• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

What does eCS and T43 have against my Travelstar?

Started by steve b, 2010.03.21, 21:47:29

Previous topic - Next topic

steve b

I have a T-Star (HGST) DK23EB-20 HD that I would like to install eCS on, failing that have it boot from the HD position on my T43.

At present I have OS/2 14.xx loaded on a single primary startable HPFS partition on this drive. It boots and runs from the Ultrabay, but when I put in the HD caddy, It skips the 2010 error message (oh yeah!), but then stops with "OS not found". When I use my other OS/2 drive in the HD caddy, it accesses DK23EB normally. It looks normal in FDISK, DFSEE says the mbr is identical to the booting OS/2.

When I boot from eCS with the DK23EB in the ultrabay, eCS can't see it. DFSEE on the eCS drive can see it, doesn't show any errors or anomalies that I recognize. When I try to install eCS from CD, I can't get it recognized either. I have tried removing the partition, rewriting the mbr, making it startable from DFSEE's LVM editor, working from another computer.

I have run the Lenovo firmware update utility on it. This model is not on the list (DK23EA and DK23FB are), but the firmware number is read and 'no firmware update needed' message appears.

I bought this drive used and initially set it up with a 10gig FAT32 partition and a 10gig HPFS startable partition 2nd. Worked fine, although I don't think I tried booting with it in the HD caddy

As I understand it from a thankfully distant HD disaster recovery, to boot a drive you just need 1) a valid mbr 2) a valid partition table 3) a properly placed file system 4) a working kernel. I understand there a few other things that could still be wrong, such as computer BIOS not in the same ball field as the HD firmware. But given that the same HD works on the same computer in other configurations eliminates most (I'm thinking all) other issues. My T43 has the next to the last BiOS version.

Can anyone see the error in my thinking, or something I need to try/do?

RobertM

Have you made sure that the UltraBay is a bootable media device?

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Blonde Guy

Not all drives are compatible with the T43. I have found some that work, some that work with error 2010, and some that simply don't work. All drives should work in the Ultrabay. This is because the T43 wants certain programs in the firmware, and will fail if they are not there.

the BIOS version is good, that way you can bypass 2010 without having to press F1, and, at least with some drives, continue booting.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

RobertM

More info can be found here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_non-ThinkPad_hard_disks

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=48804

One possibly key suggestion is using the BIOS F12 section to select the boot device (in this case, the UltraBay drive).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|