• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Maybe changing the layout for my site???

Started by sXwamp, 2009.12.04, 07:53:51

Previous topic - Next topic

sXwamp

I was thinking about changing the layout for my site. 

Here is a test page:

http://www.os2notes.com/abrasive/os2files.html

Any comments would be welcome!

Greggory

Saijin_Naib

I'm fonder of darker layouts, but the organization and style are really nice.

sXwamp

I think that I may go with this layout.

http://www.os2notes.com/index.html

RobertM

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

The only suggestion I have with simple is that the contrast between the blue text on the grey background is not enough for easily readability. Can you try either a brighter blue or maybe a grey that is very close to white or black?

sXwamp

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.12.04, 17:29:38
The only suggestion I have with simple is that the contrast between the blue text on the grey background is not enough for easily readability. Can you try either a brighter blue or maybe a grey that is very close to white or black?

I think you are right and I hate that color of blue anyways!

Thanks for the comments Saijin_Naib and Rob

Saijin_Naib

Here is a scheme I made for dapreview.net

I think the readability is nice, but it may not be what you are after. I can send you the CSS file if you want.

You can't see it, but the hover color is the orange that is on the top left bullet/arrow.

sXwamp

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.12.05, 03:42:30
Here is a scheme I made for dapreview.net

I think the readability is nice, but it may not be what you are after. I can send you the CSS file if you want.

You can't see it, but the hover color is the orange that is on the top left bullet/arrow.

Sure, I would love to see how things are done. All my sites are cut and paste, but I'm slowly learning :)

Greggory

Saijin_Naib

Here it is. Keep in mind its for a different layout/software, so you most likely won't be able to just use it as-is on your site. However, it has the hex color values for the different class types so that may help you make the colors and keep the physical layout of whatever one you choose.

RobertM

If it is helpful, I have written a tiny color value to hex script that I use when working on websites...

Primarily, I use it when I need to know a background color to blend with a background image or need to find out a background color from a site mockup I have done.

What I do is open the image in something like Embellish, use the color selector to select the color I am interested in, and then just drop the RGB values into the script... it then returns the value as one hex string that you can copy and paste into website code...

So, for your website, you can find the color you want using the color select dialog from Embellish, and then drop the RGB values into the script to get the hex ones.

Or you can do it the mathematical way... the colors are represented either by name (ie: "green") or by hex value in this fashion:

#RRGGBB

Just take any red (or green or blue) value of 0-255 and translate that to hex, pad left with a 0 if needed (ie: if the red value is 5, then the hex value for it is 05, and if the green value and blue value are 255, then their hex values are each FF, making the color string #05FFFF)

If it's useful, I can post it.

-Rob

-R

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Rob, could that tool be made into a GUI tool for eCS or OS/2? I think a simple color wheel/picker like that is always a great tool.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.12.05, 23:19:15
Rob, could that tool be made into a GUI tool for eCS or OS/2? I think a simple color wheel/picker like that is always a great tool.

Possibly. I dunno. I've got the color wheel/picker tool for one of the visual REXX packages, but (1) I've never tried it and (2) I dont know it it can select a color from outside it's window like Embellish can do.

I may look into it if I have time - but alas, at the moment I dont. Hence I simply use Embellish - because besides being able to pick/find a color in an image in it's own window, it will allow you to grab a color from any open window.

-Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

sXwamp

Quote from: RobertM on 2009.12.05, 23:03:48
If it is helpful, I have written a tiny color value to hex script that I use when working on websites...

If it's useful, I can post it.

-Rob

-R

Please do, sounds a lot easier than picking a color from a chart or trying to match colors.

Greggory