• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Installing OS/2 4.52 on QEMU...

Started by madcrow, 2009.11.29, 21:38:24

Previous topic - Next topic

madcrow

... seems to be impossible. When trying to boot from the Boot CD (or actually an image of it), the emulated system freezes at the OS/2 logo screen. When attempting to boot from floppy images, I get a trap when disk 1 is loading that says something about an error in OS2LVM. My emulated configuration is a simple system with 64 MB of RAM and a 10 GB HD image, so that shouldn't be the problem. Any hints here? Does QEMU just not work with OS/2 4.52 or am I doing something wrong? Note, that I'm running QEMU in the emulation-only mode and not using any virtualization features, so bad reactions to my AMD CPU shouldn't be a part of the problem.

sXwamp

Radek

A way of having eCS on Linux? The hint page posted by sXwamp should help even if it is for winblows QEMU. Has anybody some experience with eCS on Linux using QEMU?

madcrow

I've gotten Warp 4 running before without any real problems. My question was more specifically about 4.52, which doesn't seem to play quite so nicely with qemu... Also, what I have is the IBM release of 4.52, not any of the eCS modded versions.

madcrow

Oh well. I'm giving up on QEMU and going over to the dark side and setting up a small Windows partition again so that I can run VPC... The irony of a Microsoft software stack being the best way to run OS/2 in a virtualized environment is palpable...

rwklein

Quote from: madcrow on 2009.12.01, 02:53:47
I've gotten Warp 4 running before without any real problems. My question was more specifically about 4.52, which doesn't seem to play quite so nicely with qemu... Also, what I have is the IBM release of 4.52, not any of the eCS modded versions.

I can't remeber what it was but something between Warp 4 and MCP got modified in the IBM1S506.ADD driver and/or the OS2DASD subsystem, that why Warp 4 used to work in some VM's and MCP not.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

rwklein

Quote from: Radek on 2009.11.30, 00:48:52
A way of having eCS on Linux? The hint page posted by sXwamp should help even if it is for winblows QEMU. Has anybody some experience with eCS on Linux using QEMU?

Well grab virtual box, you need CPU virtualsation (van der pool) its in almost ever recent duo core CPU this is special hardware support for virtual machines. Grab eCS 2.0 silver release this should install just fine with virtualbox on Linux (if you have this hardware virtualsation support!)

Roderick Klein
Mensys

Radek

The problem is I don't have VTX. I have an uniprocessor Pentium M machine. That's why I've got awaken when I've heard about attempts to run OS/2 on QEMU  :)
Okay, perhaps sometimes later :)

madcrow

Quote from: rwklein on 2009.12.08, 19:15:46
Quote from: Radek on 2009.11.30, 00:48:52

Well grab virtual box, you need CPU virtualsation (van der pool) its in almost ever recent duo core CPU this is special hardware support for virtual machines. Grab eCS 2.0 silver release this should install just fine with virtualbox on Linux (if you have this hardware virtualsation support!)

Roderick Klein
Mensys
Well, then I'm out of luck on that one. I'm still using a six year old box with an Athlon XP 3000+. It's one of the finest single core 32-bit chips ever made and handles most stuff quite well, but it seems that more and more things are coming out that just plain need CPU instructions that it doesn't have. If I weren't so broke, I'd upgrade.

Saijin_Naib

You could do a fairly cost conscious build using a Phenom 2 X2 and a lower end graphics chipset (x800 or 6800) and be supported by SNAP hardware accel. I would venture you could probably recycle much of your current build (PSU, case, drives) and build a new rig for under 300$.

Here is a quick build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103694
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131619
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148147 (times two)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143040 (Nvidia 6200)

Prospective cost of build:
232.95$
(assuming 2GB RAM [ease of eCS install], keep current case/drives/psu, purchase GeForce 6200)

madcrow

The hardware I have now could probably run eCs just as well as the new build you describe. I don't really have the money for eCs thgough, so I'm stuck with either the stuff my Dad bought before he gave up on OS/2 and became a Linux person (which peters out at Warp 4) and the stuff I can scavenge from other computer people who had OS/2 but gave up on it for whatver reason (I got my 4.52 stuff this way) For me, OS/2 is part of my broader interest in alternate OSes and computer history: it's not something I can spend money on.

Saijin_Naib

Yeah, but this has hardware virtualization so if you wanted to run Virtualbox under a Linux host and virtualize eCS and OS/2 it'd work much better.

But yeah, I feel you on the expense thing. I've had to let my Mensys subscriptions lapse because I simply can't justify the expense anymore. I also am using a rig I've had for 6 years now...