• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Ecomstation Silver crashes whenever Firefox starts in Virtualbox + other problem

Started by cytan, 2009.12.28, 22:01:12

Previous topic - Next topic

cytan

Hi Guys,
   I've installed the latest version of virtualbox (3.1.2) on my iMac running snow leopard. I'm having the hardest time with the Ecomstation Silver installation:

(a) Everytime I reinstall, I have to type in by hand the registration code from ECS 1.2. Is there a way to make it read from file. I tried putting my registration key on a JFS partition in the Vbox vdi, but Silver just doesn't see it!

(b) The first start of Firefox on Silver just crashes the kernel. See picuture. I did NOT enable ACPI during the install (the ACPI box was not checked). I'm using Panorama drivers set to highest resolution of 1600x1200x16777216. Then after the first crash, FF refuses to start again, even with a fresh FF re-install. And the vbox extensions were not installed at this point. This is from a fresh install.

(c) How do I share folders? I tried doing what the VirtualBox help says:
   net use u: \\vboxsvr\imac

where imac has been set in the Vbox shared menu. I get the errror:
NET3503: OS/2 error 53 has occurred.
SYS0053: The network path was not found

Any help would be appreciated!

cytan

sXwamp

Try the settings listed on this page:

http://www.os2notes.com/os2virtualpc.html

Alot of people are having success with Vbox 3.06 and the settings listed on my site.

Greggory

Radek

As far as the key is concerned, you should be able to download the key file from ecomstation.com . You can also create the file yourself and place it on an USB device or on a floppy image. Then you can read in the key "from diskette". The format of the file:

<USERNAME>
[17 chars]
</USERNAME>
<REGKEY>
[11 chars] - [11 chars]
[11 chars] - [11 chars]
[11 chars] - [11 chars]
[11 chars] - [11 chars]
</REGKEY>

All characters are uppercased, there are blanks around the '-' character. The data structure is the same as it is on your licence. No chars before <USERNAME> or after </REGKEY>, no blank lines in between, CP850, no unicode. I hope I counted the characters well :)

It is necessary that the device with the key can be mounted to the virtual machine during the installation. I do not have VBox so that I don't know what you can mount. Rumor is that you cannot read the key from a CD. The name of the file does not matter.

RobertM

Quote from: cytan on 2009.12.28, 22:01:12
Hi Guys,
   I've installed the latest version of virtualbox (3.1.2) on my iMac running snow leopard. I'm having the hardest time with the Ecomstation Silver installation:

(a) Everytime I reinstall, I have to type in by hand the registration code from ECS 1.2. Is there a way to make it read from file. I tried putting my registration key on a JFS partition in the Vbox vdi, but Silver just doesn't see it!

cytan

Hi cytan,

In addition to Radek's suggestion, here's what I do (along the same lines, but helps if I cannot get USB working and the machine does not have a floppy). I use an ISO editor (usually on Windows) and simply drop a text file with the key information exactly as Radek specified, onto the CD in the root directory (or a subfolder named "CD_Key" - though any name will work - whichever is easiest for you to find it in). Then I re-burn the image.

Then you can simply load it from the file on the CD - which can seriously help on a machine without a floppy drive and an unsupported USB (or a USB config that is not supported by the installer).

I also like that method, because then I print out the CD Key, put it in the disk holder with the original, put it on a shelf and never touch it again. Though it isn't a frequent occurrence, I have dropped disks and damaged them (I was installing one machine, dropped a disk, moved my chair to reach it and the base spun when it moved running a wheel right over it). Most people probably dont have that luck, but since I do, I like never touching the original if I can make a backup to use.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

cytan

OK, after reinstalling ecomstation many times using deprecated versions of VBox, I have finally managed to install Silver on the latest version of VBox 3.1.2. I was using deprecrated versions of VBox because there was some chatter that Silver would only install in 3.0.x versions of Vbox.

Unfortunately, there are other pitfalls. Any miscofiguration of USB during Silver install would result it a frozen machine in the 2nd pass of the ecomstation install setup. Plus the FF which came with silver crashes and brings down silver until I zipped my working FF on my PC (version 3.5.4), deleted the FF directory on silver and unzipped my working FF into it. No crashes now! So what I have working in VBox running silver are:

(a) Sound
(b) FF using 3.5.4 (Tb works fine)
(c) USB flash disk
(d) networking
(e) guest additions, so that mouse can "escape" from vbox.
(f) Panorama VESA at 1600x1200.

However, I still don't have shared folder's yet. I think the only way may be to use Samba to do shares. Also I think there is a way to get away from the 4x3 video format to 16x9 from some of the discussion elsewhere.

I'll do a quick write up once I get it all done (or give up).

cytan

cytan

Uggghhhh ... For some reason Silver is no longer recognizing that a USB flash drive has been inserted. (And there have been no changes since the last time Silver saw the USB flash drive). Going through the vbox news groups, there may be some flakeyness with USB. OK, now something even weirder, with a USB stick attached (although not recognized), I lose ethernet!

I can live without USB flash as long as I can get to a directory via SAMBA. I really need to figure this out or else Silver on Vbox is not very useful if it cannot share files with my MacOSX host.

cytan

Radek

(1) USB problems: What is usbconfig saying? You can download usbconfig from Hobbes. A very nice and useful utility.
(2) Widescreen and Panorama: You need a widescreen helper for it. AFAIK the widescreen helper exists only for NVidia and ATI, moreover the ATI helper does not know 1920x1200. If your VBox emulates something else, you are out of luck.

cytan

Well, I found out what the f***ing problem is. It's vbox 3.1.2. Going back to vbox 3.0.12 fixes the USB problem, now Silver sees my usb stick! Plus ethernet doesn't go out with USB. All my previous statements about FF, sound etc is still accurate. Good, at least I found a version which actually works with Silver! Now for Samba and wide screen. Stayed tuned ...

cytan

cytan

Woo hoo, I got wide screen mode. Posting from FF in ecomstation in vbox!

cytan

cytan

Got Samba working and sharing files between Silver and MacOSX folders. All done!

I'll have a quick write up real soon now.

cytan

sXwamp

Quote from: cytan on 2009.12.31, 04:30:41

cytan

I just installed eCS 2.0 in vbox 4.04, could you please post how you got wide screen mode active please !!!

Thanks,

Greggory

cytan

Quote from: sXwamp on 2011.03.27, 22:51:17
Quote from: cytan on 2009.12.31, 04:30:41

cytan

I just installed eCS 2.0 in vbox 4.04, could you please post how you got wide screen mode active please !!!

Thanks,

Greggory

See attached pdf. The stuff prior is probably not up to date. But the wide screen stuff should still be the same.

cytan

miturbide

Thanks cytan

I will also try your documentation to update the OS2World.com Wiki.

You are welcome to update the page too.
http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_Guest
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com