• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Pixel

Started by craigm, 2009.12.21, 14:21:48

Previous topic - Next topic

oli

Quote from: cytan on 2009.12.22, 04:30:32
I'm one of those "idiots" who paid for a copy of Pixel and of course, nothing is happening with it. I would hold a contrary view on PMView and I'd say that it is one of the most useful programmes I've used on OS/2 (which I also paid fo). I also use a Mac and, unbelievably, PMView is better than what's available on the Mac.

cytan

Oh it is an excellent program it is just that in the mid 90s I was talking to the author about a couple of minor features that would have transformed its usability and nothing has happened since, it is the fastest viewer you can find on windows and I often recommend it to friends but to most windows users it feels outdated

oli

Quote from: RobertM on 2009.12.22, 05:58:13
As for Pixel, I dont know enough about the situation to speculate. A business venture I was entrenched in promised a software package that was near complete and included a lot more features than promised, but was reliant on coding tools and compilers (and related libraries that were irreplaceable at any reasonable cost at that time) from another company. That company never fixed some major showstopper bugs, which required a lot of effort to circumvent those issues, leaving way too many unaddressable issues remaining even after those attempts. That company then promised new releases that addressed all of those issues, got some stuff in beta and quietly disappeared leaving the project I was working on dead in the water. That company was a big development company in Canada which slowly dwindled down to nothing. Our project was dead as soon as theirs died.

He was using Pascal and his own portable library, worked fine for OS/2

He also stopped working on all other "minor platforms", very shortly after having promoted the software heavily leading to lots of unhappy customers, that included Skyos, morphos, Beos, BSD, DOX and QNX

That Canadian company was not making databases was it?

oli

Quote from: cyber on 2009.12.22, 09:00:32
[
There is promised 'red eye removal' funtion for future. I personaly does not see anything else missing under PMView. I use it under Win and Linux systems too, even convience bunch of other (win)people to use it.

The problem with PMview is colourspace, it is less of a problem with LCD screens since there is much less depth perception but it is still noticeable vis a vis a Windows or a mac program

You can do redeye correction with PMview now, how photoshop handles it is really simple, it just renders a grey ring instead of the red, this gives the eyes a natural look if you do not look too cloesly, the only difference is that you will have to do this manually with PMview.

RobertM

Quote from: oli on 2009.12.25, 20:13:16
As for... That company was a big development company in Canada which slowly dwindled down to nothing. Our project was dead as soon as theirs died.

He...

Bingo! And it was at a time where the only other alternative was the waaaaay too expensive DB2 was the only other solution... though we owned that as well, the licensing needed for each copy would have made the end-product way too expensive for the target market. The other alternatives at that time were already discontinued or on their way. By the time MySQL became a viable solution (the 3.3x releases), it was waaaaay too late to continue the project, especially as it would have required a total rewrite from a staff we no longer even employed.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

oli

Quote from: RobertM on 2009.12.27, 21:05:34
Quote from: oli on 2009.12.25, 20:13:16
As for... That company was a big development company in Canada which slowly dwindled down to nothing. Our project was dead as soon as theirs died.

He...

Bingo! And it was at a time where the only other alternative was the waaaaay too expensive DB2 was the only other solution... though we owned that as well, the licensing needed for each copy would have made the end-product way too expensive for the target market. The other alternatives at that time were already discontinued or on their way. By the time MySQL became a viable solution (the 3.3x releases), it was waaaaay too late to continue the project, especially as it would have required a total rewrite from a staff we no longer even employed.

I spent 1500 USD on the Windows version of that development system +additional packs from the company, Imagine my surprise when I realised that it could not accept any input except ASCII, from a Canadian company ......., mind-bogglingly stupid, and they offered a refund but never made it.