controller
  IRQ Level =  2  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    PIC_1
  IRQ Level =  4  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = MULTIPLEXED  SERIAL_0  Serial Controller
  IRQ Level =  5  PCI Pin = B     Flg = SHARED       Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with Analog Devices AD1981B
  IRQ Level =  8  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    RTC
  IRQ Level =  9  PCI Pin = B     Flg = SHARED       UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller
  IRQ Level =  9  PCI Pin = A     Flg = SHARED       Intel 2200 Wlan
  IRQ Level =  9  PCI Pin = C     Flg = SHARED       UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller
  IRQ Level =  9  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = SHARED       ACPI Interface
  IRQ Level = 10  PCI Pin = D     Flg = SHARED       EHCI Compliant USB Host Controller
  IRQ Level = 11  PCI Pin = A     Flg = SHARED       Intel 10/100/1000
  IRQ Level = 11  PCI Pin = A     Flg = SHARED       UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller
  IRQ Level = 12  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = SHARED       AUX_0 PS/2 Auxiliary Device Controller
  IRQ Level = 14  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    IDE_0 xATA Controller
  IRQ Level = 15  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    IDE_1 xATA Controller
  IRQ Level = 44  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    ACPI Interface
  IRQ Level = 45  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    ACPI Interface
  IRQ Level = 46  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    ACPI Interface
  IRQ Level = 47  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = EXCLUSIVE    ACPI Interface

Seems, that "Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with Analog Devices AD1981B" resides on IRQ 5 alone, although it has a SHARED flag. I know that IRQ linking/sharing can be changed through acpi.cfg, but I never touched that one. This is a pre-installed ACPI configuration.

These sound issues did not really happen before SMP+Panorama system (RC6a) (ok, maybe only with mplayer :) ).

Pete

Hi StefanZ

The looping sound is probably the result of using the wrong build of uniaud32.sys

If the R51 audio is HDA then you need to try some of the uniaud32 1.9.xx builds to see what works best. There are a few here to play with :-)   http://download.smedley.info/

Regards

Pete

ivan

You know not all devices appear on rmview.  You would be better off using PCI /S /R (from PCI104vk.zip) to give a better picture of what is happening.

The fact you are using an SMP kernel shouldn't cause the symptoms you are seeing, neither should USB devices unless you are trying to stream from one and you have another one on the same controller doing something else e.g. a USB mouse.

StefanZ

1) No, this is not HDA audio, this is AC97.

2) Yes, I know that not all devices are visible by rmview, but I did not want to spam the thread with huge lists :)

Here is the detailed overview:
Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 31, Device Function 3
Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
Device 24C3h 82801DB/DBL SMBus Controller (ICH4/ICH4-L A1 step)
Subsystem ID 052D1014h Unknown
Subsystem Vendor 1014h IBM
System IRQ 5, INT# B

Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 31, Device Function 5
Device 24C5h 82801DB/DBL AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH4/ICH4-L A1 step)
Subsystem ID 05541014h SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
System IRQ 5, INT# B

Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 31, Device Function 6
Device 24C6h 82801DB/DBL AC'97 Modem Controller (ICH4/ICH4-L A1 step)
Subsystem ID 055A1014h Unknown
System IRQ 5, INT# B

The there are 3 devices using the same LINKB in ACPI, LINKB is assigned to IRQ 5.
Is there any possibility to split those devices, so that at least one (sound card) can use a dedicated LINK/IRQ?