• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Blinking Cursor Problem

Started by ofey, 2009.11.26, 06:45:16

Previous topic - Next topic

ofey

OK I'm going to take the advice to try and get a back up HDD.  Will buy another 540MB HDD off eBay and back up the current HDD to that.

Is there a DOS based command for me to copy the whole of the current HDD to the new one when it arrives?  Either as an image or into a folder? Sorry but I come from the world of GUI so I'm quite lost here.

Further then to my first question.  How can I optimise my autoexec.bat and command.sys?

Saijin_Naib

I think that XCOPY should copy everything over from one drive to the next.

The way I would do it (assuming that what files/filesystem on the drive are not corrupted) would be to boot a floppy or CD of Dfsee trial and use that to image the one drive to the other directly.

RobertM

Saijin is correct.

The steps I would take are as follows...
(1) remove all hard drives from the computer.
(2) Install new hard drive and install boot manager and create partitions (and format)
(2a) boot off OS/2 disks to do this
(3) shut down and install old hard drive in computer (as secondary drive on controller - not as primary).
(3a) boot off OS/2 disks again
(4) xcopy from old drive to new one in this fashion (when at OS/2 command prompt on Drive C/new drive):

xcopy d:\* /h /o /t /s /e /r

Substitute d:\ with whatever drive letter the old one is assigned.

(5) shut down (control-alt-delete and turn off at bios screen) and remove old hard drive.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Robert

The /o option is overwrite - not needed with a blank disk.

The /v option - verify - should probably be used though.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Hi Pete,

Forgot about the /o removal for a new drive. Left off the /v simply because I am guessing it verifies against the original, on an already failing drive, so I wanted to minimize the usage of that drive.

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|