• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OpenOffice.org and .xlsx files

Started by Blonde Guy, 2010.02.02, 02:44:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Blonde Guy

I have OOo for eCS and it can open and edit .xlsx files, but it can't save them. Am I missing something?
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

RobertM

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2010.02.02, 02:44:07
I have OOo for eCS and it can open and edit .xlsx files, but it can't save them. Am I missing something?

Save as standard xls format...

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Blonde Guy

That's pretty bad. If someone sends me .XLSX, they are expecting it back in the same format.

While I'm shopping for a new OS/2 office suite, I tried Zoho Office. It does save the sheet with .XLSX, and it looks pretty convincing. The resulting .XLSX file is a lot smaller than the original. I'm wondering what is missing.

RobertM

More info here:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=78820

This is basically the spec that they wrote for "cross-document" compatibility and then provided outdated and often incorrect (7000-8000 pages worth) of specs for so "everyone" could use them (to come up with an only partially working solution, as well as in some places an incompatible solution due to the missing or outdated (and changed) pieces in the docs they sent - which was part of the complaint lodged against them in the EU lawsuit).

The differences are talked about in that thread as well. Basically, though xlsx files have the capability for added functionality (in equations and so on), most people seem never to run into issues with it... and xls files are upwards compatible with anyone using a newer version of Excel that contains xlsx support. So, unless they are creating some crazy new formulas/equations/etc, returning them an xls file should not be a problem in anything other than the increased size.

Regardless of whether the original xlsx file uses "the new stuff" or not, OOo will give you a warning about saving it to xls format (inotherwords, even if there is nothing in the doc that prevents it from being saved as xls and still fully work, OOo will still warn you that it is possible).

Best,
Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Blonde Guy

OK, it's not a limitation of the eCS version, however, it is a requirement, just as in the thread you quoted. There is no requirement to use OpenOffice, however, while there is one for XLSX format.

Zoho Office does so, and runs nicely in Firefox 3.5.7 under eCS.

This isn't meant as a criticism of OOo for eCS. For people with a round-trip requirement for XLSX files, Zoho office is a reasonable application. I also think that OOo will eventually support XLSX format.

abwillis

Very few have any idea what format they save, send, or receive.  By default Windows hides known extensions.  Of course, I used to convert XLS files to 123 before sending them back  ;D

StefanZ

I fully agree...

...and it happens to me all the times, that I convert to ODF (.ods) and then send back (we are urged to use Symphony @work). Sometimes I get a crazy reply like - what have you sent? My system cannot open the document :D

Anyway - just out of curiosity: is there any "real logic" after the strict requirement of using .xlsx only?

RobertM

Quote from: StefanZ on 2010.02.03, 18:53:50
Anyway - just out of curiosity: is there any "real logic" after the strict requirement of using .xlsx only?

I dunno about real logic, but in an environment where there may be more Excel savvy users who may take advantage of the more complex capabilities supported by xlsx, it may end up being a requirement (since xls doesnt support everything).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

If you're using tilt tables and massive data sets, XLSX becomes a requirement quite fast. I've run into this a few times working with spectroscopy data for plants.

Blonde Guy

No, of course there is no technical requirement. But if a company has a requirement for xlsx, then I am obligated to conform. However, I wonder now if I save an XLS and rename it XLSX, will they actually know what happened?

Any Excel users out there?

Saijin_Naib

Can you clarify your question? XLS and XLSX are completely different formats. Simply renaming it from XLS to XLSX will not fool anyone. In fact, upon open it will throw an error about the file being corrupt.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2010.02.11, 05:03:34
Can you clarify your question? XLS and XLSX are completely different formats. Simply renaming it from XLS to XLSX will not fool anyone. In fact, upon open it will throw an error about the file being corrupt.

Yes, (as Saijin_Naib pointed out) that may work on OS/2, but it will not work on Windows because of two factors that I can think of off the top of my head:

- Windows uses file extensions to determine file type (OS/2 does not)

- OOo seems to parse a file to determine it's actual type due to the fact it is importing a non-"native" format.

Best,
R

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

zizban

Despite their best efforts, OpenOffice still has trouble keeping up with MS ' file formats, especially the OOXML format that the new versions of Office use. It's not just an OS/2 thing.

Blonde Guy

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2010.02.11, 05:03:34

OK, you answered my question. Just renaming won't work. It's not a question of "fooling" someone. I just want to work in their document flow. I'll change the XLSX format (which OOo reads just fine), but I need to get their change back to them. They're set up to save in XLSX format, and they are expecting the filename not to change.

In the past, I have been able to get away with gross transgressions, because MS Office tools aren't that compatible with themselves. (Change the Printer on a Word Doc, and it may change badly enough to destroy data) Also, for a document with many users, one user may use styles and another use Word as a text editor, and that combination will likely cause data loss. The reason that I have been able to work inside a MS Office data flow using OS/2 and OS/2 tools is that there is this wiggle room.

All I'm looking for is some way to continue to use OS/2 inside a MS Office data flow. (The dataflow app is eRoom, if you are familiar with it. When I have my eCS machine inside their network, it uses eRoom fluently)

RobertM

Open Office 3.2 supposedly has improved support for .xlsx files.

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.2/

• Password protected Microsoft Office XML files (supported document types: MS Word 2007 documents (*.docx, *.docm); MS Word 2007 templates (*.dotx, *.dotm); MS Excel 2007 documents (*.xlsx, *.xlsm); MS Excel 2007 binary documents (*.xlsb); MS Excel 2007 templates (*.xltx, *.xltm); MS Powerpoint 2007 documents (*.pptx, *.pptm); MS Powerpoint 2007 templates (*.potx, *.potm)).
  • OLE objects, form controls and pivot tables can now be read from MS Excel 2007 documents (*.xlsx, *.xlsb).

Sadly, it does not seem to indicate whether that improved support includes the ability to write them and seems to focus on functionality within the document and/or reading password protected versions.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|