• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Question about Odin, Innotek and Odinized software

Started by miturbide, 2010.01.18, 15:22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Hi

I had a doubt and I will apreciate any lights on this topic.

Innotek had their software, which was based in Odin (correct me if Im wrong), to odinize windows applications like the Java runtime and Acrobat reader.  (was The InnoTek Runtime for OS/2 ??)

What happen to that software that belonged to Innotek ? Is it public ? or it is all include in the Odin project and it is available for everybody ?

This is a topic were I wasn't deep involved before, so anyone that will like to explain this, or correct me if I'm work, will be apreciated.

Regards
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Fahrvenugen

Hi,

It is true - just about all of the Innotek stuff needed the Innotek Runtime, which is Odin based.  The following runs with it:

-Java 1.4.2
-Acrobat Reader 4 and 5
-Innotek Font Engine (based on Freetype)

It was the Runtime that had the Odin updates.  As for the stuff in that package, I'm not sure if it ever made its way back into the Odin source before Sun bought Innotek.  Someone who's worked with the Odin stuff would likely be able to answer that question better then me.

As for the other stuff, it is still available on various download sites and such.  When Sun purchased Innotek, they pretty much stopped officially distributing the stuff (Sun was really only interested in Innotek for Virtualbox). 

From what I understand for the other software (Java, Acrobat Reader) Innotek took the original binary releases and just put together new installers and loaders for them, leaving the original binary intact.  The new loader converted the binary from a PE loader (Windows) to an LX loader (what OS/2 uses) and redirected API calls to the Innotek Runtime (Odin) API to make it all work.  Since this all relied on original Windows binary distributions, the big benefit would be the Odin stuff they'd worked on.

miturbide

but, my doubt remains, is the Innotek Runtime Pack source code publically available ?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

rwklein

I know Adrian Gschwend from Netlabs try to get the source code for the Innotek runtime before SUN bought Innotek.
So no joy...

Roderick Klein
Mensys

abwillis

Probably the biggest update to the Innowin Runtime over the available Odin source is in:
Win32MemMap
What other updates there are for certain I don't know but that is the one that would be really nice to have.
Andy