• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS: News from the bugfixing frontline

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2010.02.28, 08:02:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Is there a "Like This" button?

I'm pretty excited for this...

The VESA drivers in Linux and Windows Vista/7 are absolutely fantastic fast and I'm hopeful that now Panorama can keep pace with them.

warpcafe

Hey,

no, we have no Facebook-like rating style so far :)
But before you get too excited: It doesn't mean that we will forcibly see a 400% performance increase with every system and adapter... at least I can't tell. Perhaps I should do an interview with Roderick and ask him if that fix means we'll see that increase everywhere (with all adapters so to say)

Cheers
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

That may be helpful.

Do you know if they still are considering using SDDhelp.sys in conjunction with Panorama? I read somewhere that this would actually help the performance of Panorama significantly.

Also, do you know if this will add support for Nvidia and VIA display adapters and widescreen?

If you can Thomas, any more information will be greatly appreciated and valuable.

CDRWSel

Hi,

The introduced changes improved my panorama video performance (I used following benchmark tool : http://www.os2warp.org/sysbench/sysb095c.zip)
The performance are without video accelerator (panorama) and the result did a jump from 7.700PM with older GRADD.SYS to my best new graddd.sys benchmark of 166.000PM and most time above 145.000PM. This gain in performance is true for those having bad MTRR setting. For others, I don't know. Just do some benchmark test and compare results (my results are for a gforce 9600gt)      

An older test using SDDhelp.sys in conjunction with Panorama and older gradd.sys didn't improve video speed on my I7 system but seemed to improve performance for other system. What I could read about use of SDDHelp was more like a bypass to bad performance with various results.

Cheers/2
Remy

note: It doesn't add wide screen support like previous one didn't.

abwillis

I was the initial person to post about using sddhelp.sys (stumbled on it by accident when I forgot to remove it).  On my T42 it made a huge difference when using Panorama but Snap works very well on this machine so I was only testing Panorama as even with sddhelp.sys it did not reach the performance of Snap (as seen by sysbench but its actual use felt pretty good).  If I were to guess, what it probably did was set the MTRR and for those systems it didn't help it probably wasn't setting the MTRR correctly either.  Also, for those interested, I've been running the gradd.sys from Panorama with Snap since it came out as it boosts the speed of Snap by a small amount (the new one didn't change the benchmarks on my T42 by much when using Snap over the older Panorama gradd.sys but it was marginally faster).