• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Trouble with a capital T!!!

Started by Dennis, 2007.06.13, 01:20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

Hi, Thomas!

I ran the 'sniffer'. Here's what I got for the network card:
   Device Number 6
   Vendor 10Ech Realtek Semiconductor
   RT8139(A/B/C/813x) Fast Ethernet Adapter
   PCI Class Network, t ype Ethernet
   Subsystem ID 001214C0h RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
   Subsystem Vendor Compal Electronics Inc
   System IRQ 10 INT#A

I belive I chose the 8139 driver, but I'm not sure. How do I find out?

Also, I asked some time ago about eliminating eCenter, but the post telling me how to was deleted. Please tell me how to not have eCenter appear--permantly.

Thanks

Dennis
Dennis

warpcafe

Hi Dennis,

darn - it's the right one then. I hoped for "just the wrong driver".

How to find out what driver you had chosen:
You can tell from what it says at bootup - it should display an according message.

Or - the hard way:
Check for a line in your config.sys that reads
DEVICE=x:\IBMCOM\MACS\nnn.os2
where x is your os/2 drive letter (e.g. "c") and "nnn" is the device driver name - e.g. "rtsnd.os2"

Then goto the ibmcom\macs directory and take alook into the "nnn" file (be sure to not modify it, e.g. use a file utility with viewer function). Also, you could use e.exe, os/2's built-in editor. Just confirm the message about "nulls" and here you are.
Somewhere around the top of the file should be a an appropriate text.
Make sure to NOT "save" the file as it will get damaged by the editor then.

Seems like we need a different "OS" to check if your network card really works.
I don't believe it's something with sharing interrupts or so...

- Are there any other "error" messages at bootup?
- Can you post the drivers display at bootup (or the name found in the driver file as described above)?
  I just need to check what it says (e.g. some version number, etc.).
- And please have a look at \ibmcom\lantran.log to see what is contained in there (and post it here, please).

Let me think about next steps and check some things...
Sorry that no quick'n'easy solution is at hand.

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Dennis

Thanks, Thomas!

I am going to try plugging the cable from my laptop directly into the cable modem--later, as i have to go out on business now--to see what that does, if anything. At worst, I figure plugging directly into the modem will tell me if the cable is good and/or the router port is working. The router has to be working because the modem is connected to the router, which is then connected to my--ugh!--windoze system. After that.....

Here's one for you--in the lower right corner of the Mozilla browser window there's an icon of a cable that's either plugged together--which mine is-- or unplugged if your computer isn't connected to the internet. Like I said, when I open the Mozilla browser. it shows my laptop IS connected...

Dennis
Dennis

warpcafe

Dennis,

this Mozilla icon is very misleading.
What it says is that MOZILLA is using online/offline mode, which has nothing to do with the actual physical network connection.
In offline mode for example, Mozilla will open files from harddisk but not retrieve anything from the internet when an URL is found somewhere. I use that to check suspicious mails (refusing them to retrieve something from the internet when viewing them).

Just for the fun of it:
Unplug the network cable from the windoze machine and put it in the laptop. See what it says when booting...

HTH
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

warpcafe

Hi Dennis,

well I have downloaded the latest set of drivers from Realtek.
Of course, there are no OS/2 drivers in there, but that wasn't the reason why I did it. What I wanted was the "inf"-file for the driver set, because it maps PCI IDs to windows drivers/registry entries. Everything matches. Good. And bad: No news for your issue.

Once you find the time to check - make sure to have installed an "8139" something driver but NOT(!) a driver that also supports "8169" stuff. If in doubt, download the 8139 version 3.23 drivers from hobbes. (Have a look for "realtek" - that should narrow it down to 4 or 5 files.)
With "older" hardware chances are that an "older" driver version works (or works better). But before messing with drivers and files, give a try to the cable that you other PC is using (and which obviously works). Also, sometimes (not often though) the contacts in the rj45 "socket" are not aligned OK or don't fit with the plug accurately and thus don't contact... have a look at it.
(Does the network cable "click" into its socket and is seated in a "fixed" way?)

Regards,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Dennis

Hi, Thomas!

Hope you had a good weekend. Just wondering--are you in the US?

Here's what happened over the weekend:

1. Long(25') cable, router output port 1 to laptop--no connection
  2. Long cable from any router output port to laptop--no connection
  3. Long cable from any router output port to windoze--connect
  4. Short(6') cable from router output port 1 to laptop--connected 2 of 5 times
  5. Short cable from any router output port to windoze--connect.

When the laptop did connect to the cable, neither Mozilla nor Firefox could find their homepage. Also couldn't find Google. It said if my computer/network is using a firewall(the windoze system does) to make sure the firewall allows Mozilla/Firefox to connect to the web. I'm not sure of how to setup a windoze-OS/2(eCS) connection thru a firewall. And with an unreliable connection.....

Dennis

Dennis

warpcafe

Hi Dennis,

my weekend was fine, although I had one or two drinks too much on Saturday and don't quite remember what has happened before breakfast on Sunday (where I had my first coffee)... ;-) anyway - no, I'm not from the US, I'm from Germany. :-)

Concerning your notebook... it seems like something's wrong with that notebooks network adapter plug. In addition I'm not sure if/how your network settings in OS/2 are configured. Depending on circusmatnces, you might get in trouble with static/dynamic ip adresses and/or lease times... whatever.

"Mozilla not finding the homepage when connection works" is due to your network settings (DNS, routings, etc. to be exact). I think you've got the right driver for the network card.
So let's gather more information:

- We need to find out how your router is set up (dhcp? ip adress range?)
  This will help us to judge whether os/2 reacts correct or wrong -or-
  to set up the tcp/ip manually in order to see what happens

Forget about that firewall w/ Windoze or whatever... the only firewall that comes to mind right now would be the one built into your router... which shouldn't be a problem in that case, as your other machine is able to connect to the internet (although running an operating system that is "more vulnerable") ;-)

The problem right now is to judge
- is the rj45 plug "broken" (2 out of 5 times a connection... loose contacts?)
- is your network/driver situation 100% correct?
- is your tcp/ip + protocol(s) setup correct?

So do me a favor and check what windoze is telling you when you run "status" from the context menu of the network icon in the windows tray/taskbar (lower right corner by default). Once the status screen appears, select the "network support" tab (don't know if that's the exact name, having a German windoze here...).
(...assuming you're running something win2k or "higher" like xp...)
Then tell us what it says at "adress type", "ip adress", "subnet mask" and "standard gateway".

We'll use that information to check your os/2 notebooks network "behaviour"...

Keep the faith! ;-)
Regards,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

DavidG

Is he just installing the network card driver or is he trying to install the Genmac driver in addition to the network card driver?

David

Dennis

Hi, David

I don't know what a 'Genmac' driver is.....
I'm attempting to get my laptop to consistently connect to the internet(cable modem) via ethernet router cable
I'm trying to get the browser on my eCS 1.2 laptop to work
I think the problem right now is getting everything setup properly. For some reason, it seems everything has to be setup manually.....

Dennis
Dennis

Dennis

Hi, Thomas! Wie Gehts? (Please don't answer in German--it's been almost 50 yrs since I spoke or read it(lol)

That good old German beer will get ya every time (lol)

I'm going to print your post above and see what works, etc. May take a bit to get back to you with all the info.

Dennis
Dennis

warpcafe

Hi David,

Quote from: Dennis on 2007.06.19, 21:49:31
I'm attempting to get my laptop to consistently connect to the internet(cable modem) via ethernet router cable
I think the problem right now is getting everything setup properly. For some reason, it seems everything has to be setup manually.....

...actually the problem is not to install everything manually, but to find out what the f*** is going on with that machine (sorry for being so rude;-)).
First, the whole initial install process was error-prone beyond belief.
Secondly we don't know WHAt and HOW it was installed during network setup because we had a loss of messages in the forum here.
Third, we don't know if the network plug and/or patch cables are OK.
And last but not least, we need to know the cable modem/router setup.

Ehh... yep. That was it.
:-)

But on the other hand, we have already managed to get the machine up to the point where it is now... which I already consider as a success. :-)

@Dennis:
OK, waiting for your response. Oh, BTW: Could you also post your "protocol.ini" here if that's feasible? That will tell us how your network is set up... but beware of "typing" the contents - it's a lot usually. Have you any way of "transporting" files from the laptop to the PC (e.g. floppies) ?

Regards,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

Robert Deed

I'll add my 2 cents here too..

What brand wireless router are you using?

Certain revisions of the firmware of certain routers (off the top of my head I remember Linksys had this problem because I owned it, but other routers using the same chipset had the same problem) broke DHCP in OS/2 (and certain linux releases, win95, and a few others) however it worked fine with XP and 2000.   

Just to be on the safe side I would download the latest firmware for your router and update it.  Might as well remove atleast one of the possible problems.

Also, if you are using DHCP make sure that you have the network connection configured to DHCP, and if you have any problems with that run DHCPmon.  You can try releasing and getting a new "lease"  I've seen situations especially with Realtek cards that for some reason they fail to get their settings during boot.  Disconnecting and reconnecting usually fixes it.

Quote from: warpcafe on 2007.06.19, 23:10:43
Hi David,

Quote from: Dennis on 2007.06.19, 21:49:31

...actually the problem is not to install everything manually, but to find out what the f*** is going on with that machine (sorry for being so rude;-)).
First, the whole initial install process was error-prone beyond belief.
Secondly we don't know WHAt and HOW it was installed during network setup because we had a loss of messages in the forum here.
Third, we don't know if the network plug and/or patch cables are OK.
And last but not least, we need to know the cable modem/router setup.

Ehh... yep. That was it.
:-)

But on the other hand, we have already managed to get the machine up to the point where it is now... which I already consider as a success. :-)

@Dennis:
OK, waiting for your response. Oh, BTW: Could you also post your "protocol.ini" here if that's feasible? That will tell us how your network is set up... but beware of "typing" the contents - it's a lot usually. Have you any way of "transporting" files from the laptop to the PC (e.g. floppies) ?

Regards,
Thomas

Dennis

Hi!

Finally got back here!

Thomas:

After some hunting, I located the following info for the windoze(XP) system:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP
   IP Address: 192.168.0.100
   Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
   Default(Standard?) Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Network driver on laptop is 8139--no 8169 stuff.
Is tcp/ip + protocol(s) setup correct?--I have no idea.

Robert:

Thanks for the response. I'll try what you said.

Dennis

Dennis

Dennis

Oops! Forgot a couple things--

How do I upload a file(protocol.ini) from a floppy to this forum/topic?
How do I determine if I am using DHCP and the network connection is configured as DHCP?

Dennis
Dennis

Dennis

New Info Has Surfaced!

I ran DHCPMON. Results:
   DDNS host name: not registered
   IP Address: Not Configured
  Status
    Discovering DHCP Servers (it did not discover anything)

I clicked on the 'Actions' pull-down menu, clicked on 'Request Lease', nothing happened

Clicked on 'Configuration' pull-down--results:
   Adapter  lan0
   Option 18756

Could not select either---what  is option 18756?

Dennis
Dennis