• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

RAID 5 Recovery - Dell PowerEdge 4400 - Perc 3Di

Started by NNYITGuy, 2010.02.23, 13:20:24

Previous topic - Next topic

NNYITGuy

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for recovering a RAID 5 container?

The client had physical disk 3 of 4 fail out in a RAID 5 container.  The client then used a physical disk from another identical spare system.  The physical disk was labeled as a member of 0 of a RAID 1 container.  Unknown by the client, this apparently, when initialized wipes out the other containers on the PERC controller.

I have exhausted my internal technical resources on how to retrieve the RAID 5 data.  Can someone give me a path forward?

Very Greatful,
-Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

rwklein

Is he is realy screwed and can't do anything to recover the container, you could consider contacting maybe this company. www.retrodata.co.uk

I don't know if this is an OS/2 box you want recovered they just received a NFR copy of eComStation to look how they can support OS/2/eCS.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

RobertM

Unfamiliar with those cards, but on some, you can re-read the RAID configuration from the drives themselves. That would require removing the replacement drive first.

Additionally, it is always best to wipe a replacement drive before putting it in a system. That just requires a SCSI controller with that feature, or the use of certain RAID tools on controllers that support it.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Sev0600

Sound like the data might be gone or corrupt at this point. You can always call Dell Support on this, they will take your call even though the server is out of warranty.

If the disks were not initalized, you should be able to clear the controllers current configuration, recreate the RAID 5 array, save the new configuration, then reboot without initializing disks.

I've just successfully tested this using a Dell Power Connect Cache Server with 2 drives configured as RAID 1 and an old Dell workstation that has a PERC II controller in it.

RobertM

Quote from: Sev0600 on 2010.02.24, 02:50:13
Sound like the data might be gone or corrupt at this point. You can always call Dell Support on this, they will take your call even though the server is out of warranty.

If the disks were not initalized, you should be able to clear the controllers current configuration, recreate the RAID 5 array, save the new configuration, then reboot without initializing disks.

I've just successfully tested this using a Dell Power Connect Cache Server with 2 drives configured as RAID 1 and an old Dell workstation that has a PERC II controller in it.

In his particular case, wont this cause a problem if he does not clear the new drive, or actually (the better option?) reinstall the old one? If he recreates the RAID configuration with the new (unwiped) drive in it, how will it know which drive was bad in order to rebuild the array correctly?

Asking because I am not sure, as I have not ever had issues on the rare few machines I have handled that had the PERC II controllers.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Sev0600

No, it should not cause a problem assuming disk 3 is in a failed state when he inserts the new disk.

In this particular case, I would recreate the array with the old drive (forcing the failed disk online if it shows failed), save the configuration then reboot. The server should boot even if the disk fails again (may prompt to press F1 to continue or F2  for setup).

mobybrick

This is going to sound daft, but I wonder... did your colleague pull out the wrong disk?  When disks go bad on the PERC, the orange failed light should flash. Was this the disk that he pulled? If he pulled it when the system was off, then he might have pulled the wrong one. If he did, then the container will have been destroyed and needing re-initializing.

On some of the dell chasis, the discs are labelled 1...8 from the right hand side... but of course, in the RAID bios the disks are labelled 0...7.

PERC2s sometimes flagged as disk as 'bad' inadvertantly, but this was fixed in the PERC3 which is based on a different family/manufacturer of chipset.

Regards,
Moby