• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

TabEdit

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2009.12.22, 03:39:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

I like it so far. However, I can't seem to get the Settings option to function when a blank document is open nor when a file is open. Could it be a configuration issue on my end?

Saijin_Naib

Awh, was kind of hoping that a document could be opened by dropping the file onto the TabEdit window.

RobertM

Have you used MED? If so, how does it compare?

Thanks,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Well, I have not used MED prior to just now, but I've attached screenshots of the two. It appears that MED is very much programmer oriented. It has syntax highlighting and a very powerful user interface. TabEdit is quite simple really. It appears to be e.exe with Merlin Tabs for multiple files. I rather like the interface of TabEdit and think it would be pretty bad-ass if it were to support syntax highlighting and maybe XML stuff too.

melf

Hi, Sajin,
have you tried ME-editor, by Martin Vieregg? Check http://www.hypermake.com/english/n015.html#hd15

It is especially good if you also use windows or if your partner does. One click on  a button make txt in ibm, windows format. Every important function is in a simple slimmed toolbar.
/Mikael

Saijin_Naib

Thanks Melf. It looks pretty nice. What is the difference between IBM and Windows .txt files? I like how it can open large text files without freezing up. Notepad is not great at that. I sometimes have massive text files to open (LIDAR data) under windows, and I may use this to replace Notepad for that.

melf

I guess they're coded different. Well i didn't think there really. I guess only countries with special signs like in sweden, denmark germany and so are affected. These signs differ and mess things up when you collaborate with partners using windows and vice versa.
/Mikael

Saijin_Naib

It appears that TabEdit window title is misspelled somewhere in the .exe
Is this something I can hex-edit to change?

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.12.23, 20:58:47
It appears that TabEdit window title is misspelled somewhere in the .exe
Is this something I can hex-edit to change?

Possibly. It depends on how the exe and it's resources are compiled. You can always open a copy of it with a Hex Editor and see.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.12.23, 18:42:50
Thanks Melf. It looks pretty nice. What is the difference between IBM and Windows .txt files? I like how it can open large text files without freezing up. Notepad is not great at that. I sometimes have massive text files to open (LIDAR data) under windows, and I may use this to replace Notepad for that.

e.exe and epm.exe aren't the best at it either, and tend to make the WPS unresponsive while they try to plod through large files. MED (the OS/2 version and possibly the older Windows versions) is bad at it too - but at least it doesnt seem to make the WPS crawl, and eventually just crashes (and is closable/killable during it's attempt to open "massive" files).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

When I say massive, I mean plaintext files on the order of a gigabyte or so :P

Saijin_Naib

I set up tabedit to be the default program instead of e/ae.exe ( for text, batch, cmd, etc).
However, when I try and open a file by double-clicking TabEdit will fail to open it. In order to view a file, I have to drag it to an open Tab-Edit window or open it from within the program.

Am I doing something wrong here or?

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.12.28, 11:01:16
I set up tabedit to be the default program instead of e/ae.exe ( for text, batch, cmd, etc).
However, when I try and open a file by double-clicking TabEdit will fail to open it. In order to view a file, I have to drag it to an open Tab-Edit window or open it from within the program.

Am I doing something wrong here or?

How did you set up the associations?

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Remove them from the program object for E, put them on the program (.exe) for TabEdit.

Andi

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.12.23, 23:57:33
When I say massive, I mean plaintext files on the order of a gigabyte or so :P
Only Editor I know so far which works with big files reasonable well is VisualSlickEdit. But there's for sure the 2GB limit as the latest version 4.0 is from 1999.