• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Trouble with a capital T!!!

Started by Dennis, 2007.06.13, 01:20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

Hi, Again!

I did Alt F2 when I booted my laptop. The only driver that stayed on the bottom of the screen as long as the eCS logo did was OS2ASPI.DMD. The line read 'Installed OS2ASPI.DMD'. Doesn't mean a thing to me.

However, here is where the trouble comes in:

After the eCS logo went off, the boot sequence hung with the following:

Exception in Module HPFSMINI
Trap 000d  ERRCD=0000  ERACC=****  ERLIM=********
EAX=feffa71a EBX=ffdda6fb ECX=00000000  EDX=0000042e
ESI=00f300ac  EDI=ffde4abb  EBP=00004c3c  FLG=00213292
CS:EIP=03e0:00005653  CSACC=009f  CSLIM=0000574b
SS:ESP=0030:00004c12  SSAC=1097  SSLIM=00003fff
DS=0400  DSACC=00f3  DSLIM=0000149b CR0=80010013
ES=0428  ESACC=0093  ESLIM=0007fff  CR2=fc411000
FS=0000  FSACC=****  FSLIM=********
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********

The system detected an internal processing error at location ##0168:fff1da1f-000e:ca1f.

0886090f
Internal revision 14.103a_W4

The system is stopped.

I have tried rebooting and booting from the install CD (hoping to reinstall eCS and get past this problem).  I tried booting from an archive. Nothing worked. Everything came back to the above information.

I cannot boot the laptop!!! What do I do????  HELP!!!!!

Dennis
Dennis

DavidG

The system can't find your OS/2 system files.

It could be that OS2 and OS2/dll was deleted out path and libpath statements in your config.sys.

Dennis

Thanks, David.  What do I do n ow? The laptop boots from the eCS CD, gets to the 'Welcome' screen, tells me to click 'Next' to continue, but the Welcome screen is so big that it doesn't fit on the laptop screen. I can't even see the 'Next' button. If I hit 'Enter' I get install Help, so the highlighted, but unseen button must be 'Help', not 'Next'. Where do I go from here?????
Dennis

DavidG

Instead of hitting the Alt+F2 on startup, hit the Alt+F1 key combination to go to the rescue menu.  Select the command prompt option.  See if it boots to a command line.  This will tell us whether your OS2 system files are ok.  If it boots to a command prompt, then enter

tedit config.sys

Hit the escape button and use your arrow key to move down the file.  then look for your path and your libpath statements.

If your

drive:\os2

is missing from your path statement, add it replacing drive with your drive letter.

If your

drive:\os2\dll is missing from your libpath statement, add it again replacing the drive with your drive letter.

I can't remember if F2 is the key to save any changes and F3 to exit.

If you can't boot to a command prompt, then your files are corrupted or destroyed.  Then somehow we need to figure out why you cannot install eCS from your installation disk.

What eCS are your installing?

warpcafe

Hi Dennis,

Quote from: Dennis on 2007.06.13, 03:30:53
..., but the Welcome screen is so big that it doesn't fit on the laptop screen. I can't even see the 'Next' button. If I hit 'Enter' I get install Help, so the highlighted, but unseen button must be 'Help', not 'Next'. Where do I go from here?????

Try Alt-F7. That should make the window become moveable.
You could also try to use cursor keystroke when in that state, e.g. "up" will focus the upper border of the window frame and allow you to grow/shrink the window vertically. Note that this resize stuff only works for windows that are "sizeable" - no guarantee. ;-)
Moving the window after having pressed Alt-F7 however should work - except if the window is "maximized" and there's no space left around it.

Hope this helps!
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

warpcafe

Hi Dennis,

me again - sorry, forgot to mention something...
If "Enter" invokes the "wrong" button, give it a try to hit the TAB key first. If the tab sequence in the window was set up correctly by its developer, that should take the input focus to the *next* button of that screen. Now hit Enter again.
BTW: "Enter" sometimes is redirected to a "default button" of a dialog/screen. The actual correct keystroke to "click" a button via keyboard is the space key.

Keeping fingers crossed, Regards,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Dennis

Hi, All!
Thanks for the replies. Here are my answers:

1. Installing eCS 1.2R
  2. Alt-F7 doesn't work. The window is already maximized and there is no room at the edges.
  3. Have managed to get to the 'Format Volume' window and started formatting C:.

Will get back to you when I get stuck again(please note the 'When I get stuck', not if...).

Thanks again

Dennis
Dennis

warpcafe

Quote from: Dennis on 2007.06.13, 17:15:50
  2. Alt-F7 doesn't work. The window is already maximized and there is no room at the edges.

Hi Dennis,

good to know you have proceeded a little. Sadly, I don't know the key to toggle between full-size/restore but the i'net surely provides it somewhere, I have no os/2 at hand here at work...
...ehh, can we "lowercase" the capital "T" ? ;-)

Greetings
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Dennis

Welll....
I might be inclined to make the T into a t--if I can get past the 'Configure Network' screen. I don't think I have a network adapter on my laptop, even though there is a place to plug in the cable from the ethernet router. However, for some reason I am unable to activate the invisible 'Next' button on the "configure Network' screen. I sure hope I can change the resolution to something smaller once I finally get eCS re-installed.

Should I tell the installation that there is No network adapter? The D-link router I have isn't on the 'Add An Adapter' list. Or, should I tell the install that the etherlink router is another brand/configuration?

Dennis
Dennis

warpcafe

Quote from: Dennis on 2007.06.13, 19:42:13
I don't think I have a network adapter on my laptop, even though there is a place to plug in the cable from the ethernet router.

Well, if that proves to fit a rj45 network cable plug (and not a modem cable which is smaller) then it appears you indeed have a network adapter. Then, the remaining question would be to find the right drivers... BTW what brand/model is that laptop? And what "generation" (cpu I mean)...That could help clarify.

Quote from: Dennis on 2007.06.13, 19:42:13
Should I tell the installation that there is No network adapter? The D-link router I have isn't on the 'Add An Adapter' list. Or, should I tell the install that the etherlink router is another brand/configuration?
Well, the router will certainly NOT be available in there, routers are not network adapters. In fact, you will attach your network card to the router with a cable, but obviously, you need a network card to do so. ;-) So we need network adapter drivers.
(From the viewpoint of your laptop, whether or not there is a "router" or other kind of network infrastructure device has no relevance...)

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Dennis

Hi, Thomas!

According to the builder, the adapter is Realtek SiS(?) chipset, which Isn't on the eCS list. There are, however, Realtek adapters listed. Should I just pick one?

The laptop is not a recognizable brand name. The CPU is 2002, Pentium 4 Mobile 1.7

Lowercase 't' if I ever get thru this mess...

Dennis
Dennis

warpcafe

Hi Dennis,

the best would be to have the PCI+AGP sniffer tool "pci104vka" (IIRC that's the name) check the pci devices.
It will show a list of vendor/model IDs for all devices on the pci/agp bus, most noteably the built-in network card.

It's available here http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/misc/pci104vka.zip
and very easy to use, iirc it even fits on a floppy...

For the buitl-in LAN (network) chipsets, I can't tell... SiS surely is the "mainboard" (or southbridge) chipset, but if there somewhere is a realtek chip, then chances are VERY good you'll find a suitable driver. If you're impatient to try out and don't want to wait for the pci sniffer output... heck, FWIW, well, try to use the realtek 8139 driver which I have found is the most "flexible" and stable one. It's install name should be "Realtek Fast Ethernet Network Adapter driver (3.23vk)" or so... if that doesn't work, we can still always kick it later and take the "correct" one instead. ;-)

Oh, yes... in case the sniffer does not tell you anything about a network card, it might be that it was disabled in the laptops BIOS... just to make sure you are aware...

Regards, good luck,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Dennis

The 'T' has been changed to a 'Y' for Yay! It finally works!

Thanks for all the help!

Now to get theDNS, TCPIP, etc set up.

Dennis
Dennis

warpcafe

Hi all,

a quick recap since we've lost some work from the last days:

Dennis please run the pci104vka as mentioned earlier, so we can check the actual chipset and make sure you've got the correct driver. This will help us narrowing down the cause for the "no cable attached" message.

If you still are interested in getting to know how to get a linux bootable CD (that messages are lost) I can rewrite it to you, but let's see the sniffer output first.

Regards,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

kim

Thanks Thomas for being a good sport with re-writing old replies again! We made some changes last night that hopefully would get ride of issues that we have had. Also I've changed so that we make a backup of the OS2 World database every 3rd hour (earlier it was every 24th hour) now until we we see that the system is stable.